GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

SmurfVWmk1

Hey guys! I’ve owned my GTI a year and a half and I love it. But recently there’s a nasty rattle coming from all over the cabin and it’s very annoying. I’ve identified the sunglasses holder, and both doors from the passenger side. I have an Euronext exhaust and I have michellin pilot sport 4s too. When I’m at low RPMs the exhaust is deeper and the rattle intensifies. And at high speed there’s a weird “rolling” and cyclical sound. (I don’t think I can explain it).

has my exhaust vibration loosened my cabin? Are my tires to noisy? Please help.
Thank you!

torga

Autocross Champion
Hey guys! I’ve owned my GTI a year and a half and I love it. But recently there’s a nasty rattle coming from all over the cabin and it’s very annoying. I’ve identified the sunglasses holder, and both doors from the passenger side. I have an Euronext exhaust and I have michellin pilot sport 4s too. When I’m at low RPMs the exhaust is deeper and the rattle intensifies. And at high speed there’s a weird “rolling” and cyclical sound. (I don’t think I can explain it).

Thank you!

Honestly... just learn to live with rattles. There will always be some. You stamp one down and another rattle will come out in short order. Chasing them turns into an endless game.

I at least know how to fix the sunglasses holder rattling. If you pop it open, you'll see how the holder kinda clips/nests into the roof console - you should see a seam between the two. All I did was cut small slivers of an index card (maybe 1cm X 2cm) and I shimmed that gap until it was tight. Hasn't rattled in 3 years now.

torga

Autocross Champion
Y'all have any idea what byte in 09 module I can change to force DRL to come on? Been dealing with a coding issue on my headlights. Nutshell is, '1F' as byte 18 keeps errors at bay from my LED tails, but messes with the headlights. With 1F, the DRL are on when they should be, but the passenger side DRL turns off when the low beams are on.
I tried changing to Golf GTI NAR ('20' as byte 18). Unfortunately, all the bulb-out errors from the LED tails are back, but this at least allows both DRL to stay on when the low beams come on. However, the DRL now stay off under headlights-off circumstances -- the "DRL" option in the MFD menu is turned on.

Still have some troubleshooting to do to make everything work perfectly, just looking for a quick band-aid for now.

Edit: Should have looked a little harder before posting. Found this post on Vortex that I will try out in a bit. It lists a byte 26 value as a likely culprit for DRL staying off.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Y'all have any idea what byte in 09 module I can change to force DRL to come on? Been dealing with a coding issue on my headlights. Nutshell is, '1F' as byte 18 keeps errors at bay from my LED tails, but messes with the headlights. With 1F, the DRL are on when they should be, but the passenger side DRL turns off when the low beams are on.
I tried changing to Golf GTI NAR ('20' as byte 18). Unfortunately, all the bulb-out errors from the LED tails are back, but this at least allows both DRL to stay on when the low beams come on. However, the DRL now stay off under headlights-off circumstances -- the "DRL" option in the MFD menu is turned on.

Still have some troubleshooting to do to make everything work perfectly, just looking for a quick band-aid for now.

Edit: Should have looked a little harder before posting. Found this post on Vortex that I will try out in a bit. It lists a byte 26 value as a likely culprit for DRL staying off.
On the obd11 app it shows a bunch of check boxes under byte 18 but not all of them have descriptions. I think I may need to do the wiring at the cecm. I popped my euro switch in and it's doing the same thing/ rear fog on with lights/drl on.

UPDATE:
04- no good, only LF DRL comes on, and rear fog comes on with DRL
15- no DRL function/error
33- drls flicker
21- DRL's function normally, no tail light errors, but left backup light error comes on

