GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

What did you do to your MK6 today?

SJC

Ready to race!
Took it through the car wash to get the salt dust off.
Sprayed the new coil overs with Fluid Film to attempt to slow down rusting.
Marvelled in how fucking dusty and dirty the car got on the way home from the car wash.
Checked wheel stud torque 200 km post winter wheel install.
I’m not ready for this winter bullshit.

Blakcard

Go Kart Champion
Marvelled in how fucking dusty and dirty the car got on the way home from the car wash.
You're good. Once i wash/wax the car in fall im done with carwashes until 1st warm day in january.. .then next one is March sometime lol :lol:

Snow tires go on tomorrow... marvelled at how many accidents there were on the 401/404 last night...smh.. it's fricken snow. just drive appropriately ffs

uglybastard

Go Kart Champion
salting already in OT? jeez.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I asked the shop I took my car to when timing chains are usually ready for replacement and they said about 105k miles. But they added that they felt that this was usually with cars that go with VW’s recommended 10k oil change interval.

I’m guessing mine went to 138k because I switched to 5k intervals at 80k miles. Had I gone with 5k changes from the start I’m guessing it would have gone even longer.
I've always been doing 10K changes. I did send off a few oil samples for analysis over one of the OCIs a few years ago to make sure the oil still wore okay, though.

However, I might rethink 10K if it potentially means the new chain will go longer, especially since I've been having to add a couple of quarts in between changes anyway. Then again, isn't the new version of the chain supposed to be more stretch resistant too?

uglybastard

Go Kart Champion
I've always been doing 10K changes. I did send off a few oil samples for analysis over one of the OCIs a few years ago to make sure the oil still wore okay, though.

However, I might rethink 10K if it potentially means the new chain will go longer, especially since I've been having to add a couple of quarts in between changes anyway. Then again, isn't the new version of the chain supposed to be more stretch resistant too?
most shops i have talked to seem to have the anecdotal evidence that supports 5k>10k for chain longevity. i think the thought process is that keeping things adequately lubricated helps as much as possible, which is best done at the 5k intervals.

Short Bus

Go Kart Champion

What did the lab results say about the 10k OCI? Any mention of fuel dilution due to direct injection or increased metals related to the timing chain?

Like uglybastard said, it seems like we more or less only really have anecdotal evidence to go off of. I don’t actually know if a 5k OCI will help, but oil is cheap enough that it’s not much of a bother.

Ashwarawu

DIY'd my timing chain yesturday, hell of a day for the forums to be down. Now to sit and wait while the lower cover sealent cures and I get a replacement cam magnet shipped. Damn connector broke 10 minutes into the job! Had the cam bridge screen blown at as well. Lucky break, the screen was in one piece sitting on the edge of the oil channel and was super easy to remove.

BudgetPhoenix

Go Kart Champion
DIY'd my timing chain yesturday, hell of a day for the forums to be down. Now to sit and wait while the lower cover sealent cures and I get a replacement cam magnet shipped. Damn connector broke 10 minutes into the job! Had the cam bridge screen blown at as well. Lucky break, the screen was in one piece sitting on the edge of the oil channel and was super easy to remove.
yeah same with mine, I was able to easily pull it out. I removed the remaining bits of the screen stuck to the check valve and reinstalled it without it.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
What did the lab results say about the 10k OCI? Any mention of fuel dilution due to direct injection or increased metals related to the timing chain?

Like uglybastard said, it seems like we more or less only really have anecdotal evidence to go off of. I don’t actually know if a 5k OCI will help, but oil is cheap enough that it’s not much of a bother.
I went back through my records and it looks like I sent samples off twice: 4,800mi into the OCI and 8,100mi (around the times when I had to add more oil). The parameters that changed between both:

Iron: 21ppm @ 4800mi, 32ppm @ 8100mi (+11)
Potassium: 2ppm, 3ppm (+1)
Boron: 44ppm, 40ppm (-4)
Silicon: 10ppm, 9ppm (-1)
Sodium: 4ppm, 7ppm (+3)
Calcium: 2647ppm, 2392ppm (-255)
Magnesium: 19ppm, 15ppm (-4)
Phosphorus: 932ppm, 847ppm (-85)
Zinc: 1066ppm, 985ppm (-81)
TBN: 3.9ppm, 3.2ppm (-0.7)

Nothing looked like it was wearing particularly quickly but I'll think about a shorter OCI for the future regardless. (y)

smanierre

Go Kart Champion
Got an alignment over the weekend after doing the control arms and ALK. I could feel something was off when driving since the car just did not want to go straight and the steering was very touchy. It was off just a touch. Feels much better after the alignment though.

torga

Go Kart Champion
Got an alignment over the weekend after doing the control arms and ALK. I could feel something was off when driving since the car just did not want to go straight and the steering was very touchy. It was off just a touch. Feels much better after the alignment though.
How's the steering weight? Does it still feel twitchy after the alignment?

Short Bus

Go Kart Champion
Checked the toe at the front wheels, which was at 1/8 inch total toe in. Moved it a quarter turn per side towards “out” which landed it at 1/16 inch total toe in. Steering is a lot lighter just off center now and more responsive.

It’s an improvement... I’ll drive it like this for a week and maybe push it to a slight positive setting.