GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird Situation - Manual guys

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
I find myself in this situation quite often actually.

im driving in 2nd 25 mph and slow down because of a train track. i slow down to about 10 mph and pass the track. at this point revs are very low, around 1400 rpm. obviously our cars begin to struggle (more clutch wear) until we power up into our power bands. the mph is too high to go into first, the ecu knows this and prevents us from going into first. slowing down anymore then 10 mph will cause the people behind you to go insane and actually begin to cause traffic. what do you do in such a situation?

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Well I don't usually ever slow down to 10 mph on an open free flowing road, so I never have to really worry about this situation... But, 2nd gear is pretty snappy and short. Giving it half throttle should be more than enough to pull you away quickly in second gear. There may be a one second delay, but thats nothing. Lol stay in second and just gas it and hold it.

cacophony555

Ready to race!
Slowing down in second gear doesn't wear the clutch. Your approach sounds like the best way to do it. You want to avoid lugging the engine, but there's no danger of that above 1000 revs.

ottawaP5

Ready to race!
I can take off in 3rd from a dead stop (did it by accident a few times), 2nd has plenty of power at low speeds. Like a previous post said, just give it half throttle and the car will scoot.

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Go to Google, type how does a clutch work, do reading, then come back and tell us what you have learned.

Low rpms would affect nothing on a clutch.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
The computer won't let you go into 1st gear? I have never had those issues.
Have you tried to rev the motor to get the synchros in line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

no i havent. i guess i never really learned to rev match first because i have never done it. downshifting into first while rolling doesnt sound smart tho. rather wear my clutch then wear my gears. if done right tho, i see what your saying.

as far as the other comments (too lazy to quote all of you)
when im low into 2nd, the clutch struggles for about a second. i dont like to hear my clutch struggle to maintain power and prevent itself from stalling. even if its for that second. not a pleasant sound to hear and feel your car struggling, you know?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Whenever I get into a situation where I'm too fast for first but out of the powerband of 2nd, I usually put the clutch in, rev a bit higher and ease the clutch back out. Terrible, I know, but I'm happier being in the powerband.

Sent via Tapatalk, butchered by autocorrect

A_Bowers

no i havent. i guess i never really learned to rev match first because i have never done it. downshifting into first while rolling doesnt sound smart tho. rather wear my clutch then wear my gears. if done right tho, i see what your saying.

as far as the other comments (too lazy to quote all of you)
when im low into 2nd, the clutch struggles for about a second. i dont like to hear my clutch struggle to maintain power and prevent itself from stalling. even if its for that second. not a pleasant sound to hear and feel your car struggling, you know?

It's possible, but like you, I don't care to shift into 1st rolling.

My best suggestion would be to slip the clutch while going over the tracks, or slow down enough to get into first.

To heck with people. They can deal with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BS2H

Ready to race!
I don't think the car will let you go into first above 5mph at all ever. Matched revs or no matched revs. I wouldn't do it anyway. But as others have said 2nd gear at 10-12mph with some throttle should be fine.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
If you rev match a bit, the tranny will actually pull the lever into first gear quite beautifully if you just nudge it a bit. Dont force it into first, just nudge it toward first while giving it a little gas and let the synchros do their job. You'll feel the lever get sucked into gear.

M

Michael@drivespm

There is no ECU lockout for first that I'm aware of. I just blip the gas and let the shifter just fall into place.

I noticed shifting into first, or any gear for that matter, was MUCH improved after I changed transmission fluid. The OEM fluid was weaksauce compared to anything I have run since.

zippy88

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty sure that the manual states not to shift into first until the car has come to a complete stop. It also says that 1st gear is for getting the car moving and once it is, use 2nd gear.

If you're cruising slow and think 2nd gear may be getting the revs too low, put your foot on the clutch, cruise a little slower and if you need to speed up again, ease off the clutch with a little gas.

This car has more power at 1400 rpm than many economy cars have at their peak.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
There is no ECU lockout for first that I'm aware of. I just blip the gas and let the shifter just fall into place.

I noticed shifting into first, or any gear for that matter, was MUCH improved after I changed transmission fluid. The OEM fluid was weaksauce compared to anything I have run since.

Nice! What fluid would you recommend so far?