GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Wish it worked for iPhone, sounds ilke a nice upgrade. Super happy with my RCD330 and rearview camera setup that you suggested I get. Also added a Rockford 10in powered sub which transformed the sound of this simple system.
Lots of options for wireless hubs for the iphone. The one I'm using is linked up this page a bit.

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
No I haven't, but, it's on the list. Doing control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings, and endlinks this week. Bearings held on until 250,000km. Front end due for some love.
I'm at 185000km, have you done your belts and tensioners, any suggestions? Also my A/C is not working well right now, it either the whole compressor or the
No I haven't, but, it's on the list. Doing control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings, and endlinks this week. Bearings held on until 250,000km. Front end due for some love.
I'm at 185000km, have you done your belts and tensioners, any suggestions? Also my A/C is not working well right now, it either the whole compressor or the control solenoid

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
I'm at 185000km, have you done your belts and tensioners, any suggestions? Also my A/C is not working well right now, it either the whole compressor or the

I'm at 185000km, have you done your belts and tensioners, any suggestions? Also my A/C is not working well right now, it either the whole compressor or the control solenoid
Funnily enough my AC ran outta juice a couple weeks ago and needs a recharge. I really don't use the AC that much. Belts & tensioners run smooth and no evidence of cracking...at some point i'll tackle it. I'm doing oil every 6-7km, and trans fluid,filter, and gasket every 2 years at this point - alternate years I'm doing a flush & fill on the trans. Car's been ridiculously reliable. Picking away a stuff that's at it's service life. Control arms/bearings/ball joints/endlinks in the front end this week. Tackle the rear end in the fall. Started getting some slop in the front end and creaky when coming out of the garage and down the driveway, and the car has some shimmy in the steering wheel on harder acceleration. How's your car feel..still tight? Mostly original under your car aside from the usual upgrades?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Zimmerman have been my go to as well and have been great. Tried the hawk rotors this time. No complaints but no praise either. If I had to do it over again I would have done a BBK as I still get a lot of fade coming down the mountain from Palomar. The stock size I think is just not up to snuff for that kind of braking in already high ambient temps.
Do you know if its the front or back that's over heating? Use an inferred thermometer to shoot the rotors immediately after you experience the brake fade, so you can identify the temp, F or R or which corner of the car is getting really hot. If its the front brakes you can try adding Porsche GT3 Brake Scoops to direct additional air into the inner wheel hub area to cool the brakes, 5 Years ago they were like $11 each side so they wont break the bank and can be adapted to fit in about 20 minutes to the MK6 using a drill, sharp scissors and some cable ties. Once you see the pics in the link you will get the idea.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Do you know if its the front or back that's over heating? Use an inferred thermometer to shoot the rotors immediately after you experience the brake fade, so you can identify the temp, F or R or which corner of the car is getting really hot. If its the front brakes you can try adding Porsche GT3 Brake Scoops to direct additional air into the inner wheel hub area to cool the brakes, 5 Years ago they were like $11 each side so they wont break the bank and can be adapted to fit in about 20 minutes to the MK6 using a drill, sharp scissors and some cable ties. Once you see the pics in the link you will get the idea, a few degrees of cooling can make all the difference

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Funnily enough my AC ran outta juice a couple weeks ago and needs a recharge. I really don't use the AC that much. Belts & tensioners run smooth and no evidence of cracking...at some point i'll tackle it. I'm doing oil every 6-7km, and trans fluid,filter, and gasket every 2 years at this point - alternate years I'm doing a flush & fill on the trans. Car's been ridiculously reliable. Picking away a stuff that's at it's service life. Control arms/bearings/ball joints/endlinks in the front end this week. Tackle the rear end in the fall. Started getting some slop in the front end and creaky when coming out of the garage and down the driveway, and the car has some shimmy in the steering wheel on harder acceleration. How's your car feel..still tight? Mostly original under your car aside from the usual upgrades?
Yes, mostly original. Just a few upgrades under the car, like Moog front and rear end links, and upgraded bushings for the original rear sway bar. I'll give it another year or so to do the control arms/bearings/ball joints. I just found some Passat aluminum control arms in Kijiji, not sure if I should get them. I did the first transmission fluid, filter, gasket at about 150k 😂, might just do a drain and fill after 200k.

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Also a quick update, I found a guy with Ross-tech cable to help me code the paddles to work with auto transmission in Vcds. It was easy, luckily I had all the modules needed since I have the mfsw originally. I feel like I can shift quicker with paddle shifters. I'm so happy I made the move.

Screenshot_2022-06-04-22-14-05-281~2.jpg

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Not related question, Mark, did you have to put in a new AC compressor at one point?
No I had a rock hit the condenser that's in front of the radiator and all the R134a refridgerant leaked out, so bought a condenser for $45 and 2 rings and installed it. I have a Harbour Freight AC Manifold Kit and a Venturi Vacuum Pump. Andrew doesn't do AC but I used his shop compressor and my AC Manifold connected to the Venturi vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the Golf for 25 minutes and then filled the system with 30 Oz of R134a. AC has bee good since.
If your compressor is really screwed you can buy a new one and have it shipped via Cross Border Pickups to Markham.
I would love to help but I live a bit outa the way. Talk to Andrew let him, if is compressor he can install it for you and get the guy next door to do the vacuum and refill with R134a

If it is the Compressor, go under the car and take a pic of the Label on the Compressor to know which one to order. They comes with oil already inside. The mechanics are supposed to drain the oil from the old compressor and adjust the amount in the new compressor to be approx the same amount. Too much AC oil or refrigerant and the system wouldn't be as cool as it should be

Last edited:

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
wrapped interior trim pieces

Attachments

• IMG_20220713_112309~2.jpg
    IMG_20220713_112309~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220713_112320~2.jpg
    IMG_20220713_112320~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220713_112330~2.jpg
    IMG_20220713_112330~2.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220713_112335~2.jpg
    IMG_20220713_112335~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220713_112343~2.jpg
    IMG_20220713_112343~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

Theonlycam

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm just here to say that I'm now at 316,000 km and the car is still going strong lol.

Installed a new k&n filter on my DIY intake.

Need to do my sparkplugs, brake pads, rear rotors, rear calipers, my parking brake, front bumper, headlights (burn damage on front left) and my rear suspension.

20220918_175023.jpg