GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
IMG-7173.jpg

installed these.. not today but over the weekend ☺

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I picked up a set of OZ Alleggerita HLT SE wheels (18x8 ET45) with 235/40/18 Dunlop Direzza IIs for a pretty good price. They are 18lbs each, quite a weight saving from the 28lbs Detroits I was planning to use. These will be my track day/AutoX wheels, but I'm looking forward to seeing them on the car.

This isn't mine, and they are 17x7s, but it close enough to see what they will look like on the car.

GTI on VWR springs by Abe Froeman, on Flickr

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I picked up a set of OZ Alleggerita HLT SE wheels (18x8 ET45) with 235/40/18 Dunlop Direzza IIs for a pretty good price. They are 18lbs each, quite a weight saving from the 28lbs Detroits I was planning to use. These will be my track day/AutoX wheels, but I'm looking forward to seeing them on the car.

This isn't mine, and they are 17x7s, but it close enough to see what they will look like on the car.

GTI on VWR springs by Abe Froeman, on Flickr

You will enjoy the lighter wheels especially for track/autoX.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My biggest problem with my 4 door is just how awkward it is to rest my arm on the window. The b-pillar pushes my arm too far forward and I can't get comfortable. All of my cars have been 2 door and I do a ton of driving with the windows down, so this has been a weird one to get over. I really like having back windows I can roll down though.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
My biggest problem with my 4 door is just how awkward it is to rest my arm on the window. The b-pillar pushes my arm too far forward and I can't get comfortable. All of my cars have been 2 door and I do a ton of driving with the windows down, so this has been a weird one to get over. I really like having back windows I can roll down though.
I do miss having a 2 door, particularly my Mk4 GTI in reflex silver ?.
I don't even rest my arm on my window anymore it's definitely an awkward position on a 4 door.

However lookswise, I do prefer the Mk6 in 4 door, Mk4 in 2 door and mk7 in 2 door.

jhstl

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool. BTW, have you had a chance to install a momentary switch to close the valve?
Not yet. I have the switch sitting in the garage just haven't had time to get around to it. I'll post some pics once the weather gets nicer and I have some time to tinker around in the garage.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Being a cheapskate with a lathe I decided to make my own wheel hangers. I bought two 14x1.5 x 80mm bolts at the hardware store. They were marked $4.89 each, but the guy rang them up for $.49 each. When I pointed out his mistake he re-rang them up for $1.29 each and said thank you for being honest. I turned the heads off and then used a roundover mill on the end so that they don't scratch up my wheels.

IMG_7294.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
Mann, if I had access to some simple fab/machining tools, I'd be spending a whole lot less money on this car. I miss working at a shop...

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I used to work with a dude that had these "custom" wheel hangers. I asked him where he got them... He went and took a stock lower control arm bolt out of this bucket by the alignment machines(14x1.50) Then he cut the head off, ground it down smooth and handed it to me. :ROFLMAO: I was like whhhutt lol

zrickety

The Fixer
Hangers are cool and all, but doesn't the hub more or less hold it in place? Then I start a bolt by hand with the socket...
But I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about a stud conversion. LIKE EVERY OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD HAS.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Hangers are cool and all, but doesn't the hub more or less hold it in place? Then I start a bolt by hand with the socket...
But I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about a stud conversion. LIKE EVERY OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD HAS.

Yea it works pretty good if you have hub centric wheels... lol. Hangers are useful if wheels are heavy af(like a GL or G wagon.) Also if you're working on carbon ceramic brakes. Don't want to damage a 3k rotor... ZR1 vettes actually had a rotor protector foam piece that could go on the disc.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Yea it works pretty good if you have hub centric wheels... lol. Hangers are useful if wheels are heavy af(like a GL or G wagon.) Also if you're working on carbon ceramic brakes. Don't want to damage a 3k rotor... ZR1 vettes actually had a rotor protector foam piece that could go on the disc.
I still find using the hub to be a PITA. I have a hanger and I really like it. It's especially useful when you're zipping bolts out with an impact gun, otherwise the wheel likes to come right off.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Today I learned that even though the OZ Alleggerita HLT's have ball seats they need lug bolts that are 8mm deeper than stock. :(

I got a set ordered from Amazon.

Blobb9

Hey, how’s everyone doing. Today i found out my rear main seal is leaking and my valve cover is also leaking. I was told I should get a new engine but i don’t have the money for that. So is it safe to replace all gaskets and seals for my car instead of getting a new motor? The car is at 120k.