GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Today I changed my broken drivers side front window switch with a new one. It took 2 plastic pry tools and 2 credit cards. Twenty minutes, 2 cables disconnected, switch the switch and pop it all back together. Start by prying on the left side buy the mirror adjuster knob you will hear a snap. Then move to the top above the mirror adjuster knob and work around to the left side. Once the top and left and right sides are loose pull the whole cluster up and forward and it should be free of the door panel. Now work on disconnecting the switch wires. 2 plugs; one for the mirror adjuster knob and one for the window switches. Now you can take the switch cluster to your work bench and work the window switch cluster out of the bezel with the 2 credit cards. Snap the new one in and plug things back and snap the whole thing back in the door. The Ebay part I used to replace it with: Genuine OEM VW 5K4-959-857-A-XSH Driver Front Master Power Window Switch. The vid I watched to figure things out; How to Replace Master Window Switch 06-10 Volkswagen GTI - YouTube. I have a 4 door so obviously 4 switches.
Another way to do that is to pull the door panel off and squeeze the tabs from the inside and push away.

The way you described does work but when I did that I broke that plastic fascia that the switch sits in because I brute forced it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Another way to do that is to pull the door panel off and squeeze the tabs from the inside and push away.

The way you described does work but when I did that I broke that plastic fascia that the switch sits in because I brute forced it.
You brute!
😂

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion
How much? Anything under 1 quart per 1000 mi is within spec.
Is it really?? I had no idea. I check my oil fairly regularly and it always looks fine.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Is it really?? I had no idea. I check my oil fairly regularly and it always looks fine.
I hear that a lot but in my mind no decent, healthy engine should use oil at that rate. So if I hear a lot of that coming from a certain make and model and just note that their engines are garbage.

My GTI’s engine didn’t lose/use a drop for the first 80k miles, then it slowly crept up to a quart every 5k miles. When I had the timing chain done I had the top of the engine resealed and at 145k it‘s back to not losing any at all.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Today was a busy day, prepping for a car show do i want stuff looking nice.

1. Washed and waxed. Not sure if I will continue to wax the CF hood, looked ok but figured a wax layer couldn't hurt. Now it's got a glazed over look i don't like. Will re evaluate when i wash again later this week.

2. Installed some sewn diamond leatherette floor mat things I have had for a while. Look ok, will get pics later in the build thread.

3. Swapped out my center console arm rest for one with gray stitching. I did lose a fairly important looking part that prevents me from fully lowering the thing but it sits low enough to be fine for now. Little metal peg with a spring. Oh well in sure I'll find it. But the thing looks great and matches the ebrake cover I got that had the same stitching color (gray)

4. I've been running without upper grille since installing the seibon hood. Put the ABT style grille on again this year. Repainting the emblem is in progress.

5. Lastly I have the USP Motorsports clean bay bolt kit 75% installed. I need a 6.2mm drill bit for 4 of the things. Who the fuck designed this. Going to use a 1/4" drill bit and hope for the best, it's pretty close though. That will go down tomorrow hopefully.

I am sunburned and hangry but glad to have stuff going again.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Today was a busy day, prepping for a car show do i want stuff looking nice.

1. Washed and waxed. Not sure if I will continue to wax the CF hood, looked ok but figured a wax layer couldn't hurt. Now it's got a glazed over look i don't like. Will re evaluate when i wash again later this week.

2. Installed some sewn diamond leatherette floor mat things I have had for a while. Look ok, will get pics later in the build thread.

3. Swapped out my center console arm rest for one with gray stitching. I did lose a fairly important looking part that prevents me from fully lowering the thing but it sits low enough to be fine for now. Little metal peg with a spring. Oh well in sure I'll find it. But the thing looks great and matches the ebrake cover I got that had the same stitching color (gray)

4. I've been running without upper grille since installing the seibon hood. Put the ABT style grille on again this year. Repainting the emblem is in progress.

5. Lastly I have the USP Motorsports clean bay bolt kit 75% installed. I need a 6.2mm drill bit for 4 of the things. Who the fuck designed this. Going to use a 1/4" drill bit and hope for the best, it's pretty close though. That will go down tomorrow hopefully.

I am sunburned and hangry but glad to have stuff going again.
Oh yeah I also reconnected my hood release and all that nonsense since I broke the handle after the seibon hood install. I no longer have a pair of vise grip pliers on my dead pedal.

jedred1

jedred1
I replaced my serpentine belt for the first time (90127mi). Just 3 tools and 20 min all from the top. 17mm socket, breaker bar, and 4mm Allen key to hold the tensioner pulley in place. This
helped too. I didn't remove any panels or raise the car at at all.

jedred1

jedred1
Ok, I got board and went and replaced my fuel filter as well. A dental pick, Philips driver, and a flat head as well. And this DIY:
Be ready with a shop towel for the inevitable fuel leakage / spray. To minimize spray let your car sit for a few hours. Undo the gas cap to undo pressure in the system and put it back on . For those few hours do not open the drivers door as it causes the fuel pump to prime increasing the spray.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Ok, I got board and went and replaced my fuel filter as well. A dental pick, Philips driver, and a flat head as well. And this DIY:
Be ready with a shop towel for the inevitable fuel leakage / spray. To minimize spray let your car sit for a few hours. Undo the gas cap to undo pressure in the system and put it back on . For those few hours do not open the drivers door as it causes the fuel pump to prime increasing the spray.
Opening the gas cap is a good tip. I didn’t think of that. The first time I did mine, I didn’t let it set for long enough and ended up with a face full of gasoline. I did not enjoy it. The second time went much better, but still had what felt like a decent amount of gas come out and run down my wrist. The gas cap trick would’ve likely reduced that quite a bit.