GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

There is hope. BRZ STI

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
besides a 1/4 mile or street racing, it wont matter much anywhere else ;) see: Miata, S2K, etc.

News just came out now saying the pics were simply from a "TS" version, or tuned version and NOT the STI version as originally thought. WTF.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
The car is slow as hell stock. It needs more power and real tires.

Agree 100%, took one on a long test drive (friends car) and was so damn dissapointed. It felt like I was driving an S2000 with a broken engine...kept waiting for the VTEC hit....and nothing. Car needs another 40-50 HP for it to be a fun daily driver, and if I had 30g's to blow on a track/ auto X toy... no way in the world it would be one of these.

pinkgolf

Passed Driver's Ed
I love the style of the BRZ/FR-S. Was actually going to buy one but after test driving it , no freaking way. I would rather buy a EVO even if BRZ came with AWD / turbo. Everyone and their mama is gonna buy a BRZ then.

Brendon

Ready to race!
I drive a 400+ hp eclipse and a 100 or so hp scion xa with proper suspension, wheels and tires and I can honestly tell you that I have just as much fun in the scion than the eclipse if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
I think the 35k price tag for a baseline car with no turbo is pricey. Granted there is way more aftermarket parts for this car than the GTI. I love my R though and would take that over a BRZ or STI. I was going to purchase a WRX but i'm kinda glad the dealer stiffed me and I went with an R as I really enjoy the refined interior and craftsmanship.

Lets see if this new BRZ sti will have a turbo or it's just a face lift :)

dsomegax

Ready to race!
As a previous k06 GTI owner and now an owner of a BRZ for a year, I can say that the car does not NEED more power. Is it slower? Obviously, but the car was built for the purpose of handling, and most importantly, control. To me, the BRZ is designed for people who love driving (read: not racing, not auto-x, not tracking). Yes, the car is "track-ready" in that it can be modded and prepped easily for that duty, but in its stock form, its for people who really appreciate the balance and communication the car provides on a daily basis. For those looking for FI, I just point to the nearby Hyundai dealer because IMO this car wouldn't be for you in the first place. With that in mind, I'm glad the tS version doesn't have FI.

As for pricing and what you get, it's not too bad. I've actually imported and added the majority of STi parts that are on that car to my own already (my build thread for the car is linked in my sig), and am waiting to see what the pricing will be on the BBK, dampers, and the fender trim. Are there cheaper options to go with? Yeap, but for me, its a theme that I like to stick to in terms of OEM+ (I did it this way with my GTI as well). I do love to bring the car out to various meets to talk about the pros and cons and meet some great car enthusiasts, so if anyone is in SoCal and would love to see my car, give me a holler! Always like to see what people do with their cars. I do hope more people come to appreciate what the car itself is. I don't see the BRZ being better than the GTI or visa versa. They're just purpose built for different reasons. I'm actually hoping to get a mk7 GTI eventually as a second car to pair =D

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I don't care if this car handled like a DTM race car it's just too slow to be any fun at anything other then autoX. AutoX is the only reason to buy the BRZ. Too slow for it to be fun on a road course and definitely way too slow as a DD.

dsomegax

Ready to race!
I don't care if this car handled like a DTM race car it's just too slow to be any fun at anything other then autoX. AutoX is the only reason to buy the BRZ. Too slow for it to be fun on a road course and definitely way too slow as a DD.

Okay, this is quite interesting. What are you doing in your everyday life where you feel like you need a car with more than 200hp to get around town as a DD?

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Okay, this is quite interesting. What are you doing in your everyday life where you feel like you need a car with more than 200hp to get around town as a DD?

+100000 so many people complain about power why? It's not like u can use that power on the street anyway. Plus, there will ALWAYS be a car faster. I actually like the way toya/baru is going with the car there is finally a serious competitor for the miata.

pinkgolf

Passed Driver's Ed
+100000 so many people complain about power why? It's not like u can use that power on the street anyway. Plus, there will ALWAYS be a car faster. I actually like the way toya/baru is going with the car there is finally a serious competitor for the miata.

yeah there will always be a car that is faster , always. You don't have to use the power all the time , its just nice to have a little power. BRZ looks nice , not fast and that is why people like it and hate it. You either go for looks or for power.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

Because fun....

Also trying to merge onto a highway with next to no on ramp, or beating the prick next to you at the light that just super cut you off...also... because fun.

200 HP would be enough for me.... in a 2300lb car.

Brendon

Ready to race!
Not to mention you should save on insurance also because of the power rating.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
So you guys realize this car with be a solid 35k+... It's already fairly pricy.

I went and looked at a baser last night, $23,499.00 was the window sticker, came with a Manual, but had all the stuff you NEED in a car like this...

Steering wheel, brakes, tires, engine, place to sit, and a way to shift... Oh, and there was a Radio I think, and maybe a way to roll down the windows? And there was a $1,500.00 A/C option in there too (FL summers)

But anyways, tested it, slow as my TDI is on accelleration (at least that is how I felt driving it), but it did handle well, just not 25 grand well! If I'm going to get another gasser in my lifetime and spend 25k on a car, I'll get a MKVII GTI; Nicer interior, more standard features, more power, and same (if not better) handling!

I don't think the Toyoburu is priced right at all... maybe a 19k starting would be better for such a basic car! I don't know why companies think that the "More Money FOR Less Car" is the right pricing and marketing scheme...

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
The Toyobaru is a little pricey when you think of it in terms of a little Japanese coupe with 200 hp and skinny tires. But what you're paying for is a relatively niche product. It's built on it's own platform and because of that, it's one of the only RWD sport compacts available. It also has an awesome chasis as it is designed just for the sporty car that it is.

You get more in terms of features and powah for the same money with something like a GTI, but that's because it's based on the Golf, which is one of the best selling cars in the world. This limits the cars ultimate performance though. At it's roots, it will always be based on a FWD hatchback. Both cars are good and serve very different purposes. Both are also priced fairly in the current market IMO.