GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning/Chip FAQ Thread: Which One Do I choose?

st1ckyGTI

Ready to race!
The ECU will adjust. An intake doesn't require a new tune, only a downpipe will ?

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5 using Tapatalk.

ok cool, thanks

ekeith2000

+1 yes just do it. It'll be about $100 and you can say you have parts from an R8. They won't fail pretty much ever and theoretically should give you a stronger and more consistent spark/burn.

NGP in Maryland gave me free labor for the flash and the coilpacks since I was buying everything through them, so it might be worth asking about.

Also be sure to ask for your OEM coilpacks back! I forgot and had to go back and somewhat embarrassingly ask for a set of 4. They were chill about it. :thumbsup:

Very close to pulling the trigger on an APR tune (I'm at 35k miles). I've seen the plugs and coilpacks mentioned but never seen any specific info about what plugs and coilpacks. Any additional info to help with the acquisition would be appreciated.

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion
Very close to pulling the trigger on an APR tune (I'm at 35k miles). I've seen the plugs and coilpacks mentioned but never seen any specific info about what plugs and coilpacks. Any additional info to help with the acquisition would be appreciated.

Audi "red-top" coils are what you are looking for, and you can get them from any reputable vendor. I got mine from modded euros. Those guys rock, and have always treated me well. The spark plugs that I have in my signature are also a very popular option. NGK BKR7EIX, I believe. Can't remember where I got mine; either HS Tuning or Urotuning.

My two cents: plugs and coils are a must. I have read a lot of stories about people blowing the stock black coils after getting tuned, and it is very scary, especially at highway speed, or in the middle of a WOT pull. Not necessarily dangerous for you, or horrible for the engine, but you wouldn't want to drive very far if it were to happen. HS Tuning did bench testing with the red top coils, and determined that they do indeed make a difference, and are not just cool-looking. Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iHipster

mjgray7

Recently got stage 1 from APR. Honestly not thoroughly impressed. Thought I would feel a BIG. Where are most of the gains. The shop said it would be at like 3k but not so much. Thoughts?

Muratti

Ready to race!
Recently got stage 1 from APR. Honestly not thoroughly impressed. Thought I would feel a BIG. Where are most of the gains. The shop said it would be at like 3k but not so much. Thoughts?

Well, this does not sound so cool to an APR stage 1 prospective customer like me!

Are you sure you're not in stock mode, did you buy only one program? It should be a pretty significant difference.

mjgray7

Got 4 progs he said he did not leave it in stock. So I would not have thought to make sure but I will now. Thanks!

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Well, this does not sound so cool to an APR stage 1 prospective customer like me!
Although I am not tuned, I have done pulls beside Apr stage 1 & 2 cars. The power is there and they easily out class the stock gti. Butt dyno is butt dyno but it being faster is fact.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jared32

Ready to race!