GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trance/House/Techno/Dubstep/Drum N bass/ ETC Thread

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Although the older electro heads stick to their roots, I believe that production has increased over the years with better technology no doubt.

And in regard to new house/electro, Skrillex's set at E-Zoo.. Mind=blown.

Skrillex? hahahahaha didn't know someone pressing play impresses you that much.

Sorry, but a Roland TB-303, TR-808, TR-909, Juno 106 and a Moog Minimoog > any computer out there

Give me a pair of Technics 1200's over Ableton. Vinyl purist here

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Although the older electro heads stick to their roots, I believe that production has increased over the years with better technology no doubt.

And in regard to new house/electro, Skrillex's set at E-Zoo.. Mind=blown.

I'd argue that. Production capability has definitely increased (just look at the vst synths they've got out now) but considering that, the actual production could be way better. It's mostly still simple saws, super-compressed kicks and simple pads. Look at dash Berlin for an example, I remixed one of his big songs and was amazed at how simple it was synth-wise. For some reason there was a threshold where mainstream trance just stalled and is all about mass production and mass consumption rather than the more progressive sound of the earlier years. Progressive really branched off to its own in recent years (I think that's a good thing personally). Mainstream trance has a sound that sells, and producers are willing to get those sales. There's still some good mainstream stuff out there these days but it's nowhere like it used to be IMO.

Maybe I'm just an old fart.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
^ lol

Those were the golden years, I still listen to my mixes from 2000-2007ish. Now its all progressive and DnB for me

All I listen to these days is dnb from the usual suspects (Hospital Records, Metalheadz, etc) or dubstep (not the womp womp brostep crap, see avatar) or house music (Dirtybird label rocks)

I grew up with progressive house (Sasha, John Digweed, Der Dritte Raum, Sven Vath, Cass & Slide, Deep Dish) so I hate how Beatport has progressive house categorized nowadays...so far from progressive house

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
All I listen to these days is dnb from the usual suspects (Hospital Records, Metalheadz, etc) or dubstep (not the womp womp brostep crap, see avatar) or house music (Dirtybird label rocks)

I grew up with progressive house (Sasha, John Digweed, Der Dritte Raum, Sven Vath, Cass & Slide, Deep Dish) so I hate how Beatport has progressive house categorized nowadays...so far from progressive house

I hear ya, progressive house has become kind of a buzzword...a lot of it is just straight up house. Could probably split the remaining into uplifting house and experimental house/electro. My prog house falls more into the uplifting category (so maybe I'm guilty of the above as well). I'm into stuff like Arthur deep, jay lumen, Shingo Nakamura, James woods, mango

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Skrillex? hahahahaha didn't know someone pressing play impresses you that much.

Sorry, but a Roland TB-303, TR-808, TR-909, Juno 106 and a Moog Minimoog > any computer out there

Give me a pair of Technics 1200's over Ableton. Vinyl purist here

It impressed enough people to win him multiple Grammy's. How many of those do your favorite House artists have?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
It impressed enough people to win him multiple Grammy's. How many of those do your favorite House artists have?

LOL are you for real? You're seriously using the Grammy's as a barometer of someone's success?

The pioneers of Chicago house such as Marshall Jefferson, Adonis, Mr. Fingers, Fast Eddie, Frankie Knuckles, DJ Sneak, etc haven't won any Grammy's, so are you going to tell me Skrillex is better than those guys, who actually helped create house music?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I hear ya, progressive house has become kind of a buzzword...a lot of it is just straight up house. Could probably split the remaining into uplifting house and experimental house/electro. My prog house falls more into the uplifting category (so maybe I'm guilty of the above as well). I'm into stuff like Arthur deep, jay lumen, Shingo Nakamura, James woods, mango

I haven't paid much attention into trance anymore, as I stick with dubstep, drum and bass, house, ambient, and IDM.

This should give you an idea of the electro I listen to:

First thing I played when I got my new TDi, should be a requirement for many haha

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion

Lol maybe he figured out people's ears were bleeding when they heard him sing. Grammies don't really mean anything except you're on the pop charts. Pop is not equal to good.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Lol maybe he figured out people's ears were bleeding when they heard him sing. Grammies don't really mean anything except you're on the pop charts. Pop is not equal to good.

And if he wants to talk about Grammy's, Deep Dish, The Chemical Brothers, and Basement Jaxx (to name a few) have all won Grammy's

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
I haven't paid much attention into trance anymore, as I stick with dubstep, drum and bass, house, ambient, and IDM.

This should give you an idea of the electro I listen to:

First thing I played when I got my new TDi, should be a requirement for many haha

Nice! I love old electro but don't have too much of it.

In regard to DnB usually when I'm driving for a while I stream di.fm's liquid dnb channel. Favorite is probably Brookes brothers, london elektricity, intelligent manners, that sort of stuff--the more ambient and melodic dnb rather than a straight up sub assault. Only dub I listen to is pretty much burial and james blake. Good stuff.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
LOL are you for real? You're seriously using the Grammy's as a barometer of someone's success?

The pioneers of Chicago house such as Marshall Jefferson, Adonis, Mr. Fingers, Fast Eddie, Frankie Knuckles, DJ Sneak, etc haven't won any Grammy's, so are you going to tell me Skrillex is better than those guys, who actually helped create house music?

House music originiated in Ibiza....

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
House music originiated in Ibiza....

Ibiza had an influence on style, especially in the UK scene but it certainly didn't originate there. Chicago and NY were the key players.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Nice! I love old electro but don't have too much of it.

If you drive a German car listening to Kraftwerk is a requirement haha

In regard to DnB usually when I'm driving for a while I stream di.fm's liquid dnb channel. Favorite is probably Brookes brothers, london elektricity, intelligent manners, that sort of stuff--the more ambient and melodic dnb rather than a straight up sub assault. Only dub I listen to is pretty much burial and james blake. Good stuff.

Love London Elektricity!

You ever listen to Andy C? I have mad respect for those who still play vinyl to this day.

Big ups on Burial and James Blake. If you like Burial I'd recommend Disclosure as well, those guys are on the upswing with their take on 2 step sound.