GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS vs OBD 11

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
I have been trying to find more info on the OBD11. Would anyone pick it over the VCDS? It doesnt seem like it does quite as much but it does look easier. Anyone have experience with both or any reason why i would really want the VCDS over the OBD11?

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
OBD11 seems like its a much more user-friendly boiled down version of a handheld scan tool that also has some presets to change/monitor things around in your car.

VAGCom is a full fledged dealership level diagnostic software. In a lot of ways, 75% of what VAGCom does is not needed by the average forum member; but the one day you need it you will be very happy you have it. I've used my VAGCom cable probably 12 or so times in 8 years with the car and every time its been a life saver. Even my mechanic asks me to answer a few questions with a scan sometimes since he knows I have it and he can help me without my car needing to take space up in his shop

The one cool thing about OBD11 is its powered off a cellphone, i've tried using a USB A-> USB C adapter but never got the VCDS cable to work with any apps on my phone. I'm not crazy on how OBD11 already charges for their hardware and then goes and tacks a pro version onto their software as well...in addition to their 'credits' you have to/can purchase in their app. As an IT guy, I've been there and done that with all software business models before - I like to stay away from any apps that run that business model. After you've paid for the hardware and have all the apps set up, they can push a single update moving features behind the pay wall and if you end up wanting one of those features you are now stuck paying for the pro license. I'm not saying they will do this; but we can also assume most new and exciting features will be behind that pay wall as well.

With VAGCom you are getting full access to everything without any surprises and their is almost an infinite amount of documentation out there about how it all works already.

people get intimidated by the VCDS software, but I've never had a question that wasn't answered clear as day in their documentation:
https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.php

between that and a few youtube videos you can literally make money charging others to code out bulb errors and stuff in their cars.

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
OBD11 seems like its a much more user-friendly boiled down version of a handheld scan tool that also has some presets to change/monitor things around in your car.

VAGCom is a full fledged dealership level diagnostic software. In a lot of ways, 75% of what VAGCom does is not needed by the average forum member; but the one day you need it you will be very happy you have it. I've used my VAGCom cable probably 12 or so times in 8 years with the car and every time its been a life saver. Even my mechanic asks me to answer a few questions with a scan sometimes since he knows I have it and he can help me without my car needing to take space up in his shop

The one cool thing about OBD11 is its powered off a cellphone, i've tried using a USB A-> USB C adapter but never got the VCDS cable to work with any apps on my phone. I'm not crazy on how OBD11 already charges for their hardware and then goes and tacks a pro version onto their software as well...in addition to their 'credits' you have to/can purchase in their app. As an IT guy, I've been there and done that with all software business models before - I like to stay away from any apps that run that business model. After you've paid for the hardware and have all the apps set up, they can push a single update moving features behind the pay wall and if you end up wanting one of those features you are now stuck paying for the pro license. I'm not saying they will do this; but we can also assume most new and exciting features will be behind that pay wall as well.

With VAGCom you are getting full access to everything without any surprises and their is almost an infinite amount of documentation out there about how it all works already.

people get intimidated by the VCDS software, but I've never had a question that wasn't answered clear as day in their documentation:
https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.php

between that and a few youtube videos you can literally make money charging others to code out bulb errors and stuff in their cars.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have been very pleased with OBD11. I have done coding and data logging with it. It can be more cumbersome then VagCom because it’s on a phone but they do the same thing. A lot of the VagCom info transfers over to OBD11. OBD11 is unlimited and they have it for iOS now. I’d buy a used RossTech Cable over a new one if it were me. It was still cheaper for me to buy OBD11 and a cheap android phone then to buy a used RossTech cable.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion

I like my OBDeleven, but I also hate that business/support model. I do have a pro license, but with the next gen module out, I have this fear in the back of my mind they'll stop supporting the "classic" version at some point, and I'll have a bricked piece of hardware that's perfectly good and already paid for. If/when that happens, I'm not gonna play their game and buy a next gen, I'll just buy a real VCDS and be set from then on.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, upon further review it seems the new line of Rosstech VCDS Cables are limited to 3 or 10 vins unless you purchase a "professional" kit.

In that case I would certainly be looking into a knock off VCDS cable, i'm sure there are good ones at this point. If not, something like Carista or OBD11 are other options still. There are lots of OBD2 bluetooth tools, question is which apps have a decent UI and can actually get any coding done without charging a bunch of fees.

Definitely can't be as hardcore a Rosstech fan after seeing them limit the number of VINs a cable can be used on like that. Such an unnecessary paywall. As far as I know the cable I purchased years ago was unlimited VINs and I think I've used it on about 4 cars so far and have preached the benefits for years. I guess they thought snuffing out the VCDS Locator threads would make them a noticeable amount of money?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yes Rosstech's new pricing made the OBD11 choice easier also. I bought a used Android phone and the price with OBD11 was about $110. A used unlimited Rosstech cable goes for around $200 last time I was shopping for one.

Carista is very, very limited. Only really good for disabling the honk on unlock, gauge sweep and control windows with fob.