GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Was my oil pan re-threaded? Drip after change

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'd have rather had a hex head bolt. Dealer parts man told me it had been superseded by the torx bolt. No worries I have a good set of torx bits.

Uberryan

Banned
I've reused the same OEM torx bolt several times with no issues. I get a few drops immediately after draining and changing the oil, but I snug it up a little, then warm up the car, and it doesn't have an issue after that.

GTInSuch2

Passed Driver's Ed
Used the T45 bolt & an actual crush washer from dealer parts counter. It was donut shaped with a machined side and flat side. Installed it flat side against oil pan

Got it hand tight - a few drips. After running the car and snugging it up a second time so far so good. no drips.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
This is what the dealer sold me. Three oil changes & no leaks. Yes the crush washer is replaced at each oil change. I hope the new plug & crush washer stop the drips for you.

This is still the plug and washer I get from my dealership or ECS. Done About a dozen oil changes on this car with these and no issues

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I started getting frustrated with oil drips after changes, I wasn't comfortable tightening the bolt as much as it needed to not drip.

I now put a super thin coat of gasket maker on both sides of my crush washer (if this goes into your oil system you are screwed - I mean SUPER THIN coat), give it 3 minutes to get tacky, and tighten to spec. Never had a drop of oil come out since then.

torga

Autocross Champion
Wait... you guys change the drain plug each time you change the oil? WTF?
I change the crush washer each time. I don't see any reason to use a whole new plug every time, though.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Just the crush washer. None of the 3 plugs that I have used leaked as long as the OE crush washer was used.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I would thread a bolt in there and then wire brush that rust off slowly and carefully by hand. New crush washer and you should be good. If you want you could stuff a rag in the hole first as long as you have some needle nose pliers or some other tool to get the rag out.