GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Found out what the clunking noise was coming from the rear. sounded like exhaust hitting ended up being the sway bar bushing slipped out.

1691954781035.jpeg

ST suspension 26mm bar, bushing material looks like shit. I flipped it around and we’ll see how long it holds before the flange tears again.

Any recommendations for replacement 26mm? All I can find is stock

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Fixed my throttle pipe coupler, ezpz. However I need to say fuck you to the diverter valve and whoever decided that putting it where it is was a good idea. This was my second time working on a DV in the car; last time I installed this DV the engine was out. Great, that made it easy to install and I could properly torque every bolt!

Except now I can't use my screwdriver bit holder, the only thing appropriately sized for the DV area, to undo the bolts as they're too tight 🙃 I tried for 30 minutes and was unable to get any movement from two of the three bolts. I gave up and decided my mechanic can do it.

Drive bits for a ratchet are the key, and come in handy surprisingly often. I think I've a decently large kit in 3/8, and some in 1/4 drive. Paired with an extender and a stubby ratchet life was "easy."

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Drive bits for a ratchet are the key, and come in handy surprisingly often. I think I've a decently large kit in 3/8, and some in 1/4 drive. Paired with an extender and a stubby ratchet life was "easy."
I was using a stubby t-handle bit driver and couldn't produce enough torque to free the back bolt, and ran into clearance issues on the top bolt. I'll have to run to harbor freight and pick up that little ratcheting 3" bit driver they have and try again this weekend. In my eyes, this is up there for worst simple fix on our cars, alongside pulling the downpipe off the turbo. Really anything where I can't use a torque wrench makes me uneasy.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I was using a stubby t-handle bit driver and couldn't produce enough torque to free the back bolt, and ran into clearance issues on the top bolt. I'll have to run to harbor freight and pick up that little ratcheting 3" bit driver they have and try again this weekend. In my eyes, this is up there for worst simple fix on our cars, alongside pulling the downpipe off the turbo. Really anything where I can't use a torque wrench makes me uneasy.

Yeah it was a tight area to work in, hence the sarcastic quotes for "easy." I think I had to do the tape trick on the bolt head too. Wish I could find a full set of magnetic drive bits ... that link there might be a big help for you.

I also have a stubby ratcheting screwdriver and I can't remember if I might have used that in there with a hex bit, but that could be an option as well.

==

In actual "What did you do to your Mk6" news, it wasn't today, but I finally bothered to use my OBDEleven to program in gauge sweep and comfort windows. Now I just have to remember to use the comfort windows :ROFLMAO:

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it was a tight area to work in, hence the sarcastic quotes for "easy." I think I had to do the tape trick on the bolt head too. Wish I could find a full set of magnetic drive bits ... that link there might be a big help for you.

I also have a stubby ratcheting screwdriver and I can't remember if I might have used that in there with a hex bit, but that could be an option as well.

==

In actual "What did you do to your Mk6" news, it wasn't today, but I finally bothered to use my OBDEleven to program in gauge sweep and comfort windows. Now I just have to remember to use the comfort windows :ROFLMAO:
I love the gauge sweep!

zrickety

The Fixer
Comfort windows allows you to roll up/down with your key fob
I coded this years ago and completely forgot about them lol
But my locks are not reliable anymore, so it's usually open with the windows down already.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Comfort windows are the best. Park my car, get out, lock and roll my windows up.
Also I thought '13s couldn't do the gauge sweep?

Cwmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
...lucky.

You guys probably know this.. the Weather-Tech door visors are really nice and I have no complaints. I especially like how it says "Weather-Tech" and then below it, "Made in Germany". Nice touch for sure.

Last edited: