GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Today?

Oh, nothing much...................just money-shifted coming out of Snapping Turtle Chicane at Hallett Raceway. RaceChrono shows I hit 8435 RPM. Something bound up in the shift linkage at the same time so the next two corners I limped in what I THINK was second hoping I could get to the pits. Then it let me shift again and engine was fine, so I went 8/10s until pit entry but everything felt fine so I just finished the session with no issues.

No CEL, haven't scanned for soft codes yet but ran another session with no engine issues. Guess I got lucky. Thought the wife was going to kill me.....all I could think of was should I rebuild it or go TTRS 5cyl swap. lol

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Today?

Oh, nothing much...................just money-shifted coming out of Snapping Turtle Chicane at Hallett Raceway. RaceChrono shows I hit 8435 RPM. Something bound up in the shift linkage at the same time so the next two corners I limped in what I THINK was second hoping I could get to the pits. Then it let me shift again and engine was fine, so I went 8/10s until pit entry but everything felt fine so I just finished the session with no issues.

No CEL, haven't scanned for soft codes yet but ran another session with no engine issues. Guess I got lucky. Thought the wife was going to kill me.....all I could think of was should I rebuild it or go TTRS 5cyl swap. lol
Yikes

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If you want to hear your turbo more you need to get an intake not exhaust.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
and remove turbo muffler

does this add any turbo whistle? I have the turbo back COBB system and been considering making a pipe to replace that section
if you want to make noise just to make noise and attract 12 year old bois... get a honda or a subaru

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
I know you get more turbo noise with the intake than exhaust. I was asking like when its sitting there idling theres that little bit of a whistle. heard a mk6 like this and just sounded menacing, probly not till I go K04
and remove turbo muffler

if you want to make noise just to make noise and attract 12 year old bois... get a honda or a subaru
you are right, sorry, I forgot mk6 gang was against hearing engine/turbo noises. that stuff is for kids :rolleyes:

FYI not trying to shake the neighborhood but as an enthusiast I still enjoy the sounds these cars make while being mostly performance oriented.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
How are you going to add more turbo sound by making the exhaust louder? Think about it for 2 seconds

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I know you get more turbo noise with the intake than exhaust. I was asking like when its sitting there idling theres that little bit of a whistle. heard a mk6 like this and just sounded menacing, probly not till I go K04

you are right, sorry, I forgot mk6 gang was against hearing engine/turbo noises. that stuff is for kids :rolleyes:

FYI not trying to shake the neighborhood but as an enthusiast I still enjoy the sounds these cars make while being mostly performance oriented.
good point... add one of these on the hatch too
1623085603397.png

1623085551192.png

remove the turbo muffler, and add CAI and you will get some turbo noise... loud enough to hear anyways...

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
How are you going to add more turbo sound by making the exhaust louder? Think about it for 2 seconds
I see what yours saying, not adding more sounds as much as altering the sound already out of it. maybe Im just ignorant to how a muffler would eliminate the whistle kind of like how you can hear a Diesel trucks turbo idle from across the parking lot from changing the exhaust. Im not too concerned just thought about making a pipe in place of the muffler to swap out for when I auto cross

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I see what yours saying, not adding more sounds as much as altering the sound already out of it. maybe Im just ignorant to how a muffler would eliminate the whistle kind of like how you can hear a Diesel trucks turbo idle from across the parking lot from changing the exhaust. Im not too concerned just thought about making a pipe in place of the muffler to swap out for when I auto cross
It isnt even that complicated. What im saying is, if you add MORE exhaust noise by deleting the mufflers you are going to have a harder time hearing anything but the exhaust. So making the exhaust louder will actually give you 'less turbo sounds'.

They make BOVs and DV spacers for the very reason you seek. It will make some loud BTBTBTBPSSSSSHT sounds but they make these cars run bad. VWs like the air recirculated, not dumped into atmosphere. Also with the spacers it tends to shoot oil out of it so people usually get a nice mess of oil on the underside of their engine

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
It isnt even that complicated. What im saying is, if you add MORE exhaust noise by deleting the mufflers you are going to have a harder time hearing anything but the exhaust. So making the exhaust louder will actually give you 'less turbo sounds'.

They make BOVs and DV spacers for the very reason you seek. It will make some loud BTBTBTBPSSSSSHT sounds but they make these cars run bad. VWs like the air recirculated, not dumped into atmosphere. Also with the spacers it tends to shoot oil out of it so people usually get a nice mess of oil on the underside of their engine
Ill drop it since it doesnt seem like my question is being understood, vdubnick might have answered with turbo muffler delete. thanks for the input tho

Last edited:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion

Ill drop it since it doesnt seem like my question is being understood, vdubnick might have answered with turbo muffler delete. thanks for the input tho

Pretty sure @Cclark6146 is asking about the actual "fffssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh" noise of a turbo spinning, not a BOV "Pshew" dumping the boost to atmo. I have asked the same question before, because my Saab's turbo was much more audible when in boost.

- Making the exhaust louder is going to hinder your ability to hear the turbo
- Consensus I've seen so far is to do the open filter style Stg2 intake and don't do exhaust work

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
What did you do to your MK6 today?
Attracted little bois

You seem to not understand the physics of it all. Also your question was if you'll hear more turbo noise from modifying the COBB exhaust like I did, everyone fully understands that question and answered accordingly and you honestly got quite a pass from most, these guys can be ruthless when it comes to dumb shit lmao.
I guess I was kind of vague the when I first asked. while idling seems to be the part thats being missed when I elaborated on it. while sitting still. idling, no accelerator input what so ever. some cars you can hear the turbo spool at idle with an exhaust, some you cant. my understanding of how an exhaust system works if the muffler portion is disrupting or absorbing the faint spool while our tiny factory turbos are idling