GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Value' for the Enthusiast: Buying New & Holding vs. Buying Cheap & Used vs. Leasing

McQueen77

Banned
'Value' for the Enthusiast: Buying New & Holding vs. Buying Cheap & Used vs. Leasing

Just for shits, here's a question for the value minded car buyers on the forum. Those who's parents bought them a new GTI need not respond. Those who lease, it'd still be interested in your take.

Coworker of mine buys cars at auction a lot. I know nothing about that world but my uncle does the same thing with pretty good luck thus far. Coworker bought some old '99 Volvo turbo something or other wagon. 150k miles but generally pretty clean, runs well etc. etc. $900. Nine hundred dollars for a car. And it doesn't look like a piece of shit.

My uncle bought his current mazda3 at auction too for like 5k and has had it for 4 years with no problems. Bought cars for his kids that way. My coworker started doing this again after he paid off his new Mini S. Mini was always in the shop, he had high payments and after it was out of warranty it really started going south a la "German Engineering" style i.e. expensive as hell so he fixed it, sold it for $15k and started buying auction cars. His words were "fuck having a car payment bro. What is the point? Waste of money". This guy does well for himself too and he's not buying at auction because he's poor, far from it. But he does love cars, won't drive an econobox and likes driving. He's bought a 325i, a C Class and an A4 1.8T this way as well, all for way cheaper than the average citizen.

I started thinking about it and wondering, what is the best option, really? For those who simply MUST have the new car, the new gadgets etc. then obviously, you probably lease, pay through the nose on payments for the rest of your life and forget about it. But for the enthusiast who refuses to buy a Camry or something and is looking to get the most 'value' out of a vehicle that is still sporty and fund to drive, what do YOU think are the best options?

Auction to me has always seemed sketch. You are buying a high mileage car that is probably kind of gross thats been driven and driven. If you are lucky, you get a cheap cheap car that runs for 3 years and, if you are remotely mechanically inclined costs you very little. Worst case, you get something that constantly breaks down etc. that is outdated, depressing..

Im more of a buy newish (a year old or so) and keep for 10 years and then sell privately to get another one. This seems like the cheapest most dependable option to me. I KNOW how the car has been driven and treated, that Ive been anal about maintenance etc. and once its paid off, I can look forward to 5 years of no car payments. The basic basic math breaks down like this for me:

Since my car payment on a 5 year loan is $360 a month, that is 22 grand I'm paying (not counting insurance, interest on loan etc.) over 5 years. If I keep the car another 5 years vs. leasing or buying somethign new, I could hypothetically 'save' that much money, barring any major mechanical failures etc. Thats best case scenario. But if the GTI encounters major problems in that 5 years that say, run me $5000 in repairs, thats still more than $15000 cheaper than having another car payment on a similar car etc. This is why I don't lease. I don't want payments every year of my life, simple as that. I also want a car that I own that is paid off that, if need be, I can sell. Its a depreciating asset, but its an asset nonetheless. Some pay all the cash outright, pay cash for the car and have no payment. This isn't good financial sense in my opinion. I prefer not to dump so much liquid at once into a depreciating asset when I could make my money work for me in the meantime while having a payment for a while..

That brings us to the auction thing or just buying cheaper, used cars. Rhetorically speaking, why do we spend this kind of money just to drive? Seriously. I could buy a fun Mk5 with some miles on it with the FSI engine for like $12k, half what I paid for mine and it will probably treat me alright for a while and still be a blast to drive. But no, I had to have the newer model. I could buy a cheap beater for 5 grand at auction, spend a few grand on mods and drive the shit out of that too for 5 years and not be half as worried about scratching my car or whatever, just drive it like I stole it, save a grip of cash and get another one.

Theres a certain freedom in the cheaper option, no? Is nav or bluetooth or whatever that important? Why do we spend the money we do on these things when we could get decent beaters and possibly drive them care free? I mean we are paying premium prices for cars with average reliability at best, lets face it. Whats the best 'value' option in the long run when driving a Camry or Accord is NOT an option?

