GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Under Seat Storage Tray DIY - Lot's of Pics

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Installed on 2011 GTI 4 Door Autobahn.
Leather power recline seats with Dynaudio amp and Bluetooth module underneath the seats. So it should fit on any GTI.

Tools Needed:

T-20 Torx Bit
M-10 Triple Square Bit
Ratchet Wrench
Ratchet Extension Bar (~ 5-8 inches)
4mm Rivet Gun

Parts:

ECS Tuning includes all the hardware needed for install.

Seat Tray Kit - Titanium Black: Driver's Side

Seat Tray Kit - Titanium Black: Passenger's Side

Parts by VW Number:

1x 1K0 882 601J 82V - Driver's Side Drawer
1x 1K0 882 602J 82V - Passenger's Side Drawer
1x 1K0 882 599B 9B9 - Driver's Side Guidance Frame
1x 1K0 882 600B 9B9 - Passenger's Side Guidance Frame
1x 1K0 881 547A - Driver's Side Retainer (Metal Piece)
1x 1K0 881 548A - Passenger's Side Retainer (Metal Piece)
4x N 900 978 02 - Pop Rivet 4x8x12.3
8x N909 998 01 - Oval Hexagon Socket Head Bolt M4x8.5 (T20 Torx)

Guidance Frames

Drawers

Step One:

Seats are held by 4 (2 Front 2 Back) Triple Square M10 bolts on the rails.
In a pinch, a T50 Torx bit will also work for these bolts.

Slide seat forward as far as it will go.
Remove the 2 bolts on the rear of the seats.

Step Two:

Slide the seat back as far as possible.
Remove the bolts in the front.
You can now gently tilt back the entire seat assembly.
You might want to move your seat back forward before doing this.
Also you will not need to disconnect any wires. Just be careful.

You remove the rear bolts first, because if you go front to back then the rails will shift when you slide the seat back with no bolts later.

Step Three:

Locate the rivet points underneath the seat.

Passenger's Side

Driver's Side

Line up the retainer metal piece and tape it in place if you have no one to hold it for you.

Use a rivet gun to attach the metal retainer piece.
Watch a Youtube video of how to use a rivet gun if you don't know how.
It's really easy.

Warning: The retainer pieces are side specific. Look at the pics carefully so you don't switch them. Once riveted, it will be a pain to fix.

Passenger's Side

Driver's Side

Step Four:

Place the guidance frames underneath the seat and line them up with the screw points.

It is easiest to screw them from outside in starting with the riveted brace.

The center screw will require you to go through the hole in the bottom of the tray. You will need to use the extension bar. This is also why you should not install the drawer into the tray until you are done.

Passenger's Side

Driver's Side

Step Five:

Take your drawer piece and line it with the guides in the frame.
Once the drawer meets some resistance, you can use a gentle tap to lock it into place.

You're done!

Additional Photos:

Thoughts:

-Installation is very simple and quick.
-Drawers add some much needed storage space.
-Drawers are lined with felt and match up perfectly with rest of interior.
-Leather was upholstered lower on my driver's side which prevents the drawer from closing properly. This is probably vehicle specific so YMMV.
-Drawers don't slide out very far. The pictures above are as far as they open.

FinalOne

Ready to race!
Awesome write up.
i had these installed from factory for 50 euro
I dont know how much did it cost for you to install,
but i think they provide too little space to worth an aftermarket install
(Just a couple o CD's) its cool though:thumbup:

walbjj

Ready to race!
no idea what people are carrying in their cars to say that these pissy little drawers provide much needed sotrage space?
a glovebox, centre console where my ipod goes, and side pockets. plus i have the front ashtray console and the drivers console as well as the bottle opener console.
what else do u need?
if its a big item, it goes in the boot.

Stevec717

Ready to race!
Nice DIY - I see you did the Euro Cubby in the dash as well......

Steve

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
no idea what people are carrying in their cars to say that these pissy little drawers provide much needed sotrage space?
a glovebox, centre console where my ipod goes, and side pockets. plus i have the front ashtray console and the drivers console as well as the bottle opener console.
what else do u need?
if its a big item, it goes in the boot.

Us Americans have a lot of junk in the trunk I guess...

In all seriousness though, the NA spec GTI's do not come with the dash cubby or sliding cup holders. Compared to other cars in our market, the GTI has very little usable storage space. Even the sunglass holder won't hold anything but the smallest of glasses. The center console underneath the armrest is a joke. And the ashtray will barely fit an EZ pass if you lay it just right.

I agree the underseat drawers are small as you can see in the pics above, but they are good for keeping small items from cluttering the cabin. It's good for CD's, tissues/towels, flashlights, small tools, receipts, etc. I like to keep my side pockets free. Just keep my VW umbrella and maybe a water bottle in there. And I only put documents in the glovebox. So I guess it just depends on how you like to organize things. :)

theunderlord

Ready to race!
Haters gon' hate I guess.

Great write-up!

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Nice DIY - I see you did the Euro Cubby in the dash as well......

Steve

Thanks. Yea, it wasn't that hard to install except for one bolt. ECS has a great video. Small hands and the right tools make all the difference. The euro cupholders were a different nightmare altogether though.

Zero46

Ready to race!
Thanks for the writeup. Do they affect how low the seats can go tho? I keep mine almost all the way down.

wutsupdoc1

Ready to race!
very nice write up. i don't think im going to get these anymore, because they just don't look worth it. but very nicely done, lots of helpful pictures, and tons of information. great job :w00t:

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
the euro cup holder isn't as bad as it seems. i just did it today. i messed up at first and ended with two extra screws but i got it all back together now.

maybe i'll take it apart again and take some pictures for a DIY as we are missing one for it right now.

OT: i followed turtlejames' guide and it works perfectly!

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the writeup. Do they affect how low the seats can go tho? I keep mine almost all the way down.

No. Seats go all the way down. Thanks.