GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So i'm trying to figure out my fuel pump setup and my just try to modify the OEM basket bu throwing in a Walbro 450 with a Holley HydraMat using this tutorial. I'm just skeptical about using zip ties to attach the pump to the assembly, especially without being able to easily check on them over time and it failing could cost a lot of money. Is it ok to use metal hose clamps for it as long as it is rated for E85?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
The gauge in my car slowly comes up to temp. No fluctuations. I have see this twice on other cars, once it was a duff thermostat & once an air bubble working it's way through the system.
I fill with a vacuum tool so there shouldn't be any air in the system. Mine behaved as it usually does this morning... went straight to 190 and stayed there.

I'll just keep an eye on it. I'm prepared to replace it, just trying to hold off on more work until next Summer.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If your T-stat was borked youd know it. They don't typically partially or gradually fail. Its like an on off switch. They either get stuck open or closed.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
could it be due to a kinked line or partial blockage?

jedred1

jedred1
I'm about to get this setup for just under $500 from Tirerack.com. My question is when you push the calipers pistons back in to fit the new pads will the break fluid leak out the top of the reservoir? I have been told to take the cap off prior to starting the job. None of the DIYs I've watched have address it. I have 95000 mi and have never replaced my setup. Thank you for your help

HAWK HPS STREET BRAKE PADS
Front and rear

HAWK TALON ROTORS - SLOTTED & DRILLED
FRONT and Rear

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm about to get this setup for just under $500 from Tirerack.com. My question is when you push the calipers pistons back in to fit the new pads will the break fluid leak out the top of the reservoir? I have been told to take the cap off prior to starting the job. None of the DIYs I've watched have address it. I have 95000 mi and have never replaced my setup. Thank you for your help

HAWK HPS STREET BRAKE PADS
Front and rear

HAWK TALON ROTORS - SLOTTED & DRILLED
FRONT and Rear

With 95k and no brake service yet, I would completely flush out that fluid. Forget about it leaking/overflowing, just replace it entirely.

But the answer is yes, if you're keeping the fluid and just changing pads, you should uncap the reservoir.

jedred1

jedred1
I did have the fluid flushed at 80000 mi. It's just the pads and rotors I've never done. I've had them inspected annually. I have no complaints I just figured I should change them anyways. At least once in 100000 mi. :rolleyes:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I did have the fluid flushed at 80000 mi. It's just the pads and rotors I've never done. I've had them inspected annually. I have no complaints I just figured I should change them anyways. At least once in 100000 mi. :rolleyes:

Brake fluid is changed at time interval, not distance driven. If it hasn't been changed in 2 years you are over due.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I’m overdue. Was too busy adding moar powa!! I’ll have to add it to my need to do maintenance list!!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
If the brake fluid was ever topped off with worn pads, then yes it could leak out the top when you compress the pistons. Just keep an eye on the level, rinse with water if you happen to spill any. Flush it every 2 years, 20,000miles or even more often if you track it.

Cheetoh

Hey everyone . I’ve been looking for a mk6 , and I found one 2011 has 111k miles and four door. Has a new trans and clutch done $6k has a dent behind the back driver side door
Vs a 2009 with TSI 109k miles two door asking $5500. My question is the should I save some cash and get the mk5 or is the mk6 that much better . Thanks

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Hey everyone . I’ve been looking for a mk6 , and I found one 2011 has 111k miles and four door. Has a new trans and clutch done $6k has a dent behind the back driver side door
Vs a 2009 with TSI 109k miles two door asking $5500. My question is the should I save some cash and get the mk5 or is the mk6 that much better . Thanks
At that mileage on the mk6 you need to see if the timing tensioner and chain has been replaced. If that's not something you can do yourself it's a pretty good bill. I'm not familiar with mk5s, so I'm not sure what to look out for there.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
At that mileage on the mk6 you need to see if the timing tensioner and chain has been replaced. If that's not something you can do yourself it's a pretty good bill. I'm not familiar with mk5s, so I'm not sure what to look out for there.
It's a TSI mk5 so same motor. Really at that point it just matters what style you like more. Under the body they're basically the same car. I'd say both will need the chain done soon and that should be first priority, and maybe a carbon cleaning