GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
My GTI uses the same torx type drain plug. I change the crush washer at each oil change, but haven't changed the drain plug.
Changed my oil yesterday and while under the car, I normally tighten the drain plug hand tight with my fingers and the T45 bit (I have the torx flat plug) and then I put it on a ratchet and give it a 1/4 turn with light pressure. Heard a POP sound when I made the quarter turn, almost like the car was settling on my jack stands, made the same POP sound when I opened the drain plug. Now I'm sweating over having potentially shredded the threads on the plug (no biggie) or the threads on the pan. There's no real leak that I can see, and it's been about 24 hours. There was maybe a small drop on the nut itself but it was black like my oil, and I'm chalking this up to residue seeping out from behind the plug to the front and this is after 12+ hours of sitting. I have a drip pan under it right now and I'm hoping I don't see anything more from this point on. Still giving me the nervous shits but I hopefully dodged a bullet. The bit I used is pretty shitty so it's possible the bit popped too I guess?

Anyway, question is; How likely am I fucked? Are there tell-tale signs of busted threads? I've read everything from slow leak, to a plug that keeps spinning in the pan thread.

My GTI uses the same torx type drain plug. I change the crush washer at each oil change, but haven't changed the drain plug.

You will know for sure at your next oil change if you stripped the threads. I think you may want to modify how you tighten the drain plug. IIRC it is 22 ft lb & not 1/4 turn.Good luck hope it works out for you.

jedred1

jedred1
For you guys that have installed slotted drilled rotors do you get a buzzing ticking sound when you apply the breaks? Kind of sounds like a taser. You know tick, tick, tick, etc. The weather has been good enough to keep the windows down and when I don't have the radio on and I drive next to a wall I hear this tick/buzz sound when I apply the brakes. Here is some back story. I Installed Hawk Talon rotors and Hawk HPS street/sport pads last month and bled my breaks last Thursday. Over all every thing feels better. VCDS has no fails no lights on the dash. I am very OCD about this stuff. What do you all think?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah it kind of sounds like a clicking cv joint. I noticed it when I went from solid rotors to drilled and slotted

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
For you guys that have installed slotted drilled rotors do you get a buzzing ticking sound when you apply the breaks? Kind of sounds like a taser. You know tick, tick, tick, etc. The weather has been good enough to keep the windows down and when I don't have the radio on and I drive next to a wall I hear this tick/buzz sound when I apply the brakes. Here is some back story. I Installed Hawk Talon rotors and Hawk HPS street/sport pads last month and bled my breaks last Thursday. Over all every thing feels better. VCDS has no fails no lights on the dash. I am very OCD about this stuff. What do you all think?

Yeah it kind of sounds like a clicking cv joint. I noticed it when I went from solid rotors to drilled and slotted
i feel like i got this when i changed from smooth to slotted rotors.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I dont even replace the plastic one on the mk7 every oil change

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Plastic oil pans, plastic drain plugs. What's next plastic connecting rods?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Plastic oil pans, plastic drain plugs. What's next plastic connecting rods?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Timing chain tensioners

smanierre

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
It's not plastic guys... It's composite

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
It's not plastic guys... It's composite
true story... marketing at my work used to have us say "GFN" (glass-filled nylon) instead of "plastic", because you know, plastic is a scary word. :LOL: but to be fair... there are a WIDE range of "plastics" ... some pretty impressive ones too. nothing to be afraid of when designed right. tons of shitty metal out there too.

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
speaking on different kinds of plastics. thoughts on materials to make my own splitter and diffuser. Im able to find HDPE sheets at Menards in town but Im concerned about how well it would hold up cause I know it will scrape. figure its cheap and easy to get or would it be a better idea to get some ABS from somewhere online?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
speaking on different kinds of plastics. thoughts on materials to make my own splitter and diffuser. Im able to find HDPE sheets at Menards in town but Im concerned about how well it would hold up cause I know it will scrape. figure its cheap and easy to get or would it be a better idea to get some ABS from somewhere online?
A bunch of aftermarket Splitters are HDPE. I know mine is. Go thick if you try to make one.

My diffuser is HDPE as well.