Last edited:

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I'm leasing because I had no real money to speak of for a down payment and mediocre credit that failed to get me a worthy purchasing deal on a new car, let alone a used car. It was either lease something I actually like or buy something VERY cheap and pray that nothing breaks on it. I live by myself with few tools, little space, and little free time so the value in leasing is more on the peace of mind and convenience side of things, besides the general niceness of a new GTI vs. some used 1996 piece of crap.

Besides, with the way the current used market seems my $22k GTI will be worth over $15k at the end of my lease. Apparently it is worth $22k even now which makes no sense :lol:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You asked an incredibly loaded question.

1. You bought a new VW with that you get a 5 year 60k mile warranty and free maintenance for 36k miles. You get the piece of mind of having a new car and not having to spend anything on it for 40k miles.
2. Buying used the right way is almost always cheaper, If you buy say a 10 year old civic that was maintained well, you could drive it for 5 years and spend very little on it and sell it for nearly as much as what you paid for it.
3. Buying a used car the wrong way is also commonly done. There are countless threads on this forum where members buy slightly used MK VIs for nearly new pricing. Its simply silly.
4. You get what you paid for. Yes of course you can drive a cheaper car, but with that you will have maintenance, repair headaches, and you will drive a car that someone had before you for years and year. There will be boogers, farts, cum stains blah blah blah.

McQueen77

Banned
cum stains and boogers. nice. which is why i never really go used or auction.

i bought my '10 with 9k miles on it for about $3500 less than an identical new one they had on the lot, same year. The car was immaculate w/9k miles on it, no boogers or blood or fingernails or whatever and came with the extra 24k warranty that the new ones don't have. i basically got it 'new' and didn't take the depreciation hit you do new with a better warranty than you get new. but yes, some people are foolish w/cpo deals. some say its a 'waste' to buy CPO but I disagree. Just the other day the dealer replaced my sagging and worn hood insulation/liner. I was told that it was covered under my certified bumper to bumper extended warranty and that since Id passed 2 years on the car, they would have charged me $300 parts and labor. Bs or not, sounded good to me.

That being said, I'm not really 'asking what "I" should do" since Im fine with my choice, but am more interested to hear people's viewpoints on the cost to 'value' question. To me, its 'worth it' for my GTI but I'm interested to hear people's viewpoints. For example, Bimmer loyalist make up 3 camps: 1 group says "buy luxury cars that are 3 years old always", avoid the massive depreciation hit and take advantage of BMW's 100k CPO warranty program. 2nd group says "never buy a luxury car, ONLY lease them. too much hassle/headache out of warranty etc." and group 3 says "I only buy old e90s pre-2003 or whatever because they are less complicated and more reliable than the new ones.

MaxTDI: So your answer then is Buy New and Hold?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
cum stains and boogers. nice. which is why i never really go used or auction.

i bought my '10 with 9k miles on it for about $3500 less than an identical new one they had on the lot, same year. The car was immaculate w/9k miles on it, no boogers or blood or fingernails or whatever and came with the extra 24k warranty that the new ones don't have. i basically got it 'new' and didn't take the depreciation hit you do new with a better warranty than you get new. but yes, some people are foolish w/cpo deals. some say its a 'waste' to buy CPO but I disagree. Just the other day the dealer replaced my sagging and worn hood insulation/liner. I was told that it was covered under my certified bumper to bumper extended warranty and that since Id passed 2 years on the car, they would have charged me $300 parts and labor. Bs or not, sounded good to me.

