GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

torga's Daily Build - black, 6mt, two-door shenanigans

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Agency Power shift knob is installed, and it's a much better feeling than the BFI. The BFI was never bad, but the AP knob is twice as heavy (455g vs BFI's 225g), so shifts just feel that much more solid. Plus, it looks great! The knob itself sits lower on the shift arm, so the overall height decreased by about 1". The AP knob is a heavy, brass core with a Delrin outer to stave away burned hands.

Wish I had a manual so I can throw money at transmission components aha
Legit being serious.

Looks like youve been doing a lot, still running those rotiforms tho?
Thought you were trying to change them out.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm planning to change them out by the fall, but other things have taken up priority lately. I moved states earlier in the year, so funds were locked up for a while. I'm comfortable enough now to start knocking down some car goals again.

At least you don't have to change your clutch after a tune! Also ezpz launch control.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yet again, I've been failed by wrecking yard part pullers that can't read work order notes.
I spoke with the front desk part seller foreman whatever (not actually sure what her job is) about the first mistake and she apologized. Found me a different B6 4Motion in one of their yards with two calipers. Perfect. So I asked her to PLEASE mark in her notes to not deviate from the AWD Passat model, to make sure to include the caliper carriers, and if it ended up being a model with the electronic parking brake option, then I do not want the calipers. She confirmed she wrote everything down.

So of course, the part pullers ignored those notes and today I received two B6 4Motion calipers with electronic parking brake modules. They didn't even disconnect the motors correctly, they CUT the cable at the base of the motor. If this was actually what I needed, I'D HAVE TO BUY A NEW PARKING BRAKE MOTOR. These dudes are unbelievable.

So I got my money back.

Remember, kids -- pull your own parts. I would've been down there myself, but they insisted on pulling and shipping due to social distancing concerns, which is understandable.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Damn that sucks. In their defense you asked for calipers, not the harness for the park brake :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: An engine harness could cost a grand and they just chop it in half

torga

Autocross Champion
In my defense, I specifically asked them to not send me electronic parking brakes :cry:

I've never touched a car with electric parking brake. Wouldn't there just be a D connector somewhere in the wheel well for the parking brake? I can't imagine that motor is hard-wired into the harness, that'd be an awful engineering decision.
If that's the case, they saved a grand total of 3 seconds by snipping the cable instead of disconnecting the connector properly.

torga

Autocross Champion
Checked my camshaft phase position today and it clocked in at -2.67° @ 128k mi. Lookin' good, boys.
Previous readings were -2.58° @ 123k and -2.27° @ 116k.
Things are looking mighty predictable.

torga

Autocross Champion
This weekend I got around to restoring my headlights. They weren't horribly far gone, but I'm very happy with the results. I used Sylvania's kit. Next time I have to take my bumper off, I'll be restoring my fog lights. They aren't yellow/oxidized, but my GOD are they awfully pitted. Gonna need to start with some pretty coarse grit on those. Maybe I'll buy those SRS fog light grilles as an excuse to remove the bumper.

BEFORE
IMG_20200828_100951-01.jpeg
IMG_20200828_101021-01.jpeg

AFTER
IMG_20200907_125310-01.jpeg

zef

Drag Racing Champion
They didn't even disconnect the motors correctly, they CUT the cable at the base of the motor.

What in the actual fk? How hard does your mom have to drop you on your head as an infant to be that dumb?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
So of course, the part pullers ignored those notes and today I received two B6 4Motion calipers with electronic parking brake modules. They didn't even disconnect the motors correctly, they CUT the cable at the base of the motor. If this was actually what I needed, I'D HAVE TO BUY A NEW PARKING BRAKE MOTOR. These dudes are unbelievable.

Generally speaking these guys have just enough ability to hold a spanner but failed the test at McDonalds to run the fryer.........just sayin. ;)

Hey, I tried searching and reading through the thread to see your install and notes on the GFB DV+ but can't seem to find it.

Thinking of going this route myself, I'm getting a whistle-type noise just when the boost goes from vacumn to boost building (about -2.1hg to 3psi), and it's worse at almost exactly 0. Figure it might be DV although not having any boost issues but might as well upgrade it since I am sure there are some issues using the OEM with a Stg3 turbo.

What do you think of the GFB?

torga

Autocross Champion
What in the actual fk? How hard does your mom have to drop you on your head as an infant to be that dumb?
Generally speaking these guys have just enough ability to hold a spanner but failed the test at McDonalds to run the fryer.........just sayin. ;)
Right?? As soon as they suggested pulling parts themselves, I had a strong feeling everything was gonna go wrong. They didn't even leave enough wire to, y'know, splice up a harness and D connector. No, they cut right down to the grommet -- that parking brake is pure garbage now. Really glad that's not what I needed anyway. Idiots.

Hey, I tried searching and reading through the thread to see your install and notes on the GFB DV+ but can't seem to find it.

Thinking of going this route myself, I'm getting a whistle-type noise just when the boost goes from vacumn to boost building (about -2.1hg to 3psi), and it's worse at almost exactly 0. Figure it might be DV although not having any boost issues but might as well upgrade it since I am sure there are some issues using the OEM with a Stg3 turbo.

The GFB DV+ was one of the few mods this car already had. I don't have an OEM DV to compare this mod to, but I can tell you that I get no squealing, no strange whistles, no fluttering. Just a nice spool coming up through the CAI when in boost and a sharp, short *PSSH* when I shift gears.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

I had zero whistles with my DV+ until I went K04. Now I get a whistle on throttle and a nice Stututut. So that may not fix your issue with a stage 3 turbo.

torga

Autocross Champion
Bought SuperPro roll control ball joints, SuperPro LCA bushings (front position) and a Tyrolsport deadset kit today -- already have TT-RS LCA bracket bushings, Passat arms, and SuperPro endlinks (front & rear). Will be buying König Ampliforms and Michelin PS4 A/S tires within the next two weeks.

It's suspension time, bois.