GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Phur

Autocross Champion
Good monday mornin yall. Hope you all called yo mamas yesterday.

Hard no.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Picked up my car after corrosion warranty repair. The shop they sourced the work to cracked the plastic trim on one of the doors they repaired, so not too happy about that. Also have a sudden airbag error, that I'm assuming they triggered at some point while working on the car - not sure how they missed that before giving me the car back.

And finally my right outer taillight and turn signal are suddenly not working. Tried replacing the bulb and didn't solve it, but while doing so noticed that the connector looks a bit corroded, possibly due to leaking wiper fluid in tubing between car and hatch (need to fix that at some point). Especially since the turn signal came back for a bit, and then went out again.

Not exactly what I was hoping for when I went to pick it up...

Attachments

• 1620688579471.png
    1620688579471.png
    13.2 MB · Views: 71

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Picked up my car after corrosion warranty repair. The shop they sourced the work to cracked the plastic trim on one of the doors they repaired, so not too happy about that. Also have a sudden airbag error, that I'm assuming they triggered at some point while working on the car - not sure how they missed that before giving me the car back.

And finally my right outer taillight and turn signal are suddenly not working. Tried replacing the bulb and didn't solve it, but while doing so noticed that the connector looks a bit corroded, possibly due to leaking wiper fluid in tubing between car and hatch (need to fix that at some point). Especially since the turn signal came back for a bit, and then went out again.

Not exactly what I was hoping for when I went to pick it up...
I'd ask VW to cover the repair of thag as well, when one briings in a car for warranty work its unacceptable to return to customer like that...

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I'd ask VW to cover the repair of thag as well, when one briings in a car for warranty work its unacceptable to return to customer like that...
Definitely unacceptable. I would document it and confront the dealer respectfully with the idea that if they don't play ball you are ready to take up with VWoA

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Definitely unacceptable. I would document it and confront the dealer respectfully with the idea that if they don't play ball you are ready to take up with VWoA
Fortunately saw it before leaving and showed it to staff at the dealer and they agreed it shouldn't happen. It was right at the end of the day so said they give me a call today. Definitely will be pushing for them to cover the cost on that. Not like it was a worn part that failed/broke for reasons out of their control

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Ive never even seen that trim piece broken honestly. Someone at the body shop must have hulked out on it

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Noise is a bad swaybar endlink.

Feeling pretty good that I was able to diagnose it properly based on feel and sound from behind the wheel of the car. I should see about getting one of those fancy ASE stamps.
Then you'd be Certified MrFancyPants.... has a nice ring to it

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
My coolant leak, which I can now confirm is real....

I removed the belly-pan for a closer look and there's dried coolant on it, dead center, towards the rear edge. The secondary coolant pump is covered in dried coolant as are the two rubber hoses that come down to it. From the top of the car looking down the two lines that come from the secondary lead up to a plastic pipe that wraps around the passenger side of the engine with two rubber hoses coming off of it, one heading to the turbo and the other to the reservoir.

At a connection where a rubber hose comes from the secondary up to the plastic pipe, there's a mess of coolant. So my guess is either the plastic pipe is cracked above where it meets the rubber or it's leaking at the connection between the plastic and rubber.

There's no evidence of coolant anywhere else as far as I can see. I can't see the water pump very well, but it doesn't seem to be coming down from that at the bottom of the engine, the radiator looks fine, and the main hoses are clean.

I'm going to go start the car and let it run until the fans kick on and see if I can see anything. I'm not sure how the secondary pump engages, but if I can get it to kick on maybe I can see the actual leak.

*edit* - I'd take a picture but it's hard to get a good angle for the camera... there's a lot of dried coolant where one of the hoses from the secondary meets the plastic pipe built up at the connection, so I'm guessing that's the problem. I'd remove it but that means draining the coolant and I don't have an air compressor to drive my vacuum tool, so I'll be holding off on that for a moment.

*edit #2* - from under the car I can see a bit of fresh coolant on a reinforcement piece holding the plastic pipe together, which is above where the rubber hose connects to it. My money is on a small crack around that spot. Looks like a pretty easy fix; might have to take the throttle body pipe off for easy access to the hose clamps but otherwise it looks like it should come out pretty easily.

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
When I backed the car out of the garage to get it back into it’s spot the end-link noise seemed even louder over the bump where my house’s foundation meets the driveway. I wonder if digging my fingers around in the grease to feel for a torn boot caused that.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Body shop has ordered replacement trim piece and will replace it on the spot once it's in, so that's good

Also got booked in with VW Friday to have have Airbag Error scanned and cleared hopefully (body shop guy said he thought was probably related to work on front passenger door) and get outer taillight connector fixed

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Body shop has ordered replacement trim piece and will replace it on the spot once it's in, so that's good

Also got booked in with VW Friday to have have Airbag Error scanned and cleared hopefully (body shop guy said he thought was probably related to work on front passenger door) and get outer taillight connector fixed
That's good. I hate when shops try to pass off this type of work. If the tech breaks something, they should fix it prior to the car leaving.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
That's good. I hate when shops try to pass off this type of work. If the tech breaks something, they should fix it prior to the car leaving.
Unreal pic man, gave me a chuckle

But yes 100% agree, feel like the broken bit and the airbag probably were known by somebody before it got back to me. That or they didn't do a good job inspecting it before returning it to me. Whatever, life goes on