GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
call this a random/stupid observation.... but prices on FCPeuro appear to fluctuate more frequently than i would expect. Case in point:
oil filter for VW 2.0 (mk2-mk4)
a few years ago i was paying 6 bucks... saw it was up to 9 the other day, then a few days later 8.50, next day 8, today its less than 8....

just something to be aware of i guess. I like to buy in bulk, so the pennies do add up

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
call this a random/stupid observation.... but prices on FCPeuro appear to fluctuate more frequently than i would expect. Case in point:
oil filter for VW 2.0 (mk2-mk4)
a few years ago i was paying 6 bucks... saw it was up to 9 the other day, then a few days later 8.50, next day 8, today its less than 8....

just something to be aware of i guess. I like to buy in bulk, so the pennies do add up
I usually buy 2 sets of oil change stuff at a time from FCP. Mk6 and my daily tiguan are same motor so easy to justify. There was a forum member who was selling the Filter I use in bulk after he sold his mk6 so I snagged those for a good price. I have 5 on the shelf right now ready to go.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I usually buy 2 sets of oil change stuff at a time from FCP. Mk6 and my daily tiguan are same motor so easy to justify. There was a forum member who was selling the Filter I use in bulk after he sold his mk6 so I snagged those for a good price. I have 5 on the shelf right now ready to go.
yeah i usually buy about 4 years worth of maintenance parts. served me well getting a bunch of oil for my GTI in 2019 at 22 bucks a jug, up to 30+ now.

I even have oil drain washers (copper/brass) i got almost 20 years ago from autotech tuning :LOL:, think i paid like 4 cents each, got a pack of 100, saw they charge a dollar or more now. Glad VW hasnt changed much.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
yeah i usually buy about 4 years worth of maintenance parts. served me well getting a bunch of oil for my GTI in 2019 at 22 bucks a jug, up to 30+ now.

I even have oil drain washers (copper/brass) i got almost 20 years ago from autotech tuning :LOL:, think i paid like 4 cents each, got a pack of 100, saw they charge a dollar or more now. Glad VW hasnt changed much.
Missed opportunity to become a business owner selling only oil plug washers below VWs pricing.

GolferGTI12

Ready to race!
My stupid question of the day:
My car is a CCTA. Someone I know is selling a virtually brand new head and components from a CBFA for a good price. I know the CBFAs have the SAI on the actual head, but many companies make a block off plate for the SAI. If I were to put the CBFA head on my CCTA with the SAI blocked off, there would be no problems with that right?

Tl;dr: will a cbfa head with a block off plate on the SAI work with my ccta engine?

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Stupid question which is really just a sanity check:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on struts/shocks and a couple of other pieces to finally have all the parts for the suspension refresh I'm planning. Springs are 25mm drop and progressive. Bilstein B8's are the way to go, yes?

Also want to pick up the TT rear spring perch 8J0512149 to fight reverse rake.

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
Stupid question which is really just a sanity check:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on struts/shocks and a couple of other pieces to finally have all the parts for the suspension refresh I'm planning. Springs are 25mm drop and progressive. Bilstein B8's are the way to go, yes?

Also want to pick up the TT rear spring perch 8J0512149 to fight reverse rake.
Which springs are you looking at? I went with the Eibach prokit springs and there is actually a bit of positive rake which I think looks great on the car. I can’t weigh in on the bilsteins. I went with KONI Special Active shocks and struts.
1671669994713.jpeg

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Which springs are you looking at? I went with the Eibach prokit springs and there is actually a bit of positive rake which I think looks great on the car. I can’t weigh in on the bilsteins. I went with KONI Special Active shocks and struts.
View attachment 268572
Lady Phur texting her friends "yes he's really taking a picture of his car again"

Phur

Autocross Champion

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Stupid question of the day.... Is my car tuned or should I not trust this app or is it really this high of boost on a tdi? My peak looks to be like 21 or 22 psi.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221222_061716_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222_061716_Torque.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Stupid question of the day.... Is my car tuned or should I not trust this app or is it really this high of boost on a tdi? My peak looks to be like 21 or 22 psi.
Do you know what expected actual boost is? That seems like a lot for a stock turbo. I was thinking maybe thats including atmospheric pressure as well, but then that puts you at ~7lbs of actual boost, which seems kinda low. Not too sue

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Do you know what expected actual boost is? That seems like a lot for a stock turbo. I was thinking maybe thats including atmospheric pressure as well, but then that puts you at ~7lbs of actual boost, which seems kinda low. Not too sue
I mean I definitely feel like I hear my turbo a lot more than I expected. And it's got a stock intake on it. I took a look at it, it looks like it might be the stock turbo still. I might reach out to some tuners and see if my vin comes up.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Quick Google search tells me 16. Apparently it might be over boosting if it doesn't have a bigger turbo and hitting 24 psi could kill the turbo if I do it too much.