GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

torga's Daily Build - black, 6mt, two-door shenanigans

torga

Autocross Champion
Nah, just get the cheap extractor.
I don't have a garage and don't really want to figure out where to keep an extractor (small apt with very little storage space). So that'll be an extra 5 minutes of work for me. I do all my work between two friends' houses and a rent-a-bay place near my place of work.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Nah, just get the cheap extractor.

Or a good one, but either way at least it's an option for you. The R has the oil filter on the bottom so I still have to drop it anyway, pretty much never use the extractor on the R anymore. It's a damn life saver with the Touareg though, it's NICE not having to get the big jack out LMAO

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Or a good one, but either way at least it's an option for you. The R has the oil filter on the bottom so I still have to drop it anyway, pretty much never use the extractor on the R anymore. It's a damn life saver with the Touareg though, it's NICE not having to get the big jack out LMAO
Its nice on my Tiguan too. I use ramps to get a good syphon and to get good grounding since where I change my oil is not really that level.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I'm just sayin, ramps, jacks, harbor freight recalls, crawling on the ground, possibly breaking a sweat, crush seals, drain plugs, potential leaks, torque specs, missing sockets, exxon valdez in the drive way. Nope, I'm extracting if possible. :ROFLMAO:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I don't have a garage and don't really want to figure out where to keep an extractor (small apt with very little storage space). So that'll be an extra 5 minutes of work for me. I do all my work between two friends' houses and a rent-a-bay place near my place of work.

I just got mine in from amazon the other day, its footprint is maybe 8" x 8". Easy to fit in a corner. Or - talk to your friend about letting them use it in exchange for also having them store it.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I just got mine in from amazon the other day, its footprint is maybe 8" x 8". Easy to fit in a corner. Or - talk to your friend about letting them use it in exchange for also having them store it.

Got a link to the one you bought from the Amazonian's?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
great build dude! she looks great!

torga

Autocross Champion
talk to your friend about letting them use it in exchange for also having them store it.
This might be the move. I dunno, I'll unbolt the undertray at least once. See if I absolutely hate it.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
This might be the move. I dunno, I'll unbolt the undertray at least once. See if I absolutely hate it.

I used an oil extractor on the wagon for the first time a couple of weeks back. Absolute game-changer. No jacking the car up (filter is on top with the TDI), didn't need to get dirty on the floor, just slide the extractor down the dipstick tube, pump it, replace the filter, then the oil, donezo. 15 minutes tops if you work efficiently.

torga

Autocross Champion
I used an oil extractor on the wagon for the first time a couple of weeks back. Absolute game-changer. No jacking the car up (filter is on top with the TDI), didn't need to get dirty on the floor, just slide the extractor down the dipstick tube, pump it, replace the filter, then the oil, donezo. 15 minutes tops if you work efficiently.
The reason I'm hesitant is when I crawl under the car to change my oil, I get to poke around all the nooks and crannies with a flashlight and check for any leaks. If I start using an extractor, I'm afraid I'll get complacent and won't catch something before it becomes more urgent. Since I don't have a garage, I'm not underneath my car as much as I used to be. So that "inspection" time is valuable.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
The reason I'm hesitant is when I crawl under the car to change my oil, I get to poke around all the nooks and crannies with a flashlight and check for any leaks. If I start using an extractor, I'm afraid I'll get complacent and won't catch something before it becomes more urgent. Since I don't have a garage, I'm not underneath my car as much as I used to be. So that "inspection" time is valuable.
Fair, its still recommended doing a "conventional" change every 3rd change I believe just for reference.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm thinking about picking up APR's new rotors for my R32 brakes -- they aren't terribly more expensive than my original plan of StopTech rotors. I did a little bit of research and it seems that APR is basically rebadging some rotors from a company called Powerbrake out of South Africa. They're big in the off-roading/overlanding/rally world and seems like owners only have good things to say about Powerbrake's hardware.
If you compare the two pages I linked, you'll see the stark similarities in description.

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
I'm thinking about picking up APR's new rotors for my R32 brakes -- they aren't terribly more expensive than my original plan of StopTech rotors. I did a little bit of research and it seems that APR is basically rebadging some rotors from a company called Powerbrake out of South Africa. They're big in the off-roading/overlanding/rally world and seems like owners only have good things to say about Powerbrake's hardware.
If you compare the two pages I linked, you'll see the stark similarities in description.
$$$

torga

Autocross Champion
Yup, it's $160 extra over a set of StopTech rotors. APR's offering is still pretty fresh, so I've been waiting/hoping some people put out some reviews soon.

torga

Autocross Champion
Dropping off my car at a reputable shop to have them do my thermostat and likely radiator hoses. I just cannot bring myself to make a big coolant mess again and spend hours moving things out of the way just to get to the pump and thermostat housing. I'd rather save my energy for prepping/installing my R32 brakes. This will be the first time anyone other than me, or an alignment tech, touches the car. A little nervous, but I think I'm in good hands.