GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR springs on the 2.5L?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Chris, its been a while Bud. The GTI guys run the VWR Springs, they should perform pretty mush the same on the 2.5. The only negative I've read is that they develop a break/crack after a while and have to be replaced.

To be honest since you already have the GTI/TDI springs all you really need is the Hotchkis 27mm rear sway bar, set at the softest setting. Unless you install a 27mm front bar I wouldn't go to a stiffer setting. You will not be disappointed, my Son or I wouldn't consider driving any MK6 Golf/GTI without at least the Hotchkis 27mm rear sway bar, for tracking adding the 27mm front bar is recommended.

Cheers

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I sold my 2.5L with the GTI suspension and have a new 2.5L that I am setting up. I wanted this golf to sit a little lower than the old one but not much and didn't want to make the setup too aggressive as this is my daily driver and roads are harsh, and getting harsher, in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for the heads up on the cracking issue.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Congrats on the new 2.5!

Ya I get it, everyone wants a lower stance. I'll still recommend installing the RSB and go from there.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I have the rear swaybar already as well but I didn't want to go as big as a 27mm. I am going with a 25mm rear sway bar leaving the front stock initially. If I am not happy with it I will do the front and may bump them both to 27mm. We'll see. I already got B4's and VWR springs. I kept my wheels and tires. I am not going to be doing any track days so this should be a step up from my old GTI setup which I was pretty happy with but sold with the car. I'm running stock right now and it is terrible. I already did IE stage 1 and the DSG tune so the suspension is a must. VWR are less than an inch drop compared to my old car and supposedly not too harsh which is why I went that route.

Going down to San Diego today to help a friend install a new thermostat on his 2.5L jetta so the suspension install will have to wait till next weekend.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Chris, its been a while Bud. The GTI guys run the VWR Springs, they should perform pretty mush the same on the 2.5. The only negative I've read is that they develop a break/crack after a while and have to be replaced.

To be honest since you already have the GTI/TDI springs all you really need is the Hotchkis 27mm rear sway bar, set at the softest setting. Unless you install a 27mm front bar I wouldn't go to a stiffer setting. You will not be disappointed, my Son or I wouldn't consider driving any MK6 Golf/GTI without at least the Hotchkis 27mm rear sway bar, for tracking adding the 27mm front bar is recommended.

Cheers
Well made the arrangements to put the Neuspeed 25mm front sway bar on today. The car needs the front I am afraid. It's not the same without it. The bar is backordered for a month so now we wait.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Well made the arrangements to put the Neuspeed 25mm front sway bar on today. The car needs the front I am afraid. It's not the same without it. The bar is backordered for a month so now we wait.
(y)what ever works for you.
FYI The Hotchkis 27mm is hollow the effective spring rate of the bar is supposed to be about equal to a 24/25mm solid bar but if you compare them the solid bar is a lot heavier which can add to the effect of the sway bar stiffness, giving more of an "oversteery" feeling.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
So looks like all front sway bars for the Mk6's are backordered for a long time. My guess is with limitted resources they are giving priority to the newer generation cars. The date for the neuspeed bar got pushed back to august and I heard H&R was the same so likely won't be until the fall. I was able to get my hands on a new 27mm APR front sway bar which is the hotchkis bar painted red. I also ordered new rear sway bar brackets with zirk fittings. The hotchkis bars come with these already which is pretty sweet.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
So looks like all front sway bars for the Mk6's are backordered for a long time. My guess is with limitted resources they are giving priority to the newer generation cars. The date for the neuspeed bar got pushed back to august and I heard H&R was the same so likely won't be until the fall. I was able to get my hands on a new 27mm APR front sway bar which is the hotchkis bar painted red. I also ordered new rear sway bar brackets with zirk fittings. The hotchkis bars come with these already which is pretty sweet.
Chris, that's the setup we have (y)
The hollow bars are less than half the weight of the solid bars.