GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the benefits to a euroswitch?

6TI

Banned
Please excuse my ignorance. I searched for a while, but mainly found build threads or just people saying, "installed my euroswitch today!"

I'm curious as to how this is much different than stock. What are the positions and what do they offer in terms of light sequence?

A couple more dumb questions...

Where's the best place to buy one?

Will it throw a code?

And installing is as easy as pushing in on the stock switch, turning clockwise and pulling out, correct?

Thanks!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I dont have a euroswitch but you can buy at ecstuning.com. Euro switch is to get to have auto lights and the use of rear fogs on the bumper. There should be a instruction video of the instilation on the website where youll get to its page(yes its easy) and im sure it could throw a code, i have led tails which did that (which vagcom will solve it out).

Winoman

Ready to race!
I just ordered a Euroswitch on Amazon for around $25 shipped - by far the cheapest I've seen it anywhere. Haven't recieved it yet to comment on quality - but reviewers claim it it OEM and works great. Can't wait. I got it so that I could disable DRL and independently switch my parking & fog lights...at least I am hopeing it will do that for me...we'll see.

hiimelvin

Ready to race!
Euroswitch will allow for different functionality depending on which one you get. Most people get them to be able to run a rear fog light and/or parking lights. As you know on the stock switch it is either headlights on or off and a single pull for fog lights. On a Euroswitch you can run your parking lights without your headlights on and also run parking lights with front and (if installed) rear fogs on as well. Of course it still has the headlight on/off control as well.

It says MK5 but it is the same on MK6.

iamgap

Ready to race!
There won't be any codes to worry about. You will have to install a trigger wire. It is not that difficult, just hard on the back. The trigger wire is what causes the DRLs to stay off when the switch is in the off position.

gap

idriveastick

Ready to race!
So are you guys saying that with just the swap of the switch module, one can attain all of these modes (providing you have rear fogs)?

Seems odd that they didn't just supply this cheap part from the factory...or am I missing something?

Forgive me, I'm a complete newb.

6TI

Banned
There won't be any codes to worry about. You will have to install a trigger wire. It is not that difficult, just hard on the back. The trigger wire is what causes the DRLs to stay off when the switch is in the off position.

gap
Trigger wire???

So you're saying i can keep DRL's off using this w/o vagcom?

6TI

Banned
So are you guys saying that with just the swap of the switch module, one can attain all of these modes (providing you have rear fogs)?

Seems odd that they didn't just supply this cheap part from the factory...or am I missing something?

NO you're right. Idk whyyyyyyyy they didn't give us this switch from the factor.......

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion

They didnt put euro switches on US Market cars because US Market cars don't come with a rear fog.

gap

No

The first trigger wire allows the operation of the parking light position (city lights+rear running lights). The second trigger wire allows the switch to operate the rear fog. Since VW never intended for US cars to have those capabilities, they did not include the wiring for it. It has nothing to do with DRLs. You can enable or disable DRL's (via coding) regardless of whether you have a trigger wire(s) or not, or whether you have a euro switch or not.

iamgap

Ready to race!
They didnt put euro switches on US Market cars because US Market cars don't come with a rear fog.

Not sure I agree here, but I cannot prove otherwise. I tend to believe it is a combination of potential litigation and saving money.

No

The first trigger wire allows the operation of the parking light position (city lights+rear running lights). The second trigger wire allows the switch to operate the rear fog. Since VW never intended for US cars to have those capabilities, they did not include the wiring for it. It has nothing to do with DRLs. You can enable or disable DRL's (via coding) regardless of whether you have a trigger wire(s) or not, or whether you have a euro switch or not.

This I can fully disagree with, with authority. I installed the switch on my 2010 Golf, and it acted the same as the normal switch before I installed the (first) trigger wire. I didn't install any other trigger wire, as I do not have a rear fog.

Regarding the DRL being mandatory, I don't know which states do, but I have read several posts where the poster's state (not Canadian) required DRL if the car was so equipped. In other words, you couldn't defeat them if they came that way from the factory.

gap

kern417

Go Kart Champion
my cars a little different but the info coming in here is way different from what i've heard, even for mk6.

1.) The switch will work out of the box in the way that yes you can still get your headlights to turn on and off. To get the parking light feature, you'll have to program your instrument panel for Europe/Canada/etc. with vag com. Otherwise the parking function won't work.
2.) A lot of the switches say coming home/leaving home or auto, but you also have to program this through vag com. I'm not sure but I'd assume that if your car didn't come with auto headlights, you might need some additional hardware for it to work.
3.) Yes it enables rear fog when upgrading to led tails. But you need to run a trigger wire to the switch for your fogs to work.
4.) It allows people that have cars that didn't come with fog lights to wire them up, also requires a trigger wire.

so if anyone that actually has one installed and disagrees with that let me know. but that's what i needed for mine (although i drive a mk5). also my euroswitch did nothing for drls. I also had to disable through vagcom.