GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade my crappy "s" headlights

nepveus

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2017 GTI S, and I love everything about the car except for the headlights. At the dealership I couldn't justify spending the extra few thousand dollars on headlights and that was really the only thing the SE had that I was interested in. Knowing that Volkswagen headlights/electronics can be tricky what is the simplest route to go for quality lighting. I.e. HIDs, LED's, Headlights from Volkswagen ect..... I'm looking to cap out at $500, but if new headlights are the best way I wouldn't mind spending more because I can sell the OEM ones. Thanks

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
I literally just installed my new headlights last night and was well worth every penny, they transform the look of the car. I went for Helix headlights and got them for a steal from another user on here. You can typically get them for about $500-$600 depending on who you order from. You won't be disappointed with the results.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
You can go with H7RC HID bulbs made for your housing - they won't blind anyone and create an amazing cut-off and produce as much light as projectors..
video:

listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gt...kit-full-set-including-adapters-and-resistors

all mk7 leds:
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-by-car-model-vw-gti-golf-mk7-2015

Let us know if you have any questions... And finally... A customer reviewed their projector and h7rc side by side (the mk7 has the same setup as the mk6 gti)- if you can tell the difference we'd be amazed as in photos / person they look the same:

Here are some pictures of the 5,500k D1S bulbs in my car and deAutoKey's 6,000k H7RC kit in my friend's grey MK6.

5,500k D1S in OEM Projector on left.
6,500k H7RC in OEM Reflector on right.

nepveus

I literally just installed my new headlights last night and was well worth every penny, they transform the look of the car. I went for Helix headlights and got them for a steal from another user on here. You can typically get them for about $500-$600 depending on who you order from. You won't be disappointed with the results.

Thanks for the response. I LOVE those lights. I recently went to a Volkswagen shop and they kind of steered me away from non-oem headlights. They said that VW headlights are so involved with the rest of the electronics in the car that changing something from oem can affect other things in the vehicle. BUT they never said there was an issue with them. Just to be cautious

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
Thanks for the response. I LOVE those lights. I recently went to a Volkswagen shop and they kind of steered me away from non-oem headlights. They said that VW headlights are so involved with the rest of the electronics in the car that changing something from oem can affect other things in the vehicle. BUT they never said there was an issue with them. Just to be cautious
I haven't heard of anybody having problems with them in terms of the entire car, I don't see why they'd create an issue if installed correctly.

nepveus

I haven't heard of anybody having problems with them in terms of the entire car, I don't see why they'd create an issue if installed correctly.

Every shop around me doesn't want to touch them. Ive had HID's on other vehicles before, but I'm not knowledgable to Volkswagen.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

This is 100% unabridged stealership bullshit. Never trust a word a VW dealer says to you. Get Ed's or Helix and be happy.

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
I thought about that, but I also am stuck in a predicament that I can't find anyone to do the install.
Just do the install yourself. It's a lot easier than it seems, it just takes patience. There's a few videos out there that walk you through it

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I thought about that, but I also am stuck in a predicament that I can't find anyone to do the install.

?? Got my replica headlights installed by my audio installer on my mk6 lol. anyone who does work on cars and do this. all it requires is dropping the bumper, removing the stock headlights, and installing the replacements. voila.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, DIY isn't terrible. And reality is if you're clever or small handed you don't have to get the whole bumper off. Really just need it to move a bit to get that one bolt on each headlight and slide the headlights out.

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
We provide install instructions as well, as there are a few DIY on YouTube on how to install our headlights.

We have the GTI headlights on sale at the moment for $480 per set. Add $110 for the Hylux brand or $150 for the Morimoto brand HID kit.

www.becautoparts.com

You get a working cornering light and LED Turn signals. Other brands don't have a working cornering light, bulb is there, just no wiring...

nepveus

?? Got my replica headlights installed by my audio installer on my mk6 lol. anyone who does work on cars and do this. all it requires is dropping the bumper, removing the stock headlights, and installing the replacements. voila.

Which place? if you don't mind me asking?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Which place? if you don't mind me asking?

Unless you live in the south jersey/philly area, the location would be pretty useless info. Like i said, anyone who does any kind of work on cars can do this. Audio installers. Mechanics. Autobody. Etc