GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade RNS-310 to VW-radio with Bluetooth, USB and DAB+ ??????

Mischa.mi

Hi all,

First of al: best wishes for everybody!

I would like to upgrade the RNS310 from my MK6 to an original radio that has (or can be extended with) Bluetooth, USB (to play from a hard drive) and DAB+. Is there an original VW-radio that can handle something like this? I don't use the navigation on the radio as I use WAZE, so if this can be achieved with an RCD-piece would be even better.

Best regards,
Mischa

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
RCD330+ is what I put in. It does have a USB input, bluetooth. It did not require any coding for my US car. Since you are not in the US not sure.
If you have an external media source like a DAB receiver with USB low level output should play like any other external media device.

What I like about the 330 is iphone carplay. It allows me to use apps like Waze and have it show up on the RCD330 screen where I can control and see it.
Best deal for the money. RCD330.com

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

Mischa.mi

Thanks for the suggestions! The only thing is, that I don't really need Carplay. I just never use it as I navigate on my phone. I could live with a Jack-plug to transfer audio from my phone to the radio and charge via a separate USB-charger. I rather not use an Android device.
I'm really searching for additional hardware to upgrade the stock radio to make calls, and connect a hard drive. If possible DAB would be a nice feature, here in the Netherlands it's pretty well spread and they're talking about banning FM-radio in the future. I don't mind to search for a stock head unit as long as I can expand with additional electronics to connect the other devices.

clownish

just clowning around
I'd stop by local audio shops and see what they suggest since you're also looking for region-specific info that I doubt most of us have.

Mischa.mi

A local shop will sell me a Sony or Pioneer, which is not what I want ;). I'm searching for an extension of the OEM radio, not an after-market replacement :). DAB is not a necessity, the USB-feature and Bluetooth are more important. Therefore it's not really region-specific. If it's better to look for another headunit (like an RCD without navigation) I'm open to that.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
A local shop will sell me a Sony or Pioneer, which is not what I want ;). I'm searching for an extension of the OEM radio, not an after-market replacement :). DAB is not a necessity, the USB-feature and Bluetooth are more important. Therefore it's not really region-specific. If it's better to look for another headunit (like an RCD without navigation) I'm open to that.
MK6 head units are old and were already outdated when these cars came out. Even the base model head unit that came with my car had USB input and bluetooth, but it's junk. Just about any aftermarket head unit available will crush all of the OEM head units available. Joying makes a couple that fit our dashes perfectly, and they offer great sound quality (with digital output). They can be a bit buggy, but I have been pretty satisfied with mine considering the price compared to the other options (which still had their own bugs). If you're looking to add those features the only input that I know of on that head unit is a simple aux input, so you can plug in and run whatever you want, but I don't know if you can add bluetooth or USB to that head unit, even if you can the quality will be pretty crap.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
RCD 330 has features you are asking for and it does not have navigation

It has a USB connector that allows for power as well as audio from DAB or drive. Also can do Bluetooth

clownish

just clowning around
RCD 330 is certainly the easiest plug and play option. (euro or china OEM but not in NA)

There's 1 or 2 other OEM+ options like the old school RNS 510 (mk5-6) and the newer MIB units (from mk7+ cars) that are much more expensive but have the same options and nicer screens or more fitting functionality.