GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Hey, how’s everyone doing. Today i found out my rear main seal is leaking and my valve cover is also leaking. I was told I should get a new engine but i don’t have the money for that. So is it safe to replace all gaskets and seals for my car instead of getting a new motor? The car is at 120k.

Wow why did they say it needs a new engine?

Blobb9

Wow why did they say it needs a new engine?
I was told if my valve cover is leaking then there’s possibly oil in my turbo and that it should be rebuilt. I’m not buying it, so I’ve talked to 3 other mechanics and they basically told me that it would need to be re-sealed and replace all the gaskets and I should be good.

zrickety

The Fixer
Hey, how’s everyone doing. Today i found out my rear main seal is leaking and my valve cover is also leaking. I was told I should get a new engine but i don’t have the money for that. So is it safe to replace all gaskets and seals for my car instead of getting a new motor? The car is at 120k.
Sounds like a new PCV valve is in order. You can get the iAbed billet rear main seal and never have to worry about it again. The valve cover is just some black silicone. You're talking a couple hundred bucks, plus labor. A far cry from a new motor. I literally just rebuilt one that had timing failure, you don't need to spend $3k+ on a couple leaks.

Blobb9

Sounds like a new PCV valve is in order. You can get the iAbed billet rear main seal and never have to worry about it again. The valve cover is just some black silicone. You're talking a couple hundred bucks, plus labor. A far cry from a new motor. I literally just rebuilt one that had timing failure, you don't need to spend $3k+ on a couple leaks.
Thank you so much! Rear main is the most expensive job outside of timing right?

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
New shoes...heavy rain + one of those metal plates they put on the road to temporarily to cover road work = two blown driver side tires. ?

zrickety

The Fixer
New shoes...heavy rain + one of those metal plates they put on the road to temporarily to cover road work = two blown driver side tires. ?
I would talk to the town, maybe they will help out. Love your avatar, car looks mean.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
I would talk to the town, maybe they will help out. Love your avatar, car looks mean.
Thanks! Yes, I called and left a message...fingers crossed!
I ordered 215/35s and 215/40s...now to decide. ?
35s look great, but after this, I think a lil more sidewall may be in order. ?

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you so much! Rear main is the most expensive job outside of timing right?
Auto or Manual? Probably worth doing the clutch while your in there if it's a manual.

PhillyDSG

Passed Driver's Ed
Ordered my protune last night. Boost pipes, and intercooler arrived last week.

Tomorrow if all goes well, the new intercooler, turbo, hard pipes, and tune go on. I think I'll keep to the sleeper look for a bit longer lol

Attachments

• 20200131_180733.jpg
    20200131_180733.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • 20200131_140952.jpg
    20200131_140952.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 117
  • 20200103_172756.jpg
    20200103_172756.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20200206-213519_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200206-213519_Chrome.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 109

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Bags and management showed up today! time for some new lows

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Ordered my protune last night. Boost pipes, and intercooler arrived last week.

Tomorrow if all goes well, the new intercooler, turbo, hard pipes, and tune go on. I think I'll keep to the sleeper look for a bit longer lol

That a boss kit i see? 5 or 600? ?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Got all my clutch parts. Just waiting for the RMS, misc bolts and I have to buy a support bar.
5D8775A2-1113-420B-AD8C-B1AFDBA6DEA2.jpeg

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Got all my clutch parts. Just waiting for the RMS, misc bolts and I have to buy a support bar.
View attachment 164810
Exciting! In case you didn't know, the flywheel only bolts up one way. On the end of the crankshaft this is indicated by a number stamped between two of the holes. These line up with the small extra hole on the flywheel located between the flywheel bolts. I did not know this and you won't realize until you have installed 7 of the 8 bolts (last bolt won't go in). Since I didn't know this I had to figure out by trial and error...kept rotating and installing the bolts until it worked haha a big pain since the DMFW is a heavy SOB to hold while installing bolts.

Also don't forget to install the intermediate plate before you bolt up the flywheel! It's very easy to forget.

When are you installing?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Exciting! In case you didn't know, the flywheel only bolts up one way. On the end of the crankshaft this is indicated by a number stamped between two of the holes. These line up with the small extra hole on the flywheel located between the flywheel bolts. I did not know this and you won't realize until you have installed 7 of the 8 bolts (last bolt won't go in). Since I didn't know this I had to figure out by trial and error...kept rotating and installing the bolts until it worked haha a big pain since the DMFW is a heavy SOB to hold while installing bolts.

Also don't forget to install the intermediate plate before you bolt up the flywheel! It's very easy to forget.

When are you installing?

I do remember reading about that in your thread. Thanks for the reminder because yeah that would be a PITA. I'm surprised at how heavy it is!!!!

I made sure to buy the Victor sealant also. Is the sealant for around the billet flange part? I have not received the iABED RMS yet so I am not sure if it has some sort of instructions. I am going to print the VW RMS install sheet for reference.

This plate?

1581110752832.png

Install is the week of Feb 17th. Took the whole week off for my daughters bday and to do some stuff around the house and figured why not throw a clutch install in the mix ?. I have never done one but figured when things don't go as planned I will have a week to get it straight. I'm sure I won't have a tool or something at some point despite preparing for a month now.