GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
DIY'd my timing chain yesturday, hell of a day for the forums to be down. Now to sit and wait while the lower cover sealent cures and I get a replacement cam magnet shipped. Damn connector broke 10 minutes into the job! Had the cam bridge screen blown at as well. Lucky break, the screen was in one piece sitting on the edge of the oil channel and was super easy to remove.

yeah same with mine, I was able to easily pull it out. I removed the remaining bits of the screen stuck to the check valve and reinstalled it without it.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
What did the lab results say about the 10k OCI? Any mention of fuel dilution due to direct injection or increased metals related to the timing chain?

Like uglybastard said, it seems like we more or less only really have anecdotal evidence to go off of. I don’t actually know if a 5k OCI will help, but oil is cheap enough that it’s not much of a bother.

I went back through my records and it looks like I sent samples off twice: 4,800mi into the OCI and 8,100mi (around the times when I had to add more oil). The parameters that changed between both:

Iron: 21ppm @ 4800mi, 32ppm @ 8100mi (+11)
Potassium: 2ppm, 3ppm (+1)
Boron: 44ppm, 40ppm (-4)
Silicon: 10ppm, 9ppm (-1)
Sodium: 4ppm, 7ppm (+3)
Calcium: 2647ppm, 2392ppm (-255)
Magnesium: 19ppm, 15ppm (-4)
Phosphorus: 932ppm, 847ppm (-85)
Zinc: 1066ppm, 985ppm (-81)
TBN: 3.9ppm, 3.2ppm (-0.7)

Nothing looked like it was wearing particularly quickly but I'll think about a shorter OCI for the future regardless. (y)

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got an alignment over the weekend after doing the control arms and ALK. I could feel something was off when driving since the car just did not want to go straight and the steering was very touchy. It was off just a touch. Feels much better after the alignment though.

torga

Autocross Champion
Got an alignment over the weekend after doing the control arms and ALK. I could feel something was off when driving since the car just did not want to go straight and the steering was very touchy. It was off just a touch. Feels much better after the alignment though.
How's the steering weight? Does it still feel twitchy after the alignment?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Checked the toe at the front wheels, which was at 1/8 inch total toe in. Moved it a quarter turn per side towards “out” which landed it at 1/16 inch total toe in. Steering is a lot lighter just off center now and more responsive.

It’s an improvement... I’ll drive it like this for a week and maybe push it to a slight positive setting.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
100k service. new struts, springs, sway bar links, brake calipers, all three wipers, inspection. Put on winter tires/rims (just in time for 14" of snow today!) Balance, alignment. Good for the car. Not so great for the bank account.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Why didn't they adjust the rear at all?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
How's the steering weight? Does it still feel twitchy after the alignment?

The steering is pretty heavy but I like it. Snaps right back to straight if I let go of the wheel. It doesn't feel twitchy at all after the alignment which is a big relief.
Why didn't they adjust the rear at all?

It was at a firestone so my expectations are pretty low from them. I just got it there since I knew I needed one badly and i'm putting my winters on soon so it's not too important everything be dialed in. In the spring i'm gonna take it to a shop near me and have them get everything lined up, get all the camber the same, and do a corner balance on it. That along with a new set of tires should have me pretty set to embarrass myself at some autox events.

torga

Autocross Champion
The steering is pretty heavy but I like it. Snaps right back to straight if I let go of the wheel. It doesn't feel twitchy at all after the alignment which is a big relief.
That's good to hear. Can't wait to get my suspension in tip top - should be some time in the spring. I'm heavily considering a set of Aeris coils as well. Still between that and BC but I'm leaning Aeris.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
20191112_091615.jpg
well... looks like the ice won today.. 300K on the clock. Busted rad (it's barley resting against the engine)..supports..hood..bumper..lights etc..cue the music. Surprisingly... no air bags went off. Glad for that!
Of course they send the sand/salt trucks AFTER I tell the police how many other cars are having near misses. I'm really happy i swapped my winter tires on Saturday... who knows what it could have been with all season tires.

Wonder if i can get my lip and mud flaps off. You know how much i love my mud flaps LOL;)