That being said, I'm not really 'asking what "I" should do" since Im fine with my choice, but am more interested to hear people's viewpoints on the cost to 'value' question. To me, its 'worth it' for my GTI but I'm interested to hear people's viewpoints. For example, Bimmer loyalist make up 3 camps: 1 group says "buy luxury cars that are 3 years old always", avoid the massive depreciation hit and take advantage of BMW's 100k CPO warranty program. 2nd group says "never buy a luxury car, ONLY lease them. too much hassle/headache out of warranty etc." and group 3 says "I only buy old e90s pre-2003 or whatever because they are less complicated and more reliable than the new ones.

MaxTDI: So your answer then is Buy New and Hold?

Well that depends on the type of car. IMO For most ppl a negotiated deal on a new MK VI TDI/GTI/GOLF will be superior to used CPO. But there are always exceptions.

The used luxury market you mentioned (BMW etc) has really gotten out of control lately with values being really hard to come by also.

It depends on the budget and what car one actually desires.

IMO the cheapest way to go is to buy a NEW civic/Corolla and drive it till the wheels fall off 300k miles+. That will ensure the least headaches over time.

If one wants to get into a car RIGHT NOW and has little cash, a used japanese econobox at about 10 years old with a good maintenance history is hard to beat. But there also some Chevy Cobalts/Ford Focii? that are good values for right around 5-7 with relatively low miles and most of the depreciation gone.

McQueen77

Banned
yes, all pretty much right on for money/value. buy a new accord and drive it until 2090 BUT what of the enthusiast who wants value? that gets trickier. like you, if you didn't give a shit about cars, you would have gotten the Prius like everyother fuckface in my neighborhood with a Prius and Apple and Obama/hope sticker. But you like cars/driving, have a corvette and wanted something efficient/nice/fun to drive so you got a TDI. getting used 'fun' cars are harder because they will NEVER be as reliable as 'appliance' cars.

So I guess its safe to say that if you want something old/cheap and 'fun' or sporty or most of all, German, you better know how to wrench on it yourself.. every. other. godamn. weekend. Then again, back on my Bimmer enthusiast comment, I know a guy who has owned a few late 90s/early 2000s Bimmers 3 series and he swears by their reliability. He got 200k out of his last 325i that he bought w/90k miles on it. Said it never even hiccup'd

I, being value minded and tend to fall in love with my cars moreso as they age (up to a point), I do wonder about the GTI in long term sense. I cant help but think it will be an expensive relationship to keep longterm..

Thumper

Autocross Champion
There will be boogers, farts, cum stains blah blah blah.

cum stains.......awesome........LOL

I'll answer the rhetorical question.....can't help much on the main one. I don't look at cars as investments or care about minimizing my "cost" on them. Cars are toys, bottomline. No different than any other hobby for me. I know what I want, and I get the best deal I can and make my budget go as far as possible.

Theres a certain freedom in the cheaper option, no? Is nav or bluetooth or whatever that important? Why do we spend the money we do on these things when we could get decent beaters and possibly drive them care free?

Because life is too short to spend that much time in a shitbox? I've driven beaters with no features and old owner smell. It's called High school and college. I like being comfortable, I like having features that make being in the car more enjoyable, especially on long trips. We went out to the coast last weekend, 4+ hour drive. Barely noticed in the GTI......I think I would have killed myself if I had to do it in a 10 year old Civic or Corolla. No, I KNOW I would have killed myself. LOL

BTW, in regards to the auction deals. Did you ever see the episode of Top Gear where they bought cars for 100 pounds? Season 4 episode 3.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yea given the issues on the older VW/Audi cars I would probably stay away from anything with a turbo. The VR6s seem to be a bit better.

In terms of other cars...

The C5 vette is an increadible value right now at under 20k. But its a very impractical car, I was only 22 when I bought mine so I didn't think that far ahead. Now at 27 I keep wishing I went with an E46 M3 instead...

S2000s suffer from the same issue as the Vette and they have a terribly small gas tank that you have to fill up every 200-230 miles. Matter of fact they are even less practical than the vette inside.

an older E36 M3 is a good value if one can find it in abused form for about 10k, The engines/transmissions will last 300k miles

the E39 M5s are great values at 20k but have terrible carbon build up issues that require an engine tear down by 100k. Which may have something to do with them being this cheap.

