GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Vortex Premium?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I'm not usually on that site but i venture over occasionally. I've noticed the page is all revamped and then i saw something that caught my eye.

They offer a premium content for only 19.99/yr?? o_O

I'm not slaggin their site but seriously.....anyone here sign up for it? Is it worth it??

Thumper

Autocross Champion
ClubTouareg has that too, no idea what it offers or what it does.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
If it's not OnlyFans Idgaf

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Yea, I saw that too. I've been on the Vortex since they started, I don't know how much of a 'premium' anything they could be offering or what it involves besides giving them 19.99. Vortex has gone pretty quiet in the last few years, and folks over there are a lot more snobby and snippish than folks on here. I don't go there much anymore.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I check the classifieds at vwv every couple weeks but otherwise don't go there.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Vortex has gone pretty quiet in the last few years, and folks over there are a lot more snobby and snippish than folks on here. I don't go there much anymore.

There is a SLIGHTLY more active R section there so I have to hang out there and there are still some good eggs but yeah, lots of salt and not a ton of conversation. At least not in the forums for anything I own LOL

Here's what it says if you click on it;

Reduced-Ad Experience
Enjoy a reduced-ad experience while supporting the community

Never notice any ads...........oh, right, I have a free ad blocker. :p

Access to Premium Forums
Exclusive access to premium-only discussions

Um, ok.......there's a secret VIP area? lol Having BBS flashbacks from the 90s......what do they talk about? How do we know we want to have access to something we know nothing about? ;)

Exclusive Premium Badge
Stand out with a premium badge on your profile

Really? Can I get a free Pokemon too?

Unlock Focused Reading Mode
Switch off the right column so you can focus on reading

Ok, now they're just being ridiculous.

Seems a bit steep for $20.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
There is a SLIGHTLY more active R section there so I have to hang out there and there are still some good eggs but yeah, lots of salt and not a ton of conversation. At least not in the forums for anything I own LOL

Here's what it says if you click on it;

Reduced-Ad Experience
Enjoy a reduced-ad experience while supporting the community

Never notice any ads...........oh, right, I have a free ad blocker. :p

Access to Premium Forums
Exclusive access to premium-only discussions

Um, ok.......there's a secret VIP area? lol Having BBS flashbacks from the 90s......what do they talk about? How do we know we want to have access to something we know nothing about? ;)

Exclusive Premium Badge
Stand out with a premium badge on your profile

Really? Can I get a free Pokemon too?

Unlock Focused Reading Mode
Switch off the right column so you can focus on reading

Ok, now they're just being ridiculous.

Seems a bit steep for $20.

Ah, it's good someone looked a bit deeper into the offerings, lots of fluff of nothing. Thanks Thumper. I think their most active forum is the Car Lounge but the cliques in there make it hard to offer comment and/or suggestions before they blow you off as 'not one of them.'

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The Car Lounge is the worst cliquest shit ever. It's like 10 posters who all go back 15 years and they just despise and run anyone new out. Really bad forum

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
vortex was never that good IMO ... it always had that "corporate" feel to it... always overan with moderator nazis, almost as bad as reddit .... then again i came from jwelty.com.....

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
vortex was never that good IMO ... it always had that "corporate" feel to it... always overan with moderator nazis, almost as bad as reddit .... then again i came from jwelty.com.....
I dont know how old you are but vortex THE place for DIYs and technical info back in the late 90s early 2000s. The engine tehcnical subforums were excellent and really helped me learn a lot about the rare engine i had at the time (24v VR6).

Of course it is different now but back then it was pretty good i think

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I dont know how old you are but vortex THE place for DIYs and technical info back in the late 90s early 2000s. The engine tehcnical subforums were excellent and really helped me learn a lot about the rare engine i had at the time (24v VR6).

old enough to remember how much pictures slowed down pages loading. haha.

but really, yeah, vortex had a lot of good stuff, but that was due to the number of members.... but there were always side forums (non vortex) that were better like jwelty (aka vwfixx aka urotuning) in regards to being laid back and solid technical feedback ... I had a number of mk2 DIY writeups that got plagarized onto other forums/blogs... which i took as a compliment. haha

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
looking back i think vortex was more heavy on mk3 and mk4 when it first came out... i was in mk2, and it seemed mk2 and mk1 had their own non vortex forums already running, so no need to move to vortex.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion

Yeah, def agree JoeMama. I joined Vortex back in 2000, I think it had just started up the previous year. Guys I knew in VW sales/ service depts all urged me to check it out. I had one of the first new MK4's at the time. I learned a hell of a lot in those days, tons of smart helpful guys, good suggestions, DIY's. And of course when the great coilpack debacle hit, the MK4 forums were the place to be. I think that still has the most postings ever, of all those forums. When Vortex got sold, they ''lost'' me, so I had to sign up again. It happened to a lot of people, some of them very post-number conscious who bitched a blue streak. I just wanted to keep my user name but, no. It was never the same, though, as the original Vortex.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I dont know how old you are but vortex THE place for DIYs and technical info back in the late 90s early 2000s.

Same. I never would have been able to do my VR swap, cams and timing chains in my Mk2 GTI without the technical forums. But don't forget, it was also home to gems like these.....

Last edited: