GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR or H&R

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Im debating changing my current set up, which is Koni yellow+ h&r SS. been looking and researching for a few weeks now and Looking to go with the VWR. At first i love the drop i got from the supersport and the ride quality is debatable (CA roads) and at times it feel a little bouncy, I have my front set at 1 1/4 turn from soft and 1 turn from stiff in the rear. Now im only 22 and im sure most 22 year old doesnt care about ride quality and just slammed their car and say go for coils and i may be wrong lol. I think i want to go with linear springs this time and not have to worry about scraping my front bumper or my UB. Has anyone went form H&R SS to VWR?
like like to hear your impressions.
Thank, :thumbsup:

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I rode in cars with H&R SS and it is a little rough for me, compared to my DG springs. VWR will be slightly lower than DG, but I think the comfort level is pretty comparable. I am curious to know about your impressions on the Koni yellows though. I'm have the Koni orange with my DG's and while they were good at first, after a couple years, I find them to be a little too soft. I was thinking of switching to Koni yellows or Bilstein B8 with my DG's. Are you implying that your ride is too bouncy due to the SS or the Yellows? thanks.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Yeah the ride can be rought at times, on smoth roads they ride pretty good, i also had the Koni orange first, which i bought used along with the SS. And same here they were soft too, which is why i went with the yellows. And i right after i could of felt the difference. This is my first car i started modded, so im no suspension expert. But having messed with they dampning rate you can really feel the suspension tightening up around corners. I’ve had the rears set to 1/2 from still and front 1 turn front stiff and it was too much, tried it ar rear- 1 turn from soft same for the front they were too soft. Long story short i ended at 1 turn from full still in the rears and front I adjusted between 1/2- 1 1/4.
Maybe bouncy wasn’t the term I should used. More like feeling every littler imperfection on the road surface. Wasn’t as bad as before due to new tires ( indy 500).

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I think 1/2 turn from stiff in the rear might be too much. I was planning on going 1 turn from soft in the rear and maybe 1.5 turn from soft in the front and just adjust the front as needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
from what I read most people run the rear stiffer. the Bilstein too i heard was a good combo with the DG springs and you don't have to worry about finding the right setting with the koni yellow. I too my dial down the rear because I just installed a 25mm rear sway bar, idk if that would change much. I also have bought the powerflex anit lift kit, haven't got around to install it yet, maybe that helps with my ride quality. im only replacing them because my OEM rubber one looks like there cracking. @108k and the previous owner took the car over to germany

mirchandise

Passed Driver's Ed
Hate bringing an old thread up from the grave, but what did you end up going with OP? I'm in the same boat, H&R SS with Koni Yellows - finding it too bouncy and harsh. I suspect its the springs but I'm not sure what to switch to.

autonoob

Passed Driver's Ed
Hate bringing an old thread up from the grave, but what did you end up going with OP? I'm in the same boat, H&R SS with Koni Yellows - finding it too bouncy and harsh. I suspect its the springs but I'm not sure what to switch to.

I can't comment on the VWR, but the H&R ride pretty damn good. Definitely stiffer than stock, but overall pretty comfortable. Definitely flatter in the curves.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Super old, but been through a few setups after that and now i came back to the koni yellows paired with VW Driver Gear springs for (MT) im 4door dsg

mirchandise

Passed Driver's Ed
Super old, but been through a few setups after that and now i came back to the koni yellows paired with VW Driver Gear springs for (MT) im 4door dsg

Thanks for responding. How do you like the driver gears compared to the SuperSports on the Koni yellows? What other setups did you try?

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Thanks for responding. How do you like the driver gears compared to the SuperSports on the Koni yellows? What other setups did you try?

i like them alot, i do wish i went with the 4door dsg spring. My area have bad roads and being low got old. After that first setup i went with koni coilovers(swapped the springs with hyperco/eiback esr linear springs) that was great wished i kept that. Then swapped back to original koni springs and they were comfy but i needed cash at the time so i sold it. After i went with autotech mono tube shocks with DG. Smooth roads were good but anything other than that was too stiff so i swapped the dg springs with the oem springs and didn't felt a change. So I pulled the autotech out and bought koni yellows and threw the DG on. And been happy, like i said wished i went with the dsg version and not the MT version.

mirchandise

Passed Driver's Ed
i like them alot, i do wish i went with the 4door dsg spring. My area have bad roads and being low got old. After that first setup i went with koni coilovers(swapped the springs with hyperco/eiback esr linear springs) that was great wished i kept that. Then swapped back to original koni springs and they were comfy but i needed cash at the time so i sold it. After i went with autotech mono tube shocks with DG. Smooth roads were good but anything other than that was too stiff so i swapped the dg springs with the oem springs and didn't felt a change. So I pulled the autotech out and bought koni yellows and threw the DG on. And been happy, like i said wished i went with the dsg version and not the MT version.
Cool, thanks for the insight. I'm really torn on what to do. I like the height of the SuperSports, but I've gotten tired of the harshness of the ride over the past 5/6 years of having them. Did you ever try the VWR springs on the Koni Yellows?