GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the benefits to a euroswitch?

AudiSport4000

5cyl turbo
I wanted to run city lights and ditch the DRL's so I got a euro switch. Easy installation and disabling the DRL's via turn signal stalk (halogen) and I was in business. Lub zee euro switch.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Please excuse my ignorance. I searched for a while, but mainly found build threads or just people saying, "installed my euroswitch today!"

I'm curious as to how this is much different than stock. What are the positions and what do they offer in terms of light sequence?

A couple more dumb questions...

Where's the best place to buy one?

Will it throw a code?

And installing is as easy as pushing in on the stock switch, turning clockwise and pulling out, correct?

Thanks!

Mine is maxed out. Two trigger wires, one for parking light mode, one for rear fog on my LED tails. Auto mode works with the boldsport light sensor to turn the lights on and off automatically.

Involved wiring and coding and fiddling to get it all to work, but now I'm loving it.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
The thing with the DRL's being deactivated only applies to Halogen cars who are running rear fog led tails. This has to with the coding in Vag-Com and not the trigger wire/euro switch. When one recodes byte 18 to 22 they are making the lighting euro spec so the cecm recognizes the other functions of the euro switch with the rewired cecm. This recoding makes the car think it has the wiring for Bi-Xeonon's with led DRL I'm assuming. Because in Europe they dont have halogens since bi-xenon's are required buy law in most of the other countries. If one has LED Bi-Xenon's and does the euro tails w/ rear fog and does the recoding their DRL's should still work.

Disclaimer: Recoding byte 18 to 22 is only for Halogen cars that have LED tails with rear fog!

This is an excellent guide to recoding your car and what trigger wires do what(also great DIY reference for led tail install!):
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog.

Last edited:

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
The thing with the DRL's being deactivated only applies to Halogen cars who are running rear fog led tails. This has to with the coding in Vag-Com and not the trigger wire/euro switch. When one recodes byte 18 to 22 they are making the lighting euro spec so the cecm recognizes the other functions of the euro switch with the rewired cecm. This recoding makes the car think it has the wiring for Bi-Xeonon's with led DRL I'm assuming. Because in Europe they dont have halogens since bi-xenon's are required buy law in most of the other countries. If one has LED Bi-Xenon's and does the euro tails w/ rear fog and does the recoding their DRL's should still work.

Disclaimer: Recoding byte 18 to 22 is only for Halogen cars that have LED tails with rear fog!

This is an excellent guide to recoding your car and what trigger wires do what(also great DIY reference for led tail install!):
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog.

^ Holy shit that's some nonsense you posted right there.

For starters bi-xenon lights are not only required by law in Europe. DRLs are required now.
Of course Europe has halogen lights. Vast majority are.

DRLs activation or deactivation on halogen have nothing to do with rear fog lights or with the euroswitch.

You code byte 18 to 15 for rear fog light LEDs and halogen fronts.
You are not making halogen light cars think it has bi-xenon lights with the coding. It is row halogen lights.

With a euroswitch you don't have to bother with your rear fog light. You only do if you want the rear fog to work.
You don't code because you have a euroswitch.
You code because you have a rear fog light and don't want it lighting up when in reverse - and also to eliminate startup flicker and the bulb out error depending on the lights you have.

With the euroswitch you use one trigger wire to enable the sidelight bulbs position and another for part of the wiring to enable the rear fog. Then you switch some pin connections between the cecms and you get your rear fog light now working.

Last edited:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah that was a lot of misinformation. unless you actually have one be careful what you say. or at least triple check it first.

like i said i have a mk5 but i'm speaking from experience. the only thing that requires changing your instrument panel to europe or canada is enabling parking lights. going from halogens to projectors or upgrading to led tails do not. like stated before you guys can even disable drls through your stalk. i know on my car i installed it without vagcom and the middle position (parking lights) did absolutely nothing. i ended up doing the canada one because the europe one changed miles to kilometers on your trip counter. i still have to deal with a 24hr clock and temp readings in celsius though.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
^ Holy shit that's some nonsense you posted right there.

For starters bi-xenon lights are not only required by law in Europe. DRLs are required now.
Of course Europe has halogen lights. Vast majority are.

DRLs activation or deactivation on halogen have nothing to do with rear fog lights or with the euroswitch.

You code byte 18 to 15 for rear fog light LEDs and halogen fronts.
You are not making halogen light cars think it has bi-xenon lights with the coding. It is row halogen lights.

With a euroswitch you don't have to bother with your rear fog light. You only do if you want the rear fog to work.
You don't code because you have a euroswitch.
You code because you have a rear fog light and don't want it lighting up when in reverse - and also to eliminate startup flicker and the bulb out error depending on the lights you have.

With the euroswitch you use one trigger wire to enable the sidelight bulbs position and another for part of the wiring to enable the rear fog. Then you switch some pin connections between the cecms and you get your rear fog light now working.

yeah that was a lot of misinformation. unless you actually have one be careful what you say. or at least triple check it first.

like i said i have a mk5 but i'm speaking from experience. the only thing that requires changing your instrument panel to europe or canada is enabling parking lights. going from halogens to projectors or upgrading to led tails do not. like stated before you guys can even disable drls through your stalk. i know on my car i installed it without vagcom and the middle position (parking lights) did absolutely nothing. i ended up doing the canada one because the europe one changed miles to kilometers on your trip counter. i still have to deal with a 24hr clock and temp readings in celsius though.

