GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Updated waterpump (BG) feedback

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys, looking to get some feedback on the latest waterpump released for the CBFA engine: part# 06J-121-026-BG. I'm having one installed tomorrow, and trying to get an idea if it's a long term fix or if this will be a repeat failure. I realize installation has quite a bit to do with the failures, but I'm speaking more about the plastic/composite material being any different than the previous versions.

It seems ridiculous to me to manufacture a critical component like a waterpump out of composite, especially considering it's exposed to the direct heat of the cylinder block....so I was disappointed to see the newest version is not completely aluminum, but still composite. Anyone heard of or seen a BG pump failed?

Wideopentuning

Ready to race!
I have no first hand experience but my brother works in the parts department of a VW dealership. He said that so far, they have had good luck with the latest revision versus some of the earlier ones. From what I understand, attention to detail during install can also play a role in lifespan.

songyun

Ready to race!
i had that new version one on March this year. then replaced another one for 3k miles. now it's been 5k. hope it wont be a problem anymore

TesseracT

Passed Driver's Ed
Had mine for the past 3k with zero problems. Personally, I asked them to just take their time and put their most comfortable guy/guys on the job and to not skip out on the seal that is also included as part of the recall (humble mechanic mentioned it).

However, I was on the previous revision with no problems as well. Humble Mechanic has a video out where he talks about the design difference with this latest one, so it seems like it's definitely a step in the right direction based on the issue he had seen on several water pumps before.

I'm not placing any bets on it, but it definitely seems to be an upgrade

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
i had that new version one on March this year. then replaced another one for 3k miles. now it's been 5k. hope it wont be a problem anymore

If I understand you right, you're on your second BG pump? Can you elaborate a little more on where it was leaking from? Based on the info I'm seeing, VW is under the impression that the impeller seal is what's been failing. So they've updated the impeller housing to aluminum and changed the seal design, but left the main housing still plastic/composite. Looking at the actual failures, it's not the impeller seal that's failing, but rather the actual housing (which is plastic) and O-ring seal that mounts to the block. If they haven't updated housing material, then we'll keep seeing these O-rings failing and causing the leak.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and the new design resolves the issue...

zrickety

The Fixer
I had no problem with the first design from 09 but if the new one is more idiot proof, that's a win.

songyun

Ready to race!
If I understand you right, you're on your second BG pump? Can you elaborate a little more on where it was leaking from? Based on the info I'm seeing, VW is under the impression that the impeller seal is what's been failing. So they've updated the impeller housing to aluminum and changed the seal design, but left the main housing still plastic/composite. Looking at the actual failures, it's not the impeller seal that's failing, but rather the actual housing (which is plastic) and O-ring seal that mounts to the block. If they haven't updated housing material, then we'll keep seeing these O-rings failing and causing the leak.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and the new design resolves the issue...

yeah. I had 2 BG pump. first 1 because the old version leaks. then, second one is not leaking at the time my CEL. i got a code(p2568). i leave it to dealer. when i picked up my car i found the dealer replaced the another BG water pump.

nickp1

Ready to race!
Hey guys, looking to get some feedback on the latest waterpump released for the CBFA engine: part# 06J-121-026-BG. I'm having one installed tomorrow, and trying to get an idea if it's a long term fix or if this will be a repeat failure. I realize installation has quite a bit to do with the failures, but I'm speaking more about the plastic/composite material being any different than the previous versions.

It seems ridiculous to me to manufacture a critical component like a waterpump out of composite, especially considering it's exposed to the direct heat of the cylinder block....so I was disappointed to see the newest version is not completely aluminum, but still composite. Anyone heard of or seen a BG pump failed?

I have had one for 10k now due to the recall issued. It works. Thats all I can tell you lol.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Im getting a new pump installed in about a week on my car. I managed to make it to 88,000km on the factory one from when the car had 12km on it brand new.... SO I consider myself lucky and wasn't even really mad when it started leaking late last year. Soon as she wakes up for this year, new pump is getting installed and I'll monitor it and see how it does.

Lets hope they improved it.

jinxster

Passed Driver's Ed
2013 GTI. Original pump (not BG) failed at 34.5K miles--replaced under warranty with BG pump.
Unfortunately--that failed too at 75K miles with a coolant leak/puddle the symptom---replaced by VW under extended warranty with another BG pump.
So atleast for me--the replacement BG pump lifespan has been the same as the non-BG variant--abt 35K miles---does not seem like they actually have this problem worked out yet....:cautious: