GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
For anyone else looking to tap the OEM manifold (jay is hater on this method--so not him :p), here's another good thread from someone who did the same thing on an A5. I'm going to put up a little DIY on this once I'm done, but I'm no expert, so take it for what it's worth ;)

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I finished my exhaust awhile ago but never posted it. I mean it's an exhaust , kinda boring but here it is mounted slightly off center on my dirty ass gti:

Attachments

• 20201215_142626.jpg
    20201215_142626.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 99

jedred1

jedred1
Hit a dip in the road and didn't think to much of it drove maybe 10 - 15 mi home. About 20 min later drove to get beer 1 mi away. When I got home as pulling in to the garage I saw what I thought was water all over in the car bay. It’s been mostly dry all day? It ended up being oil from my losend Futomo valve. So drained what was left (2 letters maybe) tightened the valve. Replaced oil . Put like 1 inch of cat litter over spill. Didn’t even get a chance to drink my beer 😩

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Hit a dip in the road and didn't think to much of it drove maybe 10 - 15 mi home. About 20 min later drove to get beer 1 mi away. When I got home as pulling in to the garage I saw what I thought was water all over in the car bay. It’s been mostly dry all day? It ended up being oil from my losend Futomo valve. So drained what was left (2 letters maybe) tightened the valve. Replaced oil . Put like 1 inch of cat litter over spill. Didn’t even get a chance to drink my beer 😩

I've had a similar experience with one of those Failmoto valves. Like you I snagged it on some unknown thing. Next morning the garage floor was covered in oil. New drain plug, crush washer & oil fixed it. Oh yes, loads of cat litter on the ness. No more drain valves for me, it is easy just pulling the drain plug.

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah those valves always fuck people up

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I haven’t been able to get out to the garage to scratch the “fiddle with stuff” itch so my head is free to dream about projects I wish I could be doing but probably shouldn’t and right now it’s stuck on finding a broken engine to tear down and maybe put back together.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
No more drain valves for me, it is easy just pulling the drain plug.

I finally went to the dark side about a year ago and went extractor. It makes the change in the A3 extra nice since the filter is on top of the engine bay. lol

Today I emptied the catchcan, lots of water in there. I even used a heatgun to heat up the hoses and can a bit since it's been sitting in below freezing weather for a couple weeks waiting on the motor mounts and it was in the low 30s this morning. Still puffed some smoke when I started it and halfway up the block. I did the fender screw mod, car came with 225/40/19s and rubs slightly under hard cornering while breaking. RT side nut insert broke and was spinning freely, after trying to pop/break it out to get the screw out and scratching up the fender tab a bit I finally just took the wheel off and removed the liner completely to get pliers up there to hold it so I could get the screw out. Now I have to get some anti-rust sealant on the tab to seal it.

After that I took it for a dive with the new motor mounts. Good news is the odd clacking noise in the engine bay is gone, it was the worn out transmission mount vibrating for sure. Shifting feels so much better and direct now that the drivetrain isn't wobbling around. The NVH of the Stg2 mounts is real, the clatter at idle it sounds like a Peterbilt. LMAO Turning off the AC as suggested does help but doesn't solve it. But holy tightness batman, I need to drive it more, might be in my head but it feels so much smoother at higher RPM, more responsive. Probably just noticeable because my old mounts were destroyed.

torga

Autocross Champion
After that I took it for a dive with the new motor mounts. Good news is the odd clacking noise in the engine bay is gone, it was the worn out transmission mount vibrating for sure. Shifting feels so much better and direct now that the drivetrain isn't wobbling around. The NVH of the Stg2 mounts is real, the clatter at idle it sounds like a Peterbilt. LMAO Turning off the AC as suggested does help but doesn't solve it. But holy tightness batman, I need to drive it more, might be in my head but it feels so much smoother at higher RPM, more responsive. Probably just noticeable because my old mounts were destroyed.
I had the opposite reaction to my BFI mounts. Granted, mine are Stage 1 (70A vs 90A). They were immediately SO much smoother than the BSH set I previously had. They simultaneously felt smoother/softer as well as tighter and more direct -- the whole rev range is responsive and super velvety. NVH is definitely reduced with these mounts over the BSH set. It almost felt like my engine wasn't running while waiting at a stoplight.

Which coincidentally, is what I did to my Mk6 today. Myself and @CowTownRacer swapped out my mounts as well as my upper timing cover.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Guess there's my answer--going to buy the stage 1 mounts!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
The mounts settle in after time. Only ruckus I hear over exhaust note is my flywheel

Yup, took it for another long drive today and they have definitely calmed down. Can barely feel it in my seat and there's not even the HINT of vibration in the shifter. The only change is the noise of the flywheel (as soon as the clutch is depressed the noise winds down and ends), and what's funny is I was remarking to the wife that it's sort of like a soundakator. LOL It sounds like the exhaust note is louder. So lots of N but really no V or H.

I'd actually be willing to try out a Stg 3 mount if they made one but these Stg 2s are pretty darn good. Totally glad I got these.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion

torga

Autocross Champion
Scuttled on over to the market today. Love overcast skies, they totally hide how filthy the rain makes my car.

PXL_20201220_174216839-01-01-01.jpeg

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I'm rocking stage 1 mounts now and don't have the power ambitions to need anything more than that.

In your case, how much power are you really intending to throw down that would require very rigid mounts?
I'll top out between 350 and 375. I think the stg 1 will be fine for that.