GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I asked the shop I took my car to when timing chains are usually ready for replacement and they said about 105k miles. But they added that they felt that this was usually with cars that go with VW’s recommended 10k oil change interval.

I’m guessing mine went to 138k because I switched to 5k intervals at 80k miles. Had I gone with 5k changes from the start I’m guessing it would have gone even longer.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I checked mine and it was at 4.55, when I did the job I had the new style tensioner, but it was fully extended so definitely needed to be done.

yeah i've always assumed it was the measured tensioner position or something.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
My chain and all related components got warrantied at 30k miles when I first bought my gti. Now at 75k miles, I’m starting to here a rattle randomly on warm starts again. Same noise it was making when my “chain was considerably stretch and could have jumped timing at any moment” <— that’s what the service advisor told me at Volkswagen the first time haha. I guess I should pop off the tensioner peep cover to see how far my tensioner is pressed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if anything just see which revision they put in at 30k...

SJC

Ready to race!
Took it through the car wash to get the salt dust off.
Sprayed the new coil overs with Fluid Film to attempt to slow down rusting.
Marvelled in how fucking dusty and dirty the car got on the way home from the car wash.
Checked wheel stud torque 200 km post winter wheel install.
I’m not ready for this winter bullshit.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Marvelled in how fucking dusty and dirty the car got on the way home from the car wash.

You're good. Once i wash/wax the car in fall im done with carwashes until 1st warm day in january.. .then next one is March sometime lol :lol:

Snow tires go on tomorrow... marvelled at how many accidents there were on the 401/404 last night...smh.. it's fricken snow. just drive appropriately ffs

GolNat

Autocross Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

salting already in OT? jeez.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I asked the shop I took my car to when timing chains are usually ready for replacement and they said about 105k miles. But they added that they felt that this was usually with cars that go with VW’s recommended 10k oil change interval.

I’m guessing mine went to 138k because I switched to 5k intervals at 80k miles. Had I gone with 5k changes from the start I’m guessing it would have gone even longer.

I've always been doing 10K changes. I did send off a few oil samples for analysis over one of the OCIs a few years ago to make sure the oil still wore okay, though.

However, I might rethink 10K if it potentially means the new chain will go longer, especially since I've been having to add a couple of quarts in between changes anyway. Then again, isn't the new version of the chain supposed to be more stretch resistant too?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I've always been doing 10K changes. I did send off a few oil samples for analysis over one of the OCIs a few years ago to make sure the oil still wore okay, though.

However, I might rethink 10K if it potentially means the new chain will go longer, especially since I've been having to add a couple of quarts in between changes anyway. Then again, isn't the new version of the chain supposed to be more stretch resistant too?

most shops i have talked to seem to have the anecdotal evidence that supports 5k>10k for chain longevity. i think the thought process is that keeping things adequately lubricated helps as much as possible, which is best done at the 5k intervals.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

What did the lab results say about the 10k OCI? Any mention of fuel dilution due to direct injection or increased metals related to the timing chain?

Like uglybastard said, it seems like we more or less only really have anecdotal evidence to go off of. I don’t actually know if a 5k OCI will help, but oil is cheap enough that it’s not much of a bother.

Ashwarawu

Passed Driver's Ed
DIY'd my timing chain yesturday, hell of a day for the forums to be down. Now to sit and wait while the lower cover sealent cures and I get a replacement cam magnet shipped. Damn connector broke 10 minutes into the job! Had the cam bridge screen blown at as well. Lucky break, the screen was in one piece sitting on the edge of the oil channel and was super easy to remove.