GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

uglybastard's PSSMKLLR GTI owner journal

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
This weekend, i installed some Recaro seats into the mk6. this has been a project in the making for about 6 months now.

I bought them from one of those parts sellers in Southeast Asia who lists things on Instagram. yeah, i know, seems sketchy but i did paypal goods and services to cover the purchase in case i got ripped off. Warning to those buying these seats from questionable sources, ask for a shot of the serial number labels to make sure they're legit. This was back in Jan/Feb and the package got there from thailand in under 2 weeks via DHL. Which is pretty impressive considering how long the shipment lag was because of COVID things. They're legit Recaros, but have been recovered (black cloth / white vinyl).

I used eBay universal sliders, Planted Technology brackets, and hardware from home depot motorsports to do the rest. I also took the time to try and put the OEM airbag stuff on there with resistors to try and bypass error lights. I had to figure out my own hardware situation - not optimal but getting the sliders mounted went ok. I wanted hex-socket hardware to make sure i could get into the narrow space of the slider rail to tighten things up. finding low-profile allen keys that fit was a PITA. I settled on these, for the curious. I went through 2 sets of Neiko keys, not a fan. The sliders went on OK, i had to shape the slider bar myself which was not great since the bracket does not give much clearance. not impossible but difficult to get just right.

Along the way i decided to put new seat supporting straps as the original material was a bit flaky and worn. the straps were on eBay for a real reasonable price.

This made putting the passenger occupancy sensor in there a piece of cake.

mounting the bracket with the seat to the car proved a bit tougher than expected. the OEM bolts did not fit into all the ports to mount, so back to HDM i went.

before you ask, i have low-profile triple square socket set, and this clearly was not going to fit.

OEM bolts are M10x38mm triple square socket head, i bought some M10x25mm bolts (hex head) that work great. mostly. See i have one bolt hole (passenger seat, inner rear) that had a cross-threaded bolt a whole back and it took many ugga-duggas to get it to this point:

But the others bolted up real nicely and the passenger seat is secure:

Things I still need to chase with this include getting the airbag light to go away (either new resistors or coding), finding some cover or carpeting to cover that gap you see above, and getting the driver side slider handle situated, Passenger side is in there well but i took the drives side out after eyeballing it before installing the seat+bracket. Eventually i want to reupholster the centers on these. I'd also like to figure out a way to fix the fucked up bolt hole on the passenger. might end up needing the drill out and put a nutsert in it's place.

torga

Autocross Champion
Looking good! Did you order from @used.racingparts? They put up some awesome seats every now and then.
They put these up a couple months ago that would look KILLER on the right car.
1626637544634.png

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Looking good! Did you order from @used.racingparts? They put up some awesome seats every now and then.
View attachment 219991
I did. Definitely some good ones pop up every now and again. I was about to pull the trigger on something brand new from Asia to be shipped at basically 2.5x the cost when I found the ones I bought. Actually missed out on another set I really liked before these.

But, @UroTuning is now a seller of both Recaro and Planted products. Weeks after I bought mine I found out that they were in the process of getting things going. Oh well.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
View attachment 219991
Feel like those need to go in a 90s JDM car (if only I had my dream 92 Supra 2.5GT TT) but yeah they're absolute killers

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Feel like those need to go in a 90s JDM car (if only I had my dream 92 Supra 2.5GT TT) but yeah they're absolute killers
Haha yeah I was looking at the recaro offerings and feel like everyone doing recaro goes the sportster CS route. Wanted to stand out a bit.

Edit: I was looking at these:

Screenshot_20210720-144913_eBay.jpg

But it would be about $6k to get them sent from Europe.

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Getting things ready for winter storage, I have arranged a covered parking situation, starting in November through end of march.

Need to raise the coilovers and slap winter wheels on, probably about 3 or 4 weeks away from doing that though.

Today I slapped some things in the engine bay. Wanted to replace my oil cap from the Castrol advert to something cleaner looking. Figured I should do the coolant cap to match.

20211014_162109.jpg

The rubber bit around the oil filler port does not play nicely with the low profile oil cap I put on. So, I'll be looking into alternative engine covers, maybe there is something out there that does not have an opening for the oil cap... I really don't want to do the CF one that is made by E*S, here is to hoping that I can find something this winter.

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
Getting things ready for winter storage, I have arranged a covered parking situation, starting in November through end of march.

Need to raise the coilovers and slap winter wheels on, probably about 3 or 4 weeks away from doing that though.

Today I slapped some things in the engine bay. Wanted to replace my oil cap from the Castrol advert to something cleaner looking. Figured I should do the coolant cap to match.

View attachment 227941

The rubber bit around the oil filler port does not okay nicely with the low profile oil cap I put on. So, I'll be looking into alternative engine covers, maybe there is something out there that does not have an opening for the oil cap... I really don't want to do the CF one that is made by E*S, here is to hoping that I can find something this winter.
1634248070349.jpeg

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

pretty happy with how things are sitting now. need to fix some rubbing issues next year.

time to begin winterizing for storage (oil change and probably fuel stabilizer for the 1/2 tank i intend to leave). hoping for a warm day this week to get a proper cleaning in before i bring it over, in maybe 2 weeks...

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Bought a used turboback setup today just for one component.

Been looking for a test pipe for my 42DD downpipe, and came across a turboback for sale that also had the test pipe with it. The price was good enough.
View attachment 238217

What I will probably do is sell the downpipe here, slap on the catback portion and sell the existing catback I have.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Oh that’s smart. I haven’t had rear seats in years. Definitely copying that.
16505800477228628430341600275161.jpg

Once you pull the rear seat you'll see how much extra you have to play with. Cut what you need and move on with things.

Forgive the lack of clean interior. Needs a good vacuuming.