GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a Mk. VI

yaboy19

So im 18 and about to buy my own car that is separate from my parents so naturally i want to have a little fun. Im thinking of getting a used GTI because they fit within my price range and are a great platform to work on. i dont know if it would be right to slap a stage 1 APR tune on it if it has too many miles as most cars that are out there have a minimum 50k miles. I also want to put in a new screen and install something that has apple carplay. any advice or tips are greatly appreciated. kinda just want to get some feedback on the whole situation.

torga

Autocross Champion
If you can afford it, get a 2013 or 2014. The 2010-2012 (later production 2012 is fine) had a timing chain tensioner issue that could unexpectedly destroy the engine. So if you're looking at a 2010-2012, you need to make sure it has the newly-revised tensioner before installed buying.

As far as tuning, I say go for it as long as you are reasonably sure the engine is healthy. A lot of us are sitting with Stage 2 tunes and K04 turbo upgrades at 100k+ miles (I'm at 123k, with Stage 2).

As for a screen with CarPlay, search around the forum for "RCD330+". It's an OEM headunit that has both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, depending on the version that you buy. They're available new on eBay for $280-300 all day.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Be prepared for a generally high cost of maintenance. There's a ton of people on here who were caught off guard by multiple thousand plus dollar repairs mainly due to the timing chain and tensioner issues and transmission issues. (especially the DSG)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Did you get a quote from insurance? An 18yo male not on his parents policy is going to be high for a GTI

torga

Autocross Champion
Did you get a quote from insurance? An 18yo male not on his parents policy is going to be high for a GTI
Very good point. A bad insurance quote has stopped me from buying a car in the past.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Hell when I was 18 I paid out the ass for my Nissan Spec-V and that was on my parents policy. I want to say it was close to $300 a month.

torga

Autocross Champion
Hell when I was 18 I paid out the ass for my Nissan Spec-V and that was on my parents policy. I want to say it was close to $300 a month.
I was looking at insuring an R32 GT-R a few years ago and Hagerty wanted $280/mo; so I noped out real quick. I have since found a much cheaper "collector car" insurance plan that's closer to $250 for an entire year. I was about to buy another GT-R about 1.5 years ago, but the owner was a complete asshat and accused me of being picky when I wanted to pay for a compression and leakdown test; we got into a huge argument and I walked away. Still on the hunt...

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2014, I'm already at 108k, I drive a lot, and it has a Unitronic 1+ tune. The only issue I've had with the car was the famous ( rather, infamous) water pump failure, and that was when it was nearly new. Do the required maintenance,though, especially oil changes. These cars ARE temperamental in that they don't take kindly to being neglected.

torga

Autocross Champion
These cars ARE temperamental in that they don't take kindly to being neglected.
Yep, close tolerances and all that - need to be running well-oiled and tip-top. I drove a 95 Celica with a slightly rough idle for 10 years... TEN - simply because I couldn't figure out what the hell it was. Never left me stranded, never broke down (obviously took care of everything else). Try doing that with a modern German car :LOL:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
This won't be a popular view, but keep it stock for a while & put that mod money aside for the future repairs that will come. GTIs are great cars, but you have to maintain them.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I was looking at insuring an R32 GT-R a few years ago and Hagerty wanted $280/mo; so I noped out real quick. I have since found a much cheaper "collector car" insurance plan that's closer to $250 for an entire year. I was about to buy another GT-R about 1.5 years ago, but the owner was a complete asshat and accused me of being picky when I wanted to pay for a compression and leakdown test; we got into a huge argument and I walked away. Still on the hunt...

That is a cray amount for insurance!!! I would love a GTR though (R34 is probably my favorite :love:). The owner sounds like he was trying to hide something. Of course you are going to want to get thinks tested out before making a purchase like that.

im gonna be under their plan its just the car itself and any mods are going to be all up to me to pay for

That's a good plan. Might still be worth a call just to see how much it is. Like Ash and others have said, they do cost more to maintain then other cars. They are also not the best on gas so if you are going to be driving a lot factor that into the cost. Premium is .60 cents higher then regular around me.

torga

Autocross Champion
That is a cray amount for insurance!!! I would love an R32 GTR though :love:. The owner sounds like he was trying to hide something. Of course you are going to want to get thinks tested out before making a purchase like tha
I'm a hardcore JDM boy at heart, but it's not as huge of a priority anymore since the GTI is a really fun car; I'll eventually get my 30yo track toy. Still not totally decided between an R32 GT-R and an FD RX-7.

Going back to OP, you might want to make a spreadsheet that includes car payments, monthly gas cost estimates, and other practical things all balanced by your own monthly income - this will help you visualize where you stand financially and what you can afford. I would also recommend throwing money in an "emergency fund" for any surprise repairs or maintenance. As much as you can afford would be best, but I would recommend at least $50-100/mo until you have at least $1,000 parked in there for any potential break-downs. Then you can keep adding when you have extra cash laying around.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I have a 2014, I'm already at 108k, I drive a lot, and it has a Unitronic 1+ tune. The only issue I've had with the car was the famous ( rather, infamous) water pump failure, and that was when it was nearly new. Do the required maintenance,though, especially oil changes. These cars ARE temperamental in that they don't take kindly to being neglected.

It's funny you say that because mine is also 2014 and was also nearly new when mine failed. I think I had only 7k miles on the motor. Was crazy. Couldn't believe it and then I come to learn it was all standard practice in owning one. Fortunately *Knock on wood*, it hasn't gone out since that time.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
This won't be a popular view, but keep it stock for a while & put that mod money aside for the future repairs that will come. GTIs are great cars, but you have to maintain them.
I'm with you on this. The GTI is plenty quick enough stock to be a ton of fun, power isn't the first thing that it needs.

Personally, I'd do the stereo long before power (and I have). OP if you want a quality stereo I can definitely help, I'd suggest NOT getting any of the OEM replacements, I wouldn't touch the popular RCD330 if sound quality is a real goal.

As already mentioned, try to get a 2013, or 2014. I got really lucky and bough a 2014 without knowing about the problems with the prior years. I dodged a bullet there.