GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VLand Sequential LED tail lights

kaahdoc

Did you remove the entire panel from the rear hatch to run the wires? Or were you able to fish the wire through with a coat hanger or something while prying back the panel a little bit? I hated removing that panel when I did the RVC so want to avoid doing it again.

How is the fit and finish of the lights compared to your OEM lights? I also don't have the rear fog light switch so I would re-wire it so that they are reverse lights like jhstl did above.

I did indeed remove the entire rear panel. Interior trunk trim completely out, and then also I got behind the black panel where the seatbelts kinda come off of (just undid the screws towards the back of the car to pull it back a bit, thing where your trunk light is mounted on one side). You do hae to pull some of the narrow interior trunk trim to get at a screw holding that black piece in, but just partially pull on it at the top where it meets that piece and it comes right out easy. Once those are partially out, I pulled the gray/white trim out on the sides of the trunk as well towards the rear only, this allowed me to pull the wire from the rear of the light up towards the grommet in the trunk with relative ease.

I used some 3D printing filament since we have printers here, but normally would have used a coathanger, to fish the wire through the grommet. Figured out you could pop the connector free from the wires, this leaves more room in the grommet to pull the wires through. Grommet should also be squeezed together as much as possible to shorten it and get the most space in there for the wires.

After that its just tucking everything back in. I honestly don't know if you could get that wire through the trunk without removing the back trim, especially where it gets thin around the glass. This is why I chose to just pull it all out to make it easier to maneuver through the tight spaces.

I read about fitment issues but these went in with a breeze once everything was lined up. There is a slight gap between my trunk lid and the outer tails, but I do have my trunk hatch pistons reversed to pop my trunk open when I hold the open trunk on my key, the pistons reversed puts more "open" pressure on the trunk so it is likely that that is causing the gap, and not the lights themselves.

Have not taken it through any washes yet since I just washed it before these went in, but I did check out the seal between the lenses and the housing and it all was glued/melted together well. The area I would be concerned about is the padded areas on the back of the lights where the wires run though (you'll see what I mean when you pull the tails), but I think as long as its lined up properly it should be fine. I'll update once I wash it and see if anything changes.

Also, you are not able to see these tails from the side at all at night, they don't broadcast light around the edge of the back of the car like the OEMs do. NOt sure if tails need this in the US but it caught me off guard while checking it out at night.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Worst part was getting the trunk lining back in, the edges where it meets the other smaller narrow trim piece need to pop in correctly or else it won't work. Used some brute force before brains and bent the plastic but I got it to fit back ok after I played with it a bit.

Last edited:

audiohs

Passed Driver's Ed
I did indeed remove the entire rear panel. Interior trunk trim completely out, and then also I got behind the black panel where the seatbelts kinda come off of (just undid the screws towards the back of the car to pull it back a bit, thing where your trunk light is mounted on one side). You do hae to pull some of the narrow interior trunk trim to get at a screw holding that black piece in, but just partially pull on it at the top where it meets that piece and it comes right out easy. Once those are partially out, I pulled the gray/white trim out on the sides of the trunk as well towards the rear only, this allowed me to pull the wire from the rear of the light up towards the grommet in the trunk with relative ease.

I used some 3D printing filament since we have printers here, but normally would have used a coathanger, to fish the wire through the grommet. Figured out you could pop the connector free from the wires, this leaves more room in the grommet to pull the wires through. Grommet should also be squeezed together as much as possible to shorten it and get the most space in there for the wires.

After that its just tucking everything back in. I honestly don't know if you could get that wire through the trunk without removing the back trim, especially where it gets thin around the glass. This is why I chose to just pull it all out to make it easier to maneuver through the tight spaces.

I read about fitment issues but these went in with a breeze once everything was lined up. There is a slight gap between my trunk lid and the outer tails, but I do have my trunk hatch pistons reversed to pop my trunk open when I hold the open trunk on my key, the pistons reversed puts more "open" pressure on the trunk so it is likely that that is causing the gap, and not the lights themselves.

Have not taken it through any washes yet since I just washed it before these went in, but I did check out the seal between the lenses and the housing and it all was glued/melted together well. The area I would be concerned about is the padded areas on the back of the lights where the wires run though (you'll see what I mean when you pull the tails), but I think as long as its lined up properly it should be fine. I'll update once I wash it and see if anything changes.

Also, you are not able to see these tails from the side at all at night, they don't broadcast light around the edge of the back of the car like the OEMs do. NOt sure if tails need this in the US but it caught me off guard while checking it out at night.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Worst part was getting the trunk lining back in, the edges where it meets the other smaller narrow trim piece need to pop in correctly or else it won't work. Used some brute force before brains and bent the plastic but I got it to fit back ok after I played with it a bit.
Cool. Thanks for the details. I remember breaking a clip or two trying to take the panel off. I've got a wire fisher and trim removal tools so thought maybe I can get away with it. Anyway, we'll see. I haven't ordered the lights yet but it's something that I'm seriously considering. I'll keep an eye for your update.

kaahdoc

Cool. Thanks for the details. I remember breaking a clip or two trying to take the panel off. I've got a wire fisher and trim removal tools so thought maybe I can get away with it. Anyway, we'll see. I haven't ordered the lights yet but it's something that I'm seriously considering. I'll keep an eye for your update.

No problem! I didn't have any trim removal tools.. just wrapped tape around a thin paint scraper and a hand held file for longer prying, also wrapped in tape haha. Worked like a charm. I didn't break any clips. but a few times the clip won't detach from the interior mounting point, but those metal clips slide out of the part you're taking off usually and just get stuck in the mounting point, and can be taken out with a pair of needle nose and slid back into the plastic clip on the trim.

Overall, great mod, definitely recommended. My buddy who recently picked up a MK6 R will be installing these in the next few weeks as well so I'll be helping him out with that.

Installing sequential Mirror housings and my puddle lights in the mirror tonight! Next are the same puddle lights with the logo you have, just waiting on some wires and clips to come in to wire everything up.

I'll update this once I get some water on it or if I have any other issues.

HotLikeSauce

Passed Driver's Ed
So went through the painful install process today. For anyone who attempts to do this in the future, just follow the instructions on this Youtube video. It would have saved me probably close to 2 hours just knowing which screws to undo and where all the clips are to get under the trim and run the wire for sequential turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DAfnh4ZtaQ

Looks amazing. Can't believe I waited this long.

jkremer142

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone running the new sequential version of the LED taillights by VLand? I just got their headlights installed a few weeks ago and I was so impressed by them that I bought a set of the sequential LED tail lights as well.

I was expecting a simple 5 minute install but it looks like you need to run a wire between the outer and inner tail lights (through the grommet in the hatch and behind the trim) in order for the sequential function to work correctly. Well it's a little cold out here to mess with that, but I was wondering if anyone has them and has any installation tips for running the wire between the inner and outer tails?

Here was the auction I got them from, for $229. I received them quickly. Would recommend this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-14-VW-M...h=item5d83b8b8d1:g:Z5UAAOSwVYhb9fTD:rk:7:pf:0
I purchased the headlights too but they were not plug and play. I only got highbeams and turn signals, no drl or low beams. Did you code it or add a trigger wire or anything?

Coogie

Ready to race!
This exact model I got is here with no mention of dark cherry or smoked or whatever else you may be concerned about.
Wiring them can be a pain, I used ton of WD-40 and a wire hanger to snake the wire up through the hatch boot grommet to wire the taillights together. I have some pictures on my build thread.
After struggling, I got it through the grommet by removing the connector from wires and using a strong straw. Stuck straw through then put wire through it.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
I did switch up the wiring on the drivers side tail so that it has a reverse light on both sides instead of a rear fog on the drivers side. All you need to do is switch the brown wire with the white wire in the drivers side tail light socket.

Can you provide a little more info for what you did to have double reverse lights?

In process of installing these on my car and I think I'd prefer the double reverse to single reverse and a fog on other side. Thanks.

wlu

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you provide a little more info for what you did to have double reverse lights?

In process of installing these on my car and I think I'd prefer the double reverse to single reverse and a fog on other side. Thanks.

I would also love more information on how he was able to double reverse light. I don't think I'd like the look of single reverse and a random rear red fog light.If he switches the wires up, doesn't that driver side just light up RED instead of WHITE? Unless you swapped the wires as well as swapped the bulbs? Sorry if I sound stupid, would just love to see if anyone knows or to clear up the confusion.