GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Watkins Glen / GTI 35th Ann'y Replicas

jball12

Ready to race!
Not a good update today from my powdercoater:

Brian,
I am actually working on your wheels right now. we have been having nothing but problems with your wheels. Whatever aluminum they are made out of is a poor quality. I have never had this many problems with a set of wheels before, but most of the wheels we do are used, so we don't have many issues with the casting chemicals. Im trying my best to have these finished for you, but i want to make sure they are right before i release them to you.

That's all I know right now. Maybe I'll give them a call on the way home. Seems like since they were brand new and already had a finish on them, there may be an issue with removing the previous finish.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Seems reasonable with how much you paid for them.

jball12

Ready to race!
Yeah, agreed. Trust me, I didn't expect these to be same quality metal as high end wheels. I'm just hoping that the metal doesn't limit the coating.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yeah, agreed. Trust me, I didn't expect these to be same quality metal as high end wheels. I'm just hoping that the metal doesn't limit the coating.

I would hope the metal doesnt crack on its own! Maybe he can shed some more light on the material in person.

jball12

Ready to race!
Update:

Spoke with the powdercoater on the way home, not as bad as his email made it sound. He's actually not sure if the issue is with the metal, or with the powder itself, but on two of the wheels, there's some minor pitting on the insides of the spokes. Since it's not on the face of the wheel, I'm not super concerned. Disappointing, sure, but not a disaster. The other two wheels are perfect.

As far as structural integrity, he has no concerns there. I know he's no engineer, but the man knows his metal.

Just something for those considering PWP wheels, to keep in mind.

Pics when I get them.

jball12

Ready to race!
Here they are!

A.Bursell

Ready to race!
I'm not really a fan of black wheels, and I normally attribute them to someone trying too hard to be different.

But, WOW. Those came out great! Too bad they don't show well in the pictures of the whole car, the individual pictures make them look really sharp! My OEM's are the dark gray color and I'm looking forward to getting them on, but if I didn't go that route, I'd consider doing this. :thumbup:

Adam

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Turned out real nice! I'm having a hard time choosing what color I want!! Powder coating is way too much up in Canada, I got quoted $600! Hmmm.. Silver or machined?!?! I wish the silver was gunmetal!!!

I got quoted similar prices here, that and the weight are what drove me away. But these do look good, but the car needs tint now to balance it out. :D