GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning/Chip FAQ Thread: Which One Do I choose?

Jhayesvw

Passed Driver's Ed
New product development.
Plus they are supposedly tinkering with the mk6 stage 1 and 2 tunes
So they will want to make their money back on that time.

ExcelonGT

Passed Driver's Ed
Im waiting to see what APR are changing to the stage 1 tune before I can justify paying a higher price for something that most everyone else paid less for. The arbitrary raising of prices really irks me

phuccer1

Ready to race!
I wanted to drop some money around this time for a Stage 1...but I think I'm just going to wait until end of year sale. See what happens then.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I wanted to drop some money around this time for a Stage 1...but I think I'm just going to wait until end of year sale. See what happens then.
Same.

The Ginkneb

Ready to race!
I got a thumbs down on my post, so, sorry for whoever was upset by what I had to say. Just trying to clarify that you should consider that warranty issue are likely going to come up even with a stage 1 tune. Not blaming the tune for what happened, in fact quite the opposite.

I got the car back today with a new motor and turbo for less than $500 + $50 worth of beer for the service writer and tech who pulled the strings to save my ass.

ExcelonGT

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm just curious. When is a price increase justified in your mind? And what price increase would not be arbitrary?

I'd be ok with paying a little more if APR improved the stage 1 tune in any way. It annoys me if when vendors increase price for something that is identical to what others paid less for

zrickety

The Fixer
They told me at the show they are realistically 2 months away.

soular

Ready to race!
Thanks for all of the info gents!

I saw emissions briefly mentioned earlier in the thread. Is this any sort of concern on stage 1 for passing an emissions test? I'm in CO. I suppose it would be just simply putting it back in stock mode to avoid any issues?

handisnacks

Ready to race!
I just bought an MK6 and am planning on getting a tune this friday from 034Motorsports in Freemont, CA. Should I go with APR or Unitronic? Unitronic is $99 less and seems to offer basically the same output. But is APR superior in some way? I don't want anything fancy. I just want a bit more power out of my new fun car, it's my daily driver. I won't be doing anything beyond a tune, intake and exhaust. I've already upgraded my plugs (NGK) and coils (R8). Everything else will just be aesthetic. Thanks