Older S4s are maintenance nightmares... timing belts, turbos crapping out etc etc.

A slowmaro with an LS1 makes for a good enthusiast car and is dirt cheap also. But that will no fly on these forums ;)

An older S430 makes is an increadible value especially if maintained. You get amazing luxury for 15k. Anything with the 500 badge will have that horrid ABC system that is very expensive to fix (active body control, hydrolic shocks etc)

E46s non Ms are dropping in price as of late... and are still pretty solid minus the sub-frame issues of the 99-01s cars. I think picking a manual Sport E46 330i coupe would be a great buy for an enthusiast.

I think that's my short list for now.

toddnick

Passed Driver's Ed
If your are interested in a car like the GTI, new.....

The best value by far is to buy the car (after negotiating to a good price)....I've leased before but only when I didn't have the cash to buy....there is a reason why people in that situation lease but there is also a reason why this option is made available to those in bad cash positions...you will lose money overall....

I'm guessing that at about 3 years (I financed for 5 years at 1.9%) I break even and after that I continue to make a profit vs. leasing....

After 5 years I'll have a $13,000 car value with no debt.....well worth the additional $6,500 dollars that I'll spend in higher payments buying vs. leasing....

Also, if you drive a lot of miles....leasing is a disaster....the mileage charges will kill you....

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
My plan is to ignore the mileage on the lease and just buy the car at the end, then sell it myself. If the current used car market holds up I'll make a few grand and have an overall cost of roughly $250/month over the 3 years without ever having to put money down. Seems like a good deal to me.

McQueen77

Banned
If your are interested in a car like the GTI, new.....

The best value by far is to buy the car (after negotiating to a good price)....I've leased before but only when I didn't have the cash to buy....there is a reason why people in that situation lease but there is also a reason why this option is made available to those in bad cash positions...you will lose money overall....

I'm guessing that at about 3 years (I financed for 5 years at 1.9%) I break even and after that I continue to make a profit vs. leasing....

After 5 years I'll have a $13,000 car value with no debt.....well worth the additional $6,500 dollars that I'll spend in higher payments buying vs. leasing....

Also, if you drive a lot of miles....leasing is a disaster....the mileage charges will kill you....

I agree with all of this.
Because life is too short to spend that much time in a shitbox? I've driven beaters with no features and old owner smell. It's called High school and college. I like being comfortable, I like having features that make being in the car more enjoyable, especially on long trips.

and this. especially the bolded part. my wife is still rolling in the same pontiac Vibe she bought new 9 years ago and she will not get rid of it. i hate that fucking car. i hate it. it was fine new and served us well for about 5 years but it started falling apart. mechanically it is perfect. ZERO problems. but build, body, etc. just dogshit. ive contemplated having the russians steal it and claim the insurance money. but she will not get rid of it. she's like "do we really want another car payment on top of your car payment, trying to save for a house etc." i keep praying some huge engine failure happens so she has to buy a new car.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
tldr

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I like this thread. I just sold my 2010 GTI and I am considering buying a used car this time around. I buy a brand new car every 2 years. Been doing that for the past 12 years. This time I am considering buying a slightly used car (under 15,000 miles). I see cars that cost $30,000 new....selling for $20,000 with only 12,000 miles........I see cars that cost over $40,000 new, selling for $26,000 with 15,000 miles...etc

I put over 20,000 miles on my car in a year. So 12,000 miles to me ain't shit.....that's still a new car to me. There is still warranty etc.

I think this might be the best value.....buying a slightly used vehicle. Just might be the best bang for your buck

I am going to try it this time.

I think.

There is still a slight (50%) chance that I will buy a new 2012 Autobahn tomorrow. I'm retarded.

Please kill me before my wife does.

Last edited: