GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW 4motion? can we get an AWD car?

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
So my GTI is in the shop and I got a Passat loaner. I'm pleasantly surprised with the car, it's very quiet on the inside. It's not a mercedes, but for the price point, it does it's job fairly well. As I look for a new car for my wife, I want to get her a sedan with AWD. The only option VW makes is the CC Executive at $41k. If they made a Jetta or Passat in AWD, I think that would be a home run.
I know the first thought is get an A4. While I love the design of Audi, every single person that I've known that has owned an Audi has had issues with the car. I had a buddy with an s4 that would have the sunroof open randomly. My sister just bought a cpo'd a4 with 15,000 miles on it that is being taken back by audi of america because it has 3-4 issues. I could keep going but you get the point, I'm not in the market for an audi.

So why can't VW make an AWD sedan? I'd have no problem spending $30-$35k on a Jetta/Passat with AWD

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
So my GTI is in the shop and I got a Passat loaner. I'm pleasantly surprised with the car, it's very quiet on the inside. It's not a mercedes, but for the price point, it does it's job fairly well. As I look for a new car for my wife, I want to get her a sedan with AWD. The only option VW makes is the CC Executive at $41k. If they made a Jetta or Passat in AWD, I think that would be a home run.
I know the first thought is get an A4. While I love the design of Audi, every single person that I've known that has owned an Audi has had issues with the car. I had a buddy with an s4 that would have the sunroof open randomly. My sister just bought a cpo'd a4 with 15,000 miles on it that is being taken back by audi of america because it has 3-4 issues. I could keep going but you get the point, I'm not in the market for an audi.

So why can't VW make an AWD sedan? I'd have no problem spending $30-$35k on a Jetta/Passat with AWD

They can, they just choose not to because while you have no problem spending 30-35k on a Jetta/Passat with 4Motion, the majority of the potential buyers would.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
^^^ $30-35k with 4 motion would be a full loaded GLI with nav, the absolute top of the line offering. They could offer an SE or SEL with 4motion in the $24-26k range, even at $28k I'd be shocked that it wouldn't draw interest.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
because no market
because fuel economy
because Audi

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
You wouldn't be able to get awd on the regular Jetta cause of the beam rear suspension. You'd have to build it with a gli spec irs which I'm sure would add $2-3k to the price.

CatButt

I would love a JSW TDI 4Motion...would put Subaru out of business (kidding, but would sure hurt them) and not compete with Audi.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Get a Tiguan, shorter than a Jetta, drives like a car, mods like a GTI.

McQueen77

Banned

In hindsight, knowing everything i know now, i would have gotten one. Drives like a car but way more rugged than a gti, same engine, same mods, etc. regret not getting that car

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
The 4motion system is much better than the Haldex IMO.

Personally I would buy a AWD Passat type vehicle, but honestly why not just go with a company who does AWD so well (aka Subaru)?

4motion is haldex (save in the b5 passat). 4motion is VW's trademark for AWD, like Quattro is Audi's trademark for AWD. All VW/Audis with transverse mounted engines use Haldex AWD systems: A3, TT, Q3, Passat b6, golf r, tiguan, etc). Whereas all VW/Audi cars that have longitudinally mounted engines use Torsen AWD systems: passat b5, A4, A5, A6, A8 etc.

Basically Haldex is part time awd and torsen is full time awd.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
I would love a JSW TDI 4Motion...would put Subaru out of business (kidding, but would sure hurt them) and not compete with Audi.

Passat 4 AllTrak. :drool:

From last month in Germany. TDI no less.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

+1, It sounds like your wife wants a sedan... So just wrap a really big red bow around it and ignore what she wants....then add K04:thumbup: