GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo not engaging?!!? Help please!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
1) I am a noob. Never had a VW before, new to the turbo world, and I just upgraded from an older civic (yeah yeah I already know)

2) sorry, should've been more specific.

Manual trans. Do the usual, start in first gear, shift as needed. But i don't thin it was spooling. I've recently got an ear for why the spool sounds like, and I don't hear it. I just hear a crackling noise, like a campfire burning the embers. It's not the same as the air intake, that much I am certain. I really have no idea if there was an boost leak or what.

So I went this morning to try driving it. But as soon as I turned it on, the engine light came on this morning. So I took it to my mechanic to get a diagnostic reading. Like 7 codes pop up all involving the fuel system. Injectors, low pressure, other stuff. So I took it to a dealer and it's there right now (side note: they "ran out of loaner cars" I dont really believe that but okay).

They're taking care of it. I
Under still under power train and an extended bumper to bumper.

Would injectors really cause the turbo not to "work"?
I'm trying to explain in detail what happens when I hit the throttle.
It'll accelerate like normal in every gear, until I hit roughly 2000 rpm in any single gear, whether it's 2000 rpm in 1st or in 4th or 6th, etc. I dont have a boost gauge. For all I know, I could be getting like, 2 psi. I don't know. I've read on the forums the factory turbo pushes 13 psi on a stock set up, which my car is. But I don't feel any kind of boost coming in usually I'm pushed into my seat (not like in a BT set up, but come on, it's my first turbo car and I upgraded from a 100hp civic.)

So when it gets to 2000 rpm, it'll keep accelerating, but slowly. It takes forever to get to 60mph. In the short time I had it with this problem, I noticed Lower mpg. I usually get about 32 on my way home if I'm just cruising. But I was barely getting 21. Driving the same, same road, not flooring the throttle. You get the idea.

It also took forever to start up. Usually I just put the key in, press in the clutch, turn the key, and you know it usually just turns on in a matter of 2 seconds. The starter would crank a few times, maybe 4. But today, it probably cranked 10-12 times before I pressed on the gas pedal while it was still trying to start up. Then it cranked a few more times, finally came on.

Again, yeah I'm not car guy. No I don't know the terminology that well, but I'm trying.

Long sort short, it's apparently my fuel system. But, why would THAT stop the turbo from spooling?
Or at least, why am I not getting anything out of my turbo? Yes I know because my fuelling system is messed up, but mechanically, where does the fuel system come in on the life of the turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'

If you're not getting fuel your not getting power. You could be making 10psi but if your fueling is operating at a kindergarten level of slow glue being poured out for glitter art... your not gonna be able to make any power. Fuel + Air = power... so lose one of those and its not doing much.

Would like to hear what the dealer says is the issue. Please continue to update this thread.

Oh and get a boost gauge this way you can notice stuff.. its roughly $150~ and the install takes at most a hour by yourself, if your not sure what your doing but can fallow basic written instructions and have a very general knowledge about the car.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
If there is no fuel, there is no boom, if there is no boom, there is no exhaust pressure/gas, if there is no exhaust, there is no turbo spool, if there is no spool, there is no go.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
If there is no fuel, there is no boom, if there is no boom, there is no exhaust pressure/gas, if there is no exhaust, there is no turbo spool, if there is no spool, there is no go.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
could even be in limp mode due to a lpfp issue. that's how my car drove when my fuel regulator fuse blew. so yeah it could be a lot of things. easiest thing to do is scan for codes and go from there.

but when they fix it let us know what it was.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Lol simpler terms than what i tried to state.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
could even be in limp mode due to a lpfp issue. that's how my car drove when my fuel regulator fuse blew. so yeah it could be a lot of things. easiest thing to do is scan for codes and go from there.

but when they fix it let us know what it was.

I was thinking the same thing too.

Cuervo

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the answers guys! Dealer just said it's a bad fuel pump, I have an extended warranty to get it repaired, but the damn company I have the extended warranty thru doesn't have me on file so it'll be a few days before I get approved. It's Stupid. I have a car for the weekend, but once Monday hits I'm screwed.

But anyways, yeah I want to gets boost gauge. I'll this time to ask: do digital gauges have a delay? Buddy of mine told me they do, but he also said is not big enough to make a difference.
And for anyone with a K04, how much psi do you put out? from what I've seen, a 30 gauge is enough, but I wanted to go 35 just for the hell of it.

Also, I do have the check engine light on. I took it to my mechanic who has the diagnostic scanner, 7 codes came back. All having to do with the fuel system. I can't recall what exactly they were, but I remember injectors and low pressure.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the answers guys! Dealer just said it's a bad fuel pump, I have an extended warranty to get it repaired, but the damn company I have the extended warranty thru doesn't have me on file so it'll be a few days before I get approved. It's Stupid. I have a car for the weekend, but once Monday hits I'm screwed.

But anyways, yeah I want to gets boost gauge. I'll this time to ask: do digital gauges have a delay? Buddy of mine told me they do, but he also said is not big enough to make a difference.
And for anyone with a K04, how much psi do you put out? from what I've seen, a 30 gauge is enough, but I wanted to go 35 just for the hell of it.

Also, I do have the check engine light on. I took it to my mechanic who has the diagnostic scanner, 7 codes came back. All having to do with the fuel system. I can't recall what exactly they were, but I remember injectors and low pressure.

Mechanical boost gauges are the best. if your gonna do a digital one (Such as p3cars) get the analog boost gauge sensor its a extra $30 but you will get true psi reading like a mechanical gauge.

Mine reads up to 30... and most k04 tunes are in the mid 20s. for psi i think aprs new revision spikes 28lbs? but i may be mistaken.

Stock boost is like 10lbs. Stage one is like 15lbs or so stage two is 18lbs roughly.. k04 is between 20-28lbs depends on tuner.

Cuervo

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright if anyone is still here, I got my car back. Fuel pump fixed/ replaced. Not sure if they gave me a used one or new or refurbished or just fixed the one I had. Got to double check paper work. But before I had this issue, I was able to hit 34+ mpg. Now, I don't even hit 30.

Thoughts?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Alright if anyone is still here, I got my car back. Fuel pump fixed/ replaced. Not sure if they gave me a used one or new or refurbished or just fixed the one I had. Got to double check paper work. But before I had this issue, I was able to hit 34+ mpg. Now, I don't even hit 30.

Thoughts?

Before you were running lean by not getting the requested fuel you needed... So you were getting "Better" mpg now you're getting all the fuel your car is requesting so it seems less efficient to you but its actually running properly.

*Edit I do mostly city driving and im lucky if i break 22mpg. When i do the rare highway i can get about 30mpg usually 28mpg though.. im also doing roughly 80mph with the ac on at those times too.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I know this is old but which fuel pump was replaced LPFP or HPFP
OP replaced HPFP... I would replace BOTH as both can fail/known to fail