GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WARNING FOR ARMMOTORSPORTS INTERCOOLER

Mslstudio22

I just wanted to share my knowledge with you guys. I recently switched to f23t turbo in my mk6 gti. Brought it to Dave at AU tuning, this guys knows his stuff. Anyways i have the armmotorsports fmic and it could not keep up with this turbo, neither would it do well with a ko4. He said the stock IC would have done the same if not better..so sad.. he said this intercooler cant go over 250hp. So my f23t is pushing 300trq and 265 hp at the wheel. (Wastegate needs to be adjusted also though). Biggest limiting factor was my IC. Get treadstone tr8c..and make it fit..

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah man.. its a POS. i had one while i was k04 then switched it to a TR8C when i first went BT and there was a huge difference. the Arm/Neuspeed/forge are all garbage IMO. Good for k03 only.

Blue K04

Passed Driver's Ed
I just wanted to share my knowledge with you guys. I recently switched to f23t turbo in my mk6 gti. Brought it to Dave at AU tuning, this guys knows his stuff. Anyways i have the armmotorsports fmic and it could not keep up with this turbo, neither would it do well with a ko4. He said the stock IC would have done the same if not better..so sad.. he said this intercooler cant go over 250hp. So my f23t is pushing 300trq and 265 hp at the wheel. (Wastegate needs to be adjusted also though). Biggest limiting factor was my IC. Get treadstone tr8c..and make it fit..
How specifically did it not keep up? Heat soak?
Yeah man.. its a POS. i had one while i was k04 then switched it to a TR8C when i first went BT and there was a huge difference. the Arm/Neuspeed/forge are all garbage IMO. Good for k03 only.
So the cheapest fmic you can buy, the TR8, is the best while the most popular fmic's are all garbage? I'm running ARM with my K04 and am happy but am I missing something?

Mslstudio22

How specifically did it not keep up? Heat soak?

So the cheapest fmic you can buy, the TR8, is the best while the most popular fmic's are all garbage? I'm running ARM with my K04 and am happy but am I missing something?
So my tuner said that they were 3~4 of timing away from where they wanted to be because of it. Not sure if it was heat soak or just airflow..have you got your ko4 on the dyno??. My car feels fast too with my numbers. But could be better..

Blue K04

Passed Driver's Ed
So my tuner said that they were 3~4 of timing away from where they wanted to be because of it. Not sure if it was heat soak or just airflow..have you got your ko4 on the dyno??. My car feels fast too with my numbers. But could be better..
I haven't put it on a Dyno yet but I ran the stock IC with the K04 and the engine would heat soak after a couple hard freeway pulls. Now I don't have that problem at all.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
...So the cheapest fmic you can buy, the TR8, is the best while the most popular fmic's are all garbage? I'm running ARM with my K04 and am happy but am I missing something?

The TR8C is a solid option for those that have someone that can do the fabrication or can DIY it themself. For what you spend to go that route, it's quite cost effective due to the high quality of the core and it cost roughly $230. Buy some quality couplers/clamps, universal piping kit and you're in roughly ~$500. Most of the FMIC kits specifically designed for our cars (neuspeed/ARM/etc.) are small, inefficient cores that tend to heat soak rather quickly, especially when it's not the stock IHI. Some of the stock location upgraded intercoolers (APR/IE/Unitronic) are pretty good at keeping heat soak to a minimum, they bolt right up, but they are typically $200-$400+ more expensive than the TR8C option. Unfortunately, being happy and the intercooler doing its job are two different things.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion

Correct and no, you're not missing anything. I had an arm fmic with my K04 and it made no difference, stock would have been better and quality is trash.. you notice the in/out-lets are ovalized on the ARM and not fully round? Why did they do that? no idea but it caused both ends to leak badly on mine..

Im not trying to sound like a ass but these FMIC's (neuspeed,arm,forge) are good for penny size k03's making 230whp. If you ever move up from your quarter size k04 to anything bigger youll notice how the heatbox ARM unit is useless.

When I had my GTX3 installed I still had the ARM united in my car and it didnt work AT ALL. Switched to a real FMIC (TR8C) and never looked back :D

Read this: http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/08/neuspe...XU0cYpuTjbNYBwuCcvxMrfOicp_ime8e9ZzRknIPEmWWk

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
The TR8C is a solid option for those that have someone that can do the fabrication or can DIY it themself. For what you spend to go that route, it's quite cost effective due to the high quality of the core and it cost roughly $230. Buy some quality couplers/clamps, universal piping kit and you're in roughly ~$500. Most of the FMIC kits specifically designed for our cars (neuspeed/ARM/etc.) are small, inefficient cores that tend to heat soak rather quickly, especially when it's not the stock IHI. Some of the stock location upgraded intercoolers (APR/IE/Unitronic) are pretty good at keeping heat soak to a minimum, they bolt right up, but they are typically $200-$400+ more expensive than the TR8C option. Unfortunately, being happy and the intercooler doing its job are two different things.

If you dont want to run a TR8C due to cutting and messing with fab work then run a stock location APR, EI, CTS intercooler.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
If you dont want to run a TR8C due to cutting and messing with fab work then run a stock location APR, EI, CTS intercooler.

Good point, totally forgot about the crash structure modification. Still not hard for the DIYer with correct tools, but most people like to just bolt-on parts.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
u gotta remember that the TR8C is just the core, no pipping but yeah lol imagine paying full price for a neuspeed one? IC's are way overpriced for our cars, its retarded.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Is the TR8C too much for the small stock turbo?