GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

well just shelled out my new turbo..

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
happy Friday everyone! about to kick off the weekend and spring is almost here... and my turbo is SMOKED!!! thought Id drive it to work today since its pretty nice where Im at today. heard a bit of a whining noise, thought Id look at it when I get to work (only 15 minute drive) got it up on a lift and took my charge pipe down, FULL of oil and metal chunks. so after a year and maybe 1000 miles at most on this turbo fingers crossed the next one is built better. thought going APR was the wise choice.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I feel your pain. Bummer. Metal in the oil system does not bode well for the motor either. Jeez that may need a full tear down to get all the bits and pieces cleaned out.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
happy Friday everyone! about to kick off the weekend and spring is almost here... and my turbo is SMOKED!!! thought Id drive it to work today since its pretty nice where Im at today. heard a bit of a whining noise, thought Id look at it when I get to work (only 15 minute drive) got it up on a lift and took my charge pipe down, FULL of oil and metal chunks. so after a year and maybe 1000 miles at most on this turbo fingers crossed the next one is built better. thought going APR was the wise choice.
Doesn't APR use Borgwarner turbo's? it's just branded as APR?

Well now you get to buy a NEW BIGGER turbo! look at the brighter side.

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
yeah Ill have a bit of cleaning up to do for sure.

and yes they use a modified Borgwarner I believe. they put together a nice kit thats easy enough to install. Im hoping APR will help given its still pretty much a new turbo. hell the box for it is still sitting on the shelf in my garage. if they tell me too bad so sad which Im kind of expecting maybe I see a Garrett in the near future.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
yeah Ill have a bit of cleaning up to do for sure.

and yes they use a modified Borgwarner I believe. they put together a nice kit thats easy enough to install. Im hoping APR will help given its still pretty much a new turbo. hell the box for it is still sitting on the shelf in my garage. if they tell me too bad so sad which Im kind of expecting maybe I see a Garrett in the near future.
Curious to hear follow up on this because the APR BW unit is pretty solid (arguably more solid than the factory IHI unit) and it's not very often you hear about them failing after such short usage.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Curious to hear follow up on this because the APR BW unit is pretty solid (arguably more solid than the factory IHI unit) and it's not very often you hear about them failing after such short usage.
Conditions other than the manufactured quality of a turbo can cause it to fail.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Conditions other than the manufactured quality of a turbo can cause it to fail.
Agreed, but we’ve not gotten any details other than that it failed. Short of oil starvation, sending metal debris to the turbo oil feed line, or overheating I’m not sure what other external factors would case the premature failure.

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
update: finally got around to pulling the turbo. I havnt taken off the compressor housing to look at the wheel, exhaust wheel felt pretty good though. Im not able to find any restrictions with the oil or cooling lines so I dont believe it was an over heat or oil starvation issue that I can tell. I ordered a GFB diverter that Im waiting on before it comes back together. on the bright side no glitter made it much past the intercooler or into the engine oil. should be able to rip it around in a couple more weeks.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
update: finally got around to pulling the turbo. I havnt taken off the compressor housing to look at the wheel, exhaust wheel felt pretty good though. Im not able to find any restrictions with the oil or cooling lines so I dont believe it was an over heat or oil starvation issue that I can tell. I ordered a GFB diverter that Im waiting on before it comes back together. on the bright side no glitter made it much past the intercooler or into the engine oil. should be able to rip it around in a couple more weeks.
Any update on a replacement?

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
finally had some time to work on the GTI and its back together and driving, I found a tapped banjo bolt from ECS so I have a gauge to see what the turbo is getting for oil pressure. not sure what specs are but I noticed the turbo was seeing about 7psi less than the oil filter housing at cold idle (40psi and 32-33psi) after a 15 minute drive and warmed up idles at about 10 psi at 700-800 rpm. at about 3000 rpm I see it get to about 40psi. I didnt push it any harder than that

side note when I had the APR turbo in I was getting about 22psi of boost max, I switched to IE on the same tune and I got 25-26 psi according to my access port. both being K04 should they not be the same boost pressure? or does anybody if should I be looking for another issue?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
finally had some time to work on the GTI and its back together and driving, I found a tapped banjo bolt from ECS so I have a gauge to see what the turbo is getting for oil pressure. not sure what specs are but I noticed the turbo was seeing about 7psi less than the oil filter housing at cold idle (40psi and 32-33psi) after a 15 minute drive and warmed up idles at about 10 psi at 700-800 rpm. at about 3000 rpm I see it get to about 40psi. I didnt push it any harder than that

side note when I had the APR turbo in I was getting about 22psi of boost max, I switched to IE on the same tune and I got 25-26 psi according to my access port. both being K04 should they not be the same boost pressure? or does anybody if should I be looking for another issue?
The best way to confirm the boost difference thing is to take a log and compare with a previous log. Engine load has a significant impact on actual boost, so it’s worth logging. It may be worth sending a WOT log to your tuner to make sure nothing needs to be changed along with the new turbo.

As far as the oil pressure, admittedly I’ve never measured oil pressure at the turbo so I don’t know if the pressure difference is normal. Assuming you’re measuring on the supply side and not the return, correct? At one point I had an oil flow diagram but I can’t seem to find it at the moment. If I remember right, the oil filter housing is the first stop after the oil pump, so I would expect pressure to be highest there.

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
The best way to confirm the boost difference thing is to take a log and compare with a previous log. Engine load has a significant impact on actual boost, so it’s worth logging. It may be worth sending a WOT log to your tuner to make sure nothing needs to be changed along with the new turbo.

As far as the oil pressure, admittedly I’ve never measured oil pressure at the turbo so I don’t know if the pressure difference is normal. Assuming you’re measuring on the supply side and not the return, correct? At one point I had an oil flow diagram but I can’t seem to find it at the moment. If I remember right, the oil filter housing is the first stop after the oil pump, so I would expect pressure to be highest there.
I will take a log later today and send it. I did email Alex at stratified Im still just waiting on a reply about the tune. feels good driving though and AFR seems to be ok according to my AP.
I know oil pressure has been discussed countless times but I have yet to find any solid info regarding specs.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I will take a log later today and send it. I did email Alex at stratified Im still just waiting on a reply about the tune. feels good driving though and AFR seems to be ok according to my AP.
I know oil pressure has been discussed countless times but I have yet to find any solid info regarding specs.
These are the oil pressure specs full operating temp at the oil filter housing. Unless you have some sort of blockage in the oil passage to the turbo, I can’t imagine their would be an oil flow issue.
IMG_5112.jpeg