Tried these after reading some of the million page thread on vortex FML

I had the same issue and did a LOT of research to find out what was going on. Mine were coded correctly leaving me with no passenger side DRL, but the rear fog came on every time that the headlights were on. The reason for this, oddly enough, is that with the addition of the DRLs VW started pinning the CECM differently. The rear fog is being supplied power because it thinks that it is now the DRL, because that is how they were wired over there. I will try to track down more of the info that I used and check back in.
It's so hard to find the right information when there's 11 million posts about it. I have factory bi-xenon headlamps. I had the byte 18 coded to 21. This would be perfectly fine for tails with out a rear fog. I needed to run the 04 coding(row GTI), and then swap the two pins at the cecm(to negate the drl/fog errors). Black pin 28 to brown pin 47. Now everything works perfect, no warnings, both drl's on, only the right reverse lamp comes on. Also got the mfi coded so I can manually control the DRL if desired. Need to order an additional trigger wire for the fog
Old posts quoted

torga

Autocross Champion
Old posts quoted

Damn, you really are the keeper of the scrolls. Get your flair changed, man. Thanks!
I read through some of the extra links y'all talked about, and it may be that I need to do the pin swap that was mentioned a few times. Gonna read through some other threads I found to make sure.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Damn, you really are the keeper of the scrolls. Get your flair changed, man. Thanks!
I read through some of the extra links y'all talked about, and it may be that I need to do the pin swap that was mentioned a few times. Gonna read through some other threads I found to make sure.
I would add that we both have factory xenon headlamps. I did the DRL mfd change, and I don't remember that screwing anything up. It just added the function in the cluster settings.

Edit: Swapping the pins isn't too difficult besides crawling under the dash. I didn't have a special tool to do it either. I custom fab'd a paper clip, flattened the tips with a light hammer blow and bent it in a loop.

torga

Autocross Champion
I would add that we both have factory xenon headlamps. I did the DRL mfd change, and I don't remember that screwing anything up. It just added the function in the cluster settings.

Edit: Swapping the pins isn't too difficult besides crawling under the dash. I didn't have a special tool to do it either. I custom fab'd a paper clip, flattened the tips with a light hammer blow and bent it in a loop.

I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the trigger wire. I have to bend myself in 8 places, but it's not too bad otherwise. The pin swap is done within a single connector, right? Some of these posts have confusing wording and make it seem like one wire from one connector has to be repinned into a different connector. Or maybe they meant the other half of the CECM connector, since it splits in two?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the trigger wire. I have to bend myself in 8 places, but it's not too bad otherwise. The pin swap is done within a single connector, right? Some of these posts have confusing wording and make it seem like one wire from one connector has to be repinned into a different connector. Or maybe they meant the other half of the CECM connector, since it splits in two?
There is one connector with a brown housing and one with a black. This is German engineering, it doesn't have to make sense :ROFLMAO:

torga

Autocross Champion
There is one connector with a brown housing and one with a black. This is German engineering, it doesn't have to make sense :ROFLMAO:

Ok, so I straight up will have to unhook two connectors and swap a wire from one to the other. Thought it was just moving a wire from one pin to another within the same connector. Thanks!

SmurfVWmk1

Honestly... just learn to live with rattles. There will always be some. You stamp one down and another rattle will come out in short order. Chasing them turns into an endless game.

I at least know how to fix the sunglasses holder rattling. If you pop it open, you'll see how the holder kinda clips/nests into the roof console - you should see a seam between the two. All I did was cut small slivers of an index card (maybe 1cm X 2cm) and I shimmed that gap until it was tight. Hasn't rattled in 3 years now.
Gotcha! My car has the sunglasses rattle and other rattles 🥲

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

Thank you!
The "rolling/cyclical" sound means it's rotational which means it's probably coming from your tires or wheel bearings or axles. Most likely tires.

The rattling you're getting inside the cabin may be getting worse due to your motor mounts wearing down. The factory motor mounts (there are 3) are pretty bad and I've seen the rubber compound they use completey jellify/disintegrate as early as 80k miles. If you open the hood and eyeball the engine while someone gives it gas in neutral and you see excessive movement of the motor from the torque then you know the mounts are probably bad.

smanierre

Autocross Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
further modifications may be required.
with modifications it might. not sure if the geometry of the bottle would play nice though.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Question for the peanut gallery: Would it be cheesy to put a Rabbit emblem on my car?

The idea is kind of an homage to the earlier cars, not to try to suggest my car is a "Rabbit Edition" mk7.