Yeah you're rewiring for the fog light and parking light. The only instance I have seen he drls not work anymore is on halogen cars who have rear fog, the drl's still work for those who have led's and or bixenons. I did put im assuming next to that making the car think it has bixenons. You can reprogram byte 18 to 22 or 15. Byte 15 is also used for bixenon led's drl's w/rear fog. I have mine coded to 22 and it works perfectly fine. If one is recoding to the row halogen coding and drl are required almost every where else then why does it disable us spec cars' drls? Also Mk'6 shouldn't have the option to come in halogen in Europe since its a newer car, this is how it is in Canada and their laws are similar from what i know so far. I this is still bs to you then please inform me.

Last edited:

Cabriolet

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed a euroswitch about 5 months ago with the auto option. Today while cleaning the car as the weather was nice i left the parking lights on and while in the kitchen locked the car with the key fob. Went out a while later and looking thru the drivers side window noticed that the light switch was switched to the parking lights on but the lights were off.
I clicked the key fob to open the doors and the lights went on. I clicked the key fob again and the car locked and the lights went out. Also tried it with the headlights and the same thing took place. Anyone know about this. Is this an euroswitch thing. This is great. If you forget to turn your lights off and do not hear the warning sound and lock the car the lights go off automatically. No more dead batteries.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I installed a euroswitch about 5 months ago with the auto option. Today while cleaning the car as the weather was nice i left the parking lights on and while in the kitchen locked the car with the key fob. Went out a while later and looking thru the drivers side window noticed that the light switch was switched to the parking lights on but the lights were off.
I clicked the key fob to open the doors and the lights went on. I clicked the key fob again and the car locked and the lights went out. Also tried it with the headlights and the same thing took place. Anyone know about this. Is this an euroswitch thing. This is great. If you forget to turn your lights off and do not hear the warning sound and lock the car the lights go off automatically. No more dead batteries.

Yes this is a euro switch thing. It is called simulated coming/leaving home. You put the switch in the parking light position and your parking lights will stay on until you lock the car and will turn back on when the car is unlocked.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Yeah you're rewiring for the fog light and parking light. The only instance I have seen he drls not work anymore is on halogen cars who have rear fog, the drl's still work for those who have led's and or bixenons. I did put im assuming next to that making the car think it has bixenons. You can reprogram byte 18 to 22 or 15. Byte 15 is also used for bixenon led's drl's w/rear fog. I have mine coded to 22 and it works perfectly fine. If one is recoding to the row halogen coding and drl are required almost every where else then why does it disable us spec cars' drls? Also Mk'6 shouldn't have the option to come in halogen in Europe since its a newer car, this is how it is in Canada and their laws are similar from what i know so far. I this is still bs to you then please inform me.

Coding for rear led taillights does absolutely nothing to the drls in US halogen equipped tailights.

Adding a euroswitch does absolutely nothing to the drls in US halogen equipped cars.

Adding a euroswitch and also coding for rear led taillights does absolutely nothing to the drls in US halogen equipped cars.

Adding the trigger wire for front sidelights does absolutely nothing to the drls in US halogen equipped cars. Same with adding the rear fog light trigger wire.

Mk6 in europe is two years older than mk6 in the US. Of course halogens are on cars in Europe. Cars there are equipped more cheaply with nearly all features as individual options as well as packages. The bi-xenon are optional extras.
The mk7 cars have halogen front lights and believe it or not, that is in Europe too.

For the record I have halogen front, rear LEDs with rear fog, coded 15. Euroswitch auto with auto sensor wired for sidelights and wired and working with the rear fog. DRLs unaffected.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
I have halogen front, rear LEDs with rear fog, coded 15 repair wires run for rear fog and city and I have lost day time running lights.

I cannot get them to come on anymore

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Coding for rear led taillights does absolutely nothing to the drls in US halogen equipped tailights.

Adding a euroswitch does absolutely nothing to the drls in US halogen equipped cars.

Adding a euroswitch and also coding for rear led taillights does absolutely nothing to the drls in US halogen equipped cars.

Adding the trigger wire for front sidelights does absolutely nothing to the drls in US halogen equipped cars. Same with adding the rear fog light trigger wire.

Mk6 in europe is two years older than mk6 in the US. Of course halogens are on cars in Europe. Cars there are equipped more cheaply with nearly all features as individual options as well as packages. The bi-xenon are optional extras.
The mk7 cars have halogen front lights and believe it or not, that is in Europe too.

For the record I have halogen front, rear LEDs with rear fog, coded 15. Euroswitch auto with auto sensor wired for sidelights and wired and working with the rear fog. DRLs unaffected.

Wait really?! My DRl's dont work whatsoever since i did the coding for the tails. If I want drl's my only option is to use the fog as drls, I thought it was this way for everyone. Looks like I will be doing some vagcomming. I thought car were required by law to have bi-xenon's but I guess not.

I have halogen front, rear LEDs with rear fog, coded 15 repair wires run for rear fog and city and I have lost day time running lights.

I cannot get them to come on anymore

This is the problem I am having as well. What is your byte 18 codded to. mine is codded to 22. According to xd-data-ii the DRL's still work when byte 18 is coded to 15. Recoding to 15 is also what the gti's with bixenons and led tails w/ rear fog code to.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm. I'll look into that further. Didn't realize it actually was an issue for other people too.

From what is saw from site byte 18 to 15 is the recommended coding for halogen fronts And rear fog. Other ones for xenon fronts.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Heres what i had to do on my 2012 autobahn. I don't remember the exact byte, but I had to code my lights to RoW to get rid of the bulb out errors when I put in my R20 LED tails.

However, when you go RoW on a 2012 with LED DRL the right DRL lights go out. Left stay on. So you need to then go swap two wires in the CECM in addition to adding trigger wires. Then the rear fog will work and the right DRL will work as desired.

Pain in the ass, but there's some good DIY on here I used and got it all sorted.