Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
From The Fast Lane Car

Last edited by a moderator:

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
From The Fast Lane Car

Those are some slow 0-60 times :D

I also wonder if they drove the MK6 a decent amount of miles after the tune. Mine takes awhile to fully adapt.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
They are a mile above sea level (Denver).

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
That COBB tuning deal doesn't make anywhere near what the new APR stage 1 does.
That's a great point though - the engine probably never fully adapted if they tested it 10 minutes later.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
:)

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie

OhioMK6

Ready to race!

aspirollari

Ready to race!
Yeah surprised by the lack of HP gains. My car feels much faster than stock (not just more torque), even when I have it on the "low" boost stage 1.

yea something is wrong with that dyno or their numbers. Def. not only a 10whp gain. From 40-100 my car does it like 2 seconds faster compared to stock. Not to mention they never specified if they did stage 1 LB or HB, big difference between those. I trust cobbs numbers much more, which claim 40whp gain in stage one.

Interesting how the MK7 handles much better than the MK6

Not a huge difference...not in non performance pack configuration. I wouldn't trust that used up mk6. Damn suspension bottoms out and it looks like its running non-stock size rubber that can mess with handling characteristics.

My suspension NEVER bottoms out. Read below for performance numbers between mk6 and non pp mk7... chk #161 and 162

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Not a huge difference...not in non performance pack configuration. I wouldn't trust that used up mk6. Damn suspension bottoms out and it looks like its running non-stock size rubber that can mess with handling characteristics.

My suspension NEVER bottoms out. Read below for performance numbers between mk6 and non pp mk7... chk #161 and 162

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

The Mk7 does have a more planted feel to it - simultaneously heavier yet lighter. That doesn't necessarily translate to hard numbers. IMO the Mk6 steering is more accurate & weighted perfectly. However they are testing a new car against a vehicle several years and miles older.
I'm trying to figure out what my Mk6 needs to put it back to factory condition. It has developed a lot of creaks and flex over the past few years.

phuccer1

Ready to race!
I just barely got my AP yesterday. I spent some time running all the maps I could. Stage 1 91, Stage 1 91 high boost, and Stage 1+ 91.

I couldn't feel any difference between stock and Stage 1. If there was a difference, it was very very minimal. Then again, maybe I had to let the ECU adjust?

Either way, I ended up sticking to Stage 1+ 91 using my modshack intake. Definitely a huge difference and rides pretty good. I need to pull some logs though to see if my own intake is messing with anything. However, I may consider picking up the COBB intake sometime this month.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
That COBB tuning deal doesn't make anywhere near what the new APR stage 1 does.
That's a great point though - the engine probably never fully adapted if they tested it 10 minutes later.

I actually LIKE that the lowest power stage 1 tune is like an actual stage 1 tune lol. I've always hated that for whatever reason every stage 1 tune from the usual VW tuning companies all are much more like a stage 3 ecu tune. No way should a simple stage 1 turn the car into something completely different than it was. +10whp and +30-40tq is a great stage jump to me.

Makes more sense to me than Stage one being +50whp and +100tq or some other madness, and the ln Stage 2 being +5whp and +10tq compared to that lol. To get those number jumps before, you were doing a turbo swap...

The power jumps are good, but where are the normal jumps lol. I wish I could have a mild upgrade like that for when I don't want the big power.

I do wonder how long they waited though before testing.

Kei

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
I actually LIKE that the lowest power stage 1 tune is like an actual stage 1 tune lol. I've always hated that for whatever reason every stage 1 tune from the usual VW tuning companies all are much more like a stage 3 ecu tune. No way should a simple stage 1 turn the car into something completely different than it was. +10whp and +30-40tq is a great stage jump to me.

Makes more sense to me than Stage one being +50whp and +100tq or some other madness, and the ln Stage 2 being +5whp and +10tq compared to that lol. To get those number jumps before, you were doing a turbo swap...

The power jumps are good, but where are the normal jumps lol. I wish I could have a mild upgrade like that for when I don't want the big power.

I do wonder how long they waited though before testing.

Kei

APR has several levels of stage 1 now. Stage 2 increases the power distribution across band more than peak power numbers, based on what I've seen/heard.