GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic k04 coolant leak

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Have coolant dripping from this line. Coming from inside the corrugated section, so looks like it’s running down from the connection above. Can someone tell me what this line is called so I can order a replacement ahead of time? Is this an OEM line, or would I need to order from Unitronic? Thanks!

345BE870-02D2-4180-A849-30A12FB129CB.jpeg

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Looking at Uni's k04 kit on their site, it doesnt list any new oil/water lines as being included. Just new crush washers for those lines so i assume that is an OEM coolant line. Looks like one of the ones here:

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
From what I can see looks like the coolant feed line to the turbo. Anyone know if the turbo has to be dropped to access the upper connection? Not visible from below, and exhaust manifold in the way from above.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
From what I can see looks like the coolant feed line to the turbo. Anyone know if the turbo has to be dropped to access the upper connection? Not visible from below, and exhaust manifold in the way from above.
I had this issue and I had to pull the turbo. There was no way to get xzn socket in there. I think the only one you can get to is the oil drain on the turbo. A real PITA

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
you might get lucky and get a xzn in there and put some vice grips on the socket. Definitely worth a try before pulling the turbo

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
That is a possibility I assume, without getting back under i can't say for sure.
I did consider cutting one of my sockets and grinding a square on it so I could get a box wrench on it. For some reason I did not so who knows
I bought that exact set to get to a difficult bolt on the front of the engine and it worked so well it made me wonder why all sockets don't come with a hex base that you could use a wrench on. With these if there's enough room to get the socket into the bolt, there's enough room to loosen it.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I have those exact sockets. Highly recommend them. The hex drive has come in handy a few times. As for the leak, I got under there, but there really isn’t clearance without pulling other parts out of the way. I ordered all new lines all around, figure I’ll pay for the labor once and have all lines replaced for peace of mind. 80k miles.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
could be that the original install didnt stack or use thick washers... i chased this issue when i first put in my k04, the uni kit doesnt come with extra or thick. had to read the CTS install to figure it out, it barely did not seal, the line bottoms out on the plug above it.

as far as pulling the bolt, you dont need to pull the turbo, i just used a wrench and a tripple square socket that was just trip square to hex, so low profile, actually part of my vw brake service tool set, that OTC set should work great.

you may need to loosen the top banjo for the oil inlet to swing that line out of the way.

Last edited:

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion