GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
With a leaky front tire I had enough of chasing it at the gas station.
Went from 225 Indy 500 to 235 Hercules Raptis R-TS

Sizing swallowed that gap between the rim and tire and looks better. I was going to replace with 500's again... but pricing and investigation told me the Raptis would offer similar performance and saved me $$
What wheels do you have? They look nice

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
What wheels do you have? They look nice
Thanks! The center cap is a glued on VW sticker. Been on for about 5yrs I think?
Got them a while back... ART replicas 18x8 +35 offset.

torga

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion
Good start on a rear seat delete.

My GTI is the first car I've ever had tinted windows on. I thought in the past I didn't need that, now I'll never be without tint again.
Lately, I have been wanting my window tint just a bit darker. I don't want to have any issues at night. The current tint isn't discolored or anything, and no bubbling, but I think that it has faded a bit. It has been on the car for at least 5 1/2 years with no garage. I'm not sure what kind it is because it was done by the previous owner. I am not going to get it redone until I get the go-ahead from the minister of finance to upgrade to ceramic tint, including probably a 70% on the windshield. I have way too much other stuff though. It will be back-burnered for quite some time.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
i.e. the cheapest alloy that meets spec 😂
That's most metals these days. Did some work involving stainless steel equipment at work a while back. Looking at the spec sheets, it was just barely enough of the right components to meet 316L SS specifications

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Lately, I have been wanting my window tint just a bit darker. I don't want to have any issues at night. The current tint isn't discolored or anything, and no bubbling, but I think that it has faded a bit. It has been on the car for at least 5 1/2 years with no garage. I'm not sure what kind it is because it was done by the previous owner. I am not going to get it redone until I get the go-ahead from the minister of finance to upgrade to ceramic tint, including probably a 70% on the windshield. I have way too much other stuff though. It will be back-burnered for quite some time.
I have a window shade since my rear seat windows dont move. Forget where I got them but works and looks great with my rear window shade.

torga

Autocross Champion
That's most metals these days. Did some work involving stainless steel equipment at work a while back. Looking at the spec sheets, it was just barely enough of the right components to meet 316L SS specifications
No sense in spending any more money than you have to, tbh. To quote Dom Toretto on the 20th Anniversary of The Fast and the Furious, "Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning."

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
These are on stock springs... 335 Kilometers... 10yrs... sagging? Must be. Still feels good driving though...but I'm sure a fresh suspension /springs would transform it
Eh, they’re probably fine. Although I’ve heard that VW springs are prone to breaking at some point, but I haven’t seen much of that happen to the mk6 just browsing various forums.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
No sense in spending any more money than you have to, tbh. To quote Dom Toretto on the 20th Anniversary of The Fast and the Furious, "Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning."

Conversely, I could buy something that barely meets spec for $5K and replace it 3 times in 5 years, or I could do a little bit of homework and buy something that exceeds spec for $8K and not need to replace it at all over 5 years :unsure:

torga

Autocross Champion
Conversely, I could buy something that barely meets spec for $5K and replace it 3 times in 5 years, or I could do a little bit of homework and buy something that exceeds spec for $8K and not need to replace it at all over 5 years :unsure:
If a material meets spec for a product designed to last 10 years, then you won't have to replace it in 10 years, assuming it's used properly. That's what "spec" means.
Having to replace something more frequently than stated usually either means improper use, or a knockoff using inferior materials.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
If a material meets spec for a product designed to last 10 years, then you won't have to replace it in 10 years, assuming it's used properly. That's what "spec" means.
Having to replace something more frequently than stated usually either means improper use, or a knockoff using inferior materials.

One of the maintenance engineers at work sits across the corner from me. More than once we've had this talk: "yeah the machine was designed [read: specced] to use X material on this wear part, but if I can get this machine shop to make me the same part with Y material [read: exceeds spec] we won't have to replace the part nearly as often."

See also: iAbed RMS, aluminum water pumps ;)

torga

Autocross Champion
One of the maintenance engineers at work sits across the corner from me. More than once we've had this talk: "yeah the machine was designed [read: specced] to use X material on this wear part, but if I can get this machine shop to make me the same part with Y material [read: exceeds spec] we won't have to replace the part nearly as often."

See also: iAbed RMS, aluminum water pumps ;)
Ok, but now you're talking about increasing service life by using a part made from a different material.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Ok, but now you're talking about increasing service life by using a part made from a different material.

Sure, but I was talking about that the whole time. Service life of item 1 below is 0.6 yrs, service life of the beyond-spec item 2 is 5 yrs.

==

We could recommend that everyone buys the OEM plastic water pump which is specced for our engine, but we've all seen that by buying the aluminum water pump which exceeds spec people get better results.