GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo

joevw22

Ready to race!
Hey I have a pretty good stance on what I want done on my GTI within the next year and a half, but one thing I’m stuck on is the turbo. I’ve gone through countless pages of people arguing over what big turbo to get and I can’t decide. I figured I’d ask y’all and ask you to check out my build right now and what’s projected (here.) I’m looking for the power range of 350-390whp any suggestions?

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
the yellow one

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Ko4 is absolutely perfect for daily.
I've had mine for 2 years and it still puts a smile on my face. The acceleration isnt going to rip your arms off but you can get to 350 whp.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
K04 if that is your power goals. That will get you to 350 then WMI to get closer to 400HP.

Totally transforms the car. It can be a lot to handle on the small country back roads I frequent but once on the highway she freaking rips. Like allchocked up said it won't rip your race off or slam you back into your seat because the power and speed come on so smooth. It's like yeah I'm moving pretty good, holy hell I'm in triple digits already.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
K04 if that is your power goals. That will get you to 350 then WMI to get closer to 400HP.

Totally transforms the car. It can be a lot to handle on the small country back roads I frequent but once on the highway she freaking rips. Like allchocked up said it won't rip your race off or slam you back into your seat because the power and speed come on so smooth. It's like yeah I'm moving pretty good, holy hell I'm in triple digits already.
thats what i meant to say. lol

but really... the k04 with bare min upgrades will get you close to 340 easy, change out the intercooler, and turbo pipes and you will gain another 10-15hp easy.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
K04 is a lot of fun, but I'm much happier with my current GTX2867R. It's just a easy to daily as the K04, but has a a lot more to offer through the RPM range.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
K04 is a lot of fun, but I'm much happier with my current GTX2867R. It's just a easy to daily as the K04, but has a a lot more to offer through the RPM range.
did you have to change any engine internals?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
did you have to change any engine internals?
No, but I had all the supporting mods prior to upgrading. I've run 20 gallons of race gas through the car in the 100 octane mode and it ran very strong. Internals are not needed unless you're beating the shit out the car on the 100 octane file all the time. I think even then, the motor should handle it.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
what would be the typical cost that one should expect for going K04 if it were to be done at a shop?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
what would be the typical cost that one should expect for going K04 if it were to be done at a shop?
It really depends on what you're looking to have done. Just the K04 install and no other supporting mods? I was quoted 6 hours labor from my shop when I was toying with putting my old K04 in my girlfriend's Tiguan.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
To get the performance out of a K04 or the mentioned 2867R properly preparing the engine would include the following parts list to get rid of all the intake and exhausts choke points, insure proper ignition and provide for best air cooling.

Parts
1350 - K04 kit
900 - K04 tune (Off the shelf tune with a loader so you can put tune on yourself)
250 - Neuspeed High Flow discharge pipe
190 - Neuspeed High Flow charge pipe
1200 - 3in Turboback exhaust
600 - Unitronic Intercooler
50 - NGK plugs
125 - Fresh set of ignition coils
300 - High flow intake
350 - Motor/Trans and pendulum upgrade

5165 - Parts total ( Of course you may have some of these parts so actual amount you might spend will be less by that amount)

1200 - Labor

6365 - Total

It would be more expensive to go GTX2867R because it costs more. CTS sells GTX2867R kit for 3299.00 (vs 1350 for the K04). It flows a lot more than a K04. To really take advantage of it (500whp or more) you have to build the motor and increase fueling and do custom tuning. Then you are up to
around 12-15K. I have built both K04 and EFR7163 setups.

To me the best value for street performance was my K04 setup. It was also plenty of power to have fun on track days. You can get to around 340-350 with a K04. I think with a GTX on stock fueling you are probably going to be able to hit 380-390whp. I personally would just go K04 and give up the extra 40-50whp and keep the money difference for other mods..... like brakes.

Just an opinion -

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
To get the performance out of a K04 or the mentioned 2867R properly preparing the engine would include the following parts list to get rid of all the intake and exhausts choke points, insure proper ignition and provide for best air cooling.

