GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

torga

Autocross Champion
To be honest, I was sloppy reinstalling my front end and rushed the process and when I put the front clip on, I managed to shove it on in a way that had my radiator and fan shroud pressed up against the charge pipe prior to putting in the two bolts that hold the condenser/intercooler/radiator unit in it’s proper place. I also didn’t get the tabs on the bottom lines up in there slots before pressing the front clip towards the car. I would suggest having a friend help to you when reinstalling it so you can line up the tabs on the bottom of the intercooler that slide into the two slots on the bottom of the front clip that also hold the condenser/intercooler/radiator unit in its place and then pull everything towards you to slide the little mounting bushing that sit on the upper side of the IC or the IC delete into the designated area on the front clip.

After doing it several times without draining the coolant, draining the coolant would be wise, especially if doing it alone because it makes moving around all of your cooling system components 100x easier than when your rad is full of coolant and wants to just fall straight down when you’re putting the front clip on.

It was my fault at the end of the day for trying to remove my FMIC and put the stock one back in and have my front end back on within a couple of hours and thought I could get away with being a bit careless by shoving things on when you need to be delicate especially if you don’t drain the coolant. What happened to me isn’t something that needs to be cautious of, I was just being ignorant about the process. I’ve done it about four other times, but took my time doing it and never had issues.

Draining the coolant isn’t really necessary but if you don’t have a friend or some type of contraption to hold up the cooling components in their place relative to where they mount on the front end while your removing and installing everything, save yourself the struggle and drain the coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, thanks for those tips! I think I'll drain the coolant because I've been meaning to anyway. I need to replace a hard coolant pipe (bolts to the intake manifold) because I'm getting a very slow leak from it. I believe there's a hairline crack that's letting a teeny bit of coolant seep out when the engine bay is up to temp.
So, I can drain the coolant and not worry about making a mess of replacing that hard pipe, and have an easier time of a FMIC while I'm at it!

pdan

Ready to race!
do you use any Iron-X or similar products?

No, I’ve been shamefully bad in the wax/sealant/protection game. I try to wash it when I can, but I don’t have anywhere with access to a hose and have gotten yelled at before for bucket washing at some of the spray places ha. Need to look into that stuff more

pdan

Ready to race!

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
No, I’ve been shamefully bad in the wax/sealant/protection game. I try to wash it when I can, but I don’t have anywhere with access to a hose and have gotten yelled at before for bucket washing at some of the spray places ha. Need to look into that stuff more

Sounds like you’re a prime candidate for rinseless wash.

Optimum No Rinse and Wolfgang Uber are both great products.

torga

Autocross Champion

I've never been yelled at once for bucket washing at a spray stall. Sounds like you live around a bunch of assholes who don't care about their paint.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I’m trying to install a Vibra-Technics subframe mount, but I can’t get my lazy ass to the garage to get it done.

i hear there's free candy in the garage

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
i hear there's free candy in the garage

It’s true. I found some Twizzlers. I love Twizzlers.

Also, removing the stock rubber pieces is a pain in the ass. I always try to be gentle any time I work on the car, but after breaking a drill bit in the rubber and going through a half a dozen Dremel cutting discs I grabbed the reciprocating saw. The nuclear option did the trick.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
It was all going so well until one of my brand new swaybar bolts snapped. Thankfully it was easy enough to extract, but I’m going to call it a day and finish up tomorrow. All that’s left is to torque the swaybar and pendulum bolts, everything else is good to go.

Also, +1 on the recommendation for Optimum No Rinse. Really good stuff. If your car is extra filthy it’s probably a good idea to hit it with a coin op pressure wash first, then use the ONR on it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
It’s true. I found some Twizzlers. I love Twizzlers.

Also, removing the stock rubber pieces is a pain in the ass. I always try to be gentle any time I work on the car, but after breaking a drill bit in the rubber and going through a half a dozen Dremel cutting discs I grabbed the reciprocating saw. The nuclear option did the trick.
Doing it the hard way. Use a Dremel and cut the plastic outer ring instead of trying to cut the rubber out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Doing it the hard way. Use a Dremel and cut the plastic outer ring instead of trying to cut the rubber out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah that was the original plan. I’m not sure if my hand wasn’t steady enough or my cutting discs were too old, but they kept binding and breaking.

If I were to do it all over again I’d just skip straight to the reciprocating saw, I felt like I had more control because it’s big enough for both hands. One quick cut to the plastic ring and they came right out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Anyone going to OCMD this weekend???

Depending on my work schedule I might be going down. Won’t know till Thursday or Friday.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Early thoughts on the Vibra-Technics subframe mount...

Two thumbs up, would buy again.

Little to no extra vibrations felt, if anything just a bit more at idle with the A/C on. I'm sure it'll smooth out when it's broken in. Note: I have a 6MT, not DSG.

I bought it because the car would lurch a bit at high RPMs when getting off the brakes and rolling onto the throttle. I thought the problem was drivetrain lash and it turns out I was right, this reduced that significantly. I can still get a bit of lash at times, but I'm fairly sure that it's the void in the stock pendulum's rubber bushing that's causing it. The 034 Motorsports street density engine and transition mounts I have are playing nicely with it.

Up-shifts are a bit cleaner, but shifter feel during heel/toe high RPM downshifts is significantly better.

There's still a little bit of wheel-hop. Maybe when I get around to upgrading the pendulum I'll see that go away.