GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Since I mounted my small extinguisher in the rear I really wanted to have something in the forward cabin for mor immediate emergencies. Since I am vehemently anti-ECS, I stayed away from the extinguisher mount from Rennline since they are exclusively an ECS product line now. I stumbled across KAP Industries out of Australia, and their mount looked pretty sturdy and essentially equivalent to competition previously mentioned. Plus the pricetag was more attractive.

KAP Industries

The brace showed up and I confirmed it would potentially fit the daily which has stock seats. After that I immediately installed:

I ordered this extinguisher from amazon, any 2.5kg extinguisher should fit fine, I bought this one because it came with a bracket and a quick release. Bolting that up was a piece of cake.

Depending on the extinguisher and placement you'll need to bend the bar so it sits properly for access and seat sliding. But I am happy with the look and function here! The KAP website has an install DIY video, real easy to follow. But for the love of god do not use a torque wrench as a ratchet/breaker bar, as they did.

But here's some links for you all..
KAP Industries
Extinguisher
I really need to look into this. Definitely gonna run one up front and one in the back

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
20220720_173524.jpg

Calling it for the LCA today... Been fighting this thing for almost 4 hours.

Plan tomorrow is to buy a ratchet strap and wrap that around the arm and the rear bushing, using that to pull everything into alignment.

Between the Chevy rebuild and now all this crap with the Golf I'm pretty sick of wrenching right now

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
View attachment 255868

Plan tomorrow is to buy a ratchet strap and wrap that around the arm and the rear bushing, using that to pull everything into alignment.

Between the Chevy rebuild and now all this crap with the Golf I'm pretty sick of wrenching right now
I'm no engineer but I think you need that bushing in 1st. Then pry the rear

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
I'm no engineer but I think you need that bushing in 1st. Then pry the rear
I think you're right. That's how I had it for most of today. I just pulled the front end up and slid the rear in first as a last effort before I quit.

Both approaches got me to the same spot, just about 1/4 inch off where it needs to be.

I'll probably have it together tomorrow in less than an hour, then feel like a fool for struggling with it so much. Seems to be the way these things go

GolNat

Autocross Champion
View attachment 255868

Yes you want to do the center points first before attaching it to the hub.

Also when I did mine I ended up dropping the subframe a bit. Mine was a pain in the ass too.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

the_horak

Ready to race!
Just rebuilt my suspension. Koni STR.T struts (I always buy these and love them) with H&R SuperSport Springs, ECS non-adjustable rear sway bar, stiffer rubber bushings and a refresh of common wear parts like tie rods and ball joints. I love the new ride and the height is fantastic. Now I just need to recalibrate my self-adjusting HID headlights, haha

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
View attachment 255868

I used a ratchet strap when I did mine to alignment the rear mount. Like a few folks stated already, mount the front bushing (arm) first.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Just rebuilt my suspension. Koni STR.T struts (I always buy these and love them) with H&R SuperSport Springs, ECS non-adjustable rear sway bar, stiffer rubber bushings and a refresh of common wear parts like tie rods and ball joints. I love the new ride and the height is fantastic. Now I just need to recalibrate my self-adjusting HID headlights, haha
Got any pics of the ride height?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got my shift linkage all sorted out yesterday, still need to bleed the clutch line though (ignore the mess of wires):

Got the expansion tank in as well:

Oil pressure and temp sensor wires hooked up. I hooked up the grounds as well but they aren't terminated yet, I need to get some eyelets to crimp on and find a place to put them:

How i'm running the wires for now. I'll ziptie them all together, but want to run the stratified wires also beforehand since some will follow the same path I think:

Also the harness is all hooked up. It was much easier than I thought it would be with the only two tricky plugs being the water pump and fuel rail but they only took a few minutes of messing with. I have to get a nut for the bracket that attaches to the trans beneath the starter but besides that and the sensors that go on the front clip it's all set. For anyone doing it in the future, TAKE PICTURES and label everything. Labels were very helpful, but luckily I had some pics beforehand that I could zoom in and see how stuff went and it really saved me a big headache.
I went out this morning instead of going to the gym and got some more stuff done. Reconfigured my fuel pump setup. I got a longer tube so I could loop it which allows the top to compress down as shown in the pics. I also moved the pump to the other side since the white tube that stuck down from the top was also hitting and preventing compression. The line on the pump isn't seated as far as I would like, but if I have any issues i'll know where to start looking and get a better fitting line. It's on there snug with the hose clamp though so i'm not expecting any issues, especially since it doesn't move.

Install into the tank went smoothly:

Hooked up the battery and turned the key and huzzah, fuel is flowing:

Passenger side axle torqued down, the brace on the bottom that blocked the pendulum bolt also made this a bit of a pain but by rotating the axle I was able to get some better access.

Unfortunately, I didn't check the drivers side one before tightening down all the mounts so now this one is stuck below the flange and has no play to get it above. I'll loosen the ball joint and drop the control arm which should let me pull the hub out enough to get it in place. I'll need an alignment anyways from the new suspension so i'm not worried about undoing the ball joint.

After that is done i'll be figuring out the mounting of the oil cooler on the front clip and then get that on and all the sensors hooked up. Hoping to have it at the shop next week for the manifold, although it'll probably get delayed from something 😒

smanierre

Autocross Champion

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
I have one and I love my stupid DV spacer. But, I am a 37 year old child. Until it causes a rich code or I get tired of cleaning oil off my undercarriage I'll keep it. That third bolt is crazy easy if you have a lift, haha, I'm spoiled that way...

Good to know I'm not alone in being a 30-something child. I'll be 34 in a couple of months.

I wish I had access to a lift!

the_horak

Ready to race!