Parts
1350 - K04 kit
900 - K04 tune (Off the shelf tune with a loader so you can put tune on yourself)
250 - Neuspeed High Flow discharge pipe
190 - Neuspeed High Flow charge pipe
1200 - 3in Turboback exhaust
600 - Unitronic Intercooler
50 - NGK plugs
300 - High flow intake

5165 - Parts total ( Of course you may have some of these parts so actual amount you might spend will be less by that amount)

1200 - Labor

6365 - Total

It would be more expensive to go GTX2867R because it costs more. CTS sells GTX2867R kit for 3299.00 (vs 1350 for the K04). It flows a lot more than a K04. To really take advantage of it (500whp or more) you have to build the motor and increase fueling and do custom tuning. Then you are up to
around 12-15K. I have built both K04 and EFR7163 setups.

To me the best value for street performance was my K04 setup. It was also plenty of power to have fun on track days. You can get to around 340-350 with a K04. I think with a GTX on stock fueling you are probably going to be able to hit 380-390whp. I personally would just go K04 and give up the extra 40-50whp and keep the money difference for other mods..... like brakes.

Just an opinion -
Good information. Thank you!(y)

GolNat

Autocross Champion

GIACuser has a great break down!!

I'll add that all that is not "needed" to go K04, that is what is needed to get the most out of the setup. You can technically run a K04 with stock parts and just bolt it on. Also buying parts used can save some money. All the parts on my car were used except a few. I am running stock intercooler and piping and it's still loads of fun. I buy parts as they come up used and add them when I can. No need to wait until you have them all unless someone else is doing the install in which case you will save on labor. If you are comfortable doing some of the work you can have someone do the K04 and you do the intercooler, charge pipes, etc.

Minimum:

1350 - K04 kit (850 used Borg Warner)
900 - K04 tune (Off the shelf tune with a loader so you can put tune on yourself) (used Accessport 450 + tune 325)
600 - Downpipe (used 350)
50 - NGK plugs
300 - High flow intake

3675 new/2800 used (could be even lower) - Parts total

1200 - Labor

4000-4875 - Total

Oh and tires. You are gonna need some summer/performance tires unless you just want to go to spin city all the time.

Last edited:

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Oh and tires. You are gonna need some summer/performance tires unless you just want to go to spin city all the time.
THIS ... and an LSD (if you want to use the power in 1st and 2nd)

I still spin all the time, but at least it pulls straight, and still moves forward instead of sliding sidways and loosing all power in spin.

I break loose in 2nd (around 5k) with full clutch engagement (no dumping the clutch) the LSD has been awesome how it just pulls thru

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
GIACuser has a great break down!!

I'll add that all that is not "needed" to go K04, that is what is needed to get the most out of the setup. You can technically run a K04 with stock parts and just bolt it on. Also buying parts used can save some money. All the parts on my car were used except a few. I am running stock intercooler and piping and it's still loads of fun. I buy parts as they come up used and add them when I can. No need to wait until you have them all unless someone else is doing the install in which case you will save on labor. If you are comfortable doing some of the work you can have someone do the K04 and you do the intercooler, charge pipes, etc.

At minimum I would say:

I really didn't want to tell him the whole truth, that once you double the horsepower you will want to double the braking power which takes new brakes, high friction pads and proper tires and of course maybe a little wider wheels. Then you will need (what you tell the wife) / want in the way of suspension to be able to use the increased speed through the corners (coilovers, swaybars, poly bushings etc) ..... because you want a car with power, handling and braking .... not just power.

And then you will go out to the track and find out that coming out of right hand corners under even mild power produces wheel spin.... then you realize you "need" an LSD. Then your times start getting good and then you realize you need an oil cooler.... and pretty soon you have put 30k into the car .....

And then you are so fast at the track you can't stay in your seat and you start looking at seats, roll cages, fire extinguishers and 5 point belt systems..... and now you want to start filming all of this so you will need multiple go-pros ....... Anyway you get the idea.... once you start down the big turbo route it becomes a HUGE money pit especially when you get to the point where you are trailering the car to the track with a new truck and trailer you bought just for those days.... But honey I "need" all that.

Last edited: