GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

torga's Daily Build - black, 6mt, two-door shenanigans

torga

Autocross Champion
I'll try to get a sound clip, but I'll have to ask a friend for a fly by.
To be honest, I really dislike how these cars sound during a free rev - they only sound good to me under load. Their free rev just sounds so mechanical. At least, this is how I hear it from the driver's seat.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Can definitely vouch for the APR cat back, it sounds incredible...even when I went catless it doesn't sound ricey at all.

torga

Autocross Champion
Can definitely vouch for the APR cat back, it sounds incredible...even when I went catless it doesn't sound ricey at all.
Even with the windows up, it's very noticeable how much higher the quality of sound is. And yet, it's still so tame when off boost. Such a great exhaust!!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Even with the windows up, it's very noticeable how much higher the quality of sound is. And yet, it's still so tame when off boost. Such a great exhaust!!

I was just kidding on the clips, we can youtube. Did I read somewhere that the APR is basically a Corsa exhaust?

torga

Autocross Champion
I was just kidding on the clips, we can youtube. Did I read somewhere that the APR is basically a Corsa exhaust?
That was an old revision exhaust that APR sold - their RSC model. I don't believe they sell it anymore, though. I saw one for sale in the Cali FS/FT section months ago. This is the one I got.

torga

Autocross Champion
Picked up a lightly used (seller claims ~1,000 mi) Tyrolsport Caliper Stiffening kit from eBay for just $45. Kinda didn't even think about it at that price.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Nice. I was reading about some people's experience with those and stainless lines saying it was kinda so so. I only used lines on sport bikes and thought it made a massive difference in feel.

torga

Autocross Champion
Nice. I was reading about some people's experience with those and stainless lines saying it was kinda so so. I only used lines on sport bikes and thought it made a massive difference in feel.
I'll be getting stainless lines as well, but these are the solid caliper guide bushings to replace the OEM rubber ones. Some StopTech cryo-treated discs and StopTech 308 pads will round out my brake upgrade. Not looking to go full-tilt BBK just yet.

torga

Autocross Champion
Goodies going in this weekend.

IMG_20191202_175946-01.jpeg

Big thanks to @CowTownRacer for donating his old 034 insert set!

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Looks good dude! Also looks like you got the right APR mount--double win!

torga

Autocross Champion
Installed the APR pendulum mount and 034 inserts today. Getting the old ECS poly insert out required running around for 2 hours trying to rent an impact wrench and eventually buying one, then returning it later. I got scared because I sheared a 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter with a breaker bar trying to get the bolt off and I didn't wanna deal with dropping the subframe because of a sheared bolt. Once I got the bolt off with the impact gun, I basically had to rip apart the ECS poly insert because it did not want to come out. Seems like a one-time use part and I'm glad I didn't spend money on it.
Once everything was uninstalled, the APR mount and 034 inserts went in very quickly. I ran a few errands after that and my shifts are engaging more reliably and smoothly - the biggest difference is in the reverse gear. As far as NVH, I can't notice any differences whatsoever between APR mount & 034 inserts vs stock mount and poly insert. Idle or street/highway driving, it felt great at all stages.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Domo arigato, Boosted.
Probably taking a bit of a break other than tinkering here and there until I scrounge up enough money for a clutch. Big suspension refresh will follow shortly after that, if not at the same time. Still figuring it out if I want to use the RSR clutch or buy a DKM Stage 2 kit. I'm about 20/80, RSR/DKM. It'd be ~$1,400 for the RSR vs. ~$900 for the DKM kit, all before labor. That's a big jump for just some comfort.

zrickety

The Fixer
Looking good, Torga. Have you looked at the Sachs SMF kit? I've only heard good things, but when I was looking a few years ago it was only available from Europe.

torga

Autocross Champion
Looking good, Torga. Have you looked at the Sachs SMF kit? I've only heard good things, but when I was looking a few years ago it was only available from Europe.
Thanks man!
That one's even more expensive than the other two I'm thinking about ?
And doesn't hold as much torque as either of the other two.
The DKM is made in partnership with Competition Clutch, who has a great track record.