GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
That part is for a turbo application with redefined conditions to activate it.

Simply, the IE valve cover require a baffle installed to act as a curtain against splash from the valve gear, if you are intent on pursuing a solution, why not take a look at the external Air Oil Separator on the 2.0 FSI engine. You may have to do some re-engineering and block off a section of it tho (JB Weld is your friend) but you will have diaphragm system again, change the spring to the stock one on the 2.5 may give some results.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
That part is for a turbo application with redefined conditions to activate it.

Simply, the IE valve cover require a baffle installed to act as a curtain against splash from the valve gear, if you are intent on pursuing a solution, why not take a look at the external Air Oil Separator on the 2.0 FSI engine. You may have to do some re-engineering and block off a section of it tho (JB Weld is your friend) but you will have diaphragm system again, change the spring to the stock one on the 2.5 may give some results.

The IE cover has a baffle installed and actually it's one of IE's selling points but the design is such it actually acts more like a siphon. I've thought about cutting out the baffle and using a more open design. I have looked at the 1.8L and 2.0L air oil separators as well but it isn't really feasable and at that point I might as well jist go back to stock cover and PCV. I haven't driven much yet with the screen and low vacuum as I have been in Wisconsin for work.but that might solve my issue.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The IE cover has a baffle installed and actually it's one of IE's selling points but the design is such it actually acts more like a siphon. I've thought about cutting out the baffle and using a more open design. I have looked at the 1.8L and 2.0L air oil separators as well but it isn't really feasable and at that point I might as well jist go back to stock cover and PCV. I haven't driven much yet with the screen and low vacuum as I have been in Wisconsin for work.but that might solve my issue.
Part of the advantage of the diaphragm system is that it open/closes = stop/start and allows the oil to drip back off the baffles, if you have constant suction even low vacuum means sucking more oil out like a siphon.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Hmm. I'll have to think about this. I could retrofit a diaphram style PCV I am sure but my concern is if the diaphram were to fail with the current baffle issue it could easily pull enough oil out of the system in a relatively short amount of time to blow the motor as there is no low oil light on the golf. Not worth the risk to keep the cover on under vacuum. I'll let it ride the way it is currenly. I'll know in a week if I am still pulling too much oil. If so I'll throw the stock cover back on and see what happens.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I got a couple of 3/4 inch ID brass fittings at the Princess Auto but the diameter and threads are so large, there no taps large enough to cut threads into the aluminum plenum, prolly why UM/HEP and IE default to using 3/8 OD fittings.

I was thinking of cutting a 4/5 hole and use some roll sheet aluminum and make a 3/4 inch cylinder port and braze and weld it onto the plenum.

OR i have a stock 07K intake manifold I could cut off and JB weld it onto the UM/HEP.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I got a couple of 3/4 inch ID brass fittings at the Princess Auto but the diameter and threads are so large, there no taps large enough to cut threads into the aluminum plenum, prolly why UM/HEP and IE default to using 3/8 OD fittings.

I was thinking of cutting a 4/5 hole and use some roll sheet aluminum and make a 3/4 inch cylinder port and braze and weld it onto the plenum.

OR I have a stock 07K intake manifold I could cut off and JB weld it onto the UM/HEP.

IE doesn't have a 3/8" port. It has 4 x 1/8" and 1 x 1/4" ports. I just merged a 1/8" and 1/4" line into a 3/8" line. I called them when I first set up the manifold and they said the manifold ports were for running the brakes and whatnot that require vacuum and they configured it with the expectation people were running their cold air intake which routes the PCV to the CAI inlet.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
IE doesn't have a 3/8" port. It has 4 x 1/8" and 1 x 1/4" ports. I just merged a 1/8" and 1/4" line into a 3/8" line. I called them when I first set up the manifold and they said the manifold ports were for running the brakes and whatnot that require vacuum and they configured it with the expectation people were running their cold air intake which routes the PCV to the CAI inlet.
I stand corrected, I guess the only SRI that is engineered to use the stock PCV is the UM/HEP.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
A new experiment. I added a smaller second catch can not really as a catch can but as an air/oil separator similar to how the stock setup is configured before the PCV. Oil can drain back to the valve cover while vapor exits through the upper hose. I had bought this catch can for my motorcycle but it's a bit wide so I kept it for this purpose as it was only $20 on eBay. Pretty nice actually and I shouldn't have to clean it as it shouldn't really collect any material since there is no media in it and the can will be hot from the engine. I had changed out the fitting on the valve cover last weekend and that alone made a huge difference on the amount of oil getting to the catch can and my oil consumption has stopped. At 500 miles I am still at the full line whereas before I would have been a half a quart below it. Still won't be able to put the valve cover under vacuum though. That will never happen I'm afraid. IE's description says their baffle design guarantees no oil will exit the valve cover. I would argue that it guarantees that it will. Maybe on a brand new engine or maybe it just wasn't meant to be used with a PCV or tested under normal vacuum.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Looks really good, you making progress if no longer loosing oil.

No response from eBay seller on my request for more info.:iono:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Likely going to get the ABS/ESP recall done before we install tschool he UM/HEP Intake Manifold, my boy will be taking the car back when he